JH Audio JH-3A
Jun 3, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #61 of 2,681
consider 300.00 twag balanced ( on sale ) + 475.00 for the protector = 775.00 so its really only 300.00 more for a custom dsp / amp combo with cable not too bad in my book if indeed the improvement is as great as jerry says which I myself believe will be given his track record.
Just my .02

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #62 of 2,681

Quote:
consider 300.00 twag balanced ( on sale ) + 475.00 for the protector = 775.00 so its really only 300.00 more for a custom dsp / amp combo with cable not too bad in my book if indeed the improvement is as great as jerry says which I myself believe will be given his track record.
Just my .02

It's not the amplifiers price that gets to us. It's how your custom IEM's are rendered useless with other sources. It removes an advantage that custom IEM's are known for, PORTABILITY. But, I myself don't mind though. Since I can manage a HiFiMAN HM-801 and RSA Protector outside.

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #63 of 2,681
I somehow doubt it would render the IEMs useless

remember, all they are doing is removing the crossovers, which is then done electronically in the JH-3A.  However, you could easily make an adapter cable that includes the same type of passive crossover that exists in the stock IEMs - i would imagine this would be quite painless

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #64 of 2,681
El_Doug, at this point that sounds a bit optimistic. Jerry himself has said that the mod renders the IEMs single use only. It would require a lot of insider knowledge to create a remediating cable, if ithis is possible at all.

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #65 of 2,681
I'm seeing qutie a bit of reiteration and grumbling of what is obvious and already mentioned in Jude's post regarding how expensive this setup is, and how inflexible it is. Bottom line is: either you're going to buy it, or you won't. The only seemingly valid criticism I read is about how current JH owners will be "punished" for having to pay more. IMO, it's not really a justified complaint for 2 reasons:

1. You have to consider the cost of labor to modify the IEMs perhaps including: carefully drilling open the enclosure, taking out unnecessary parts, rewiring (or replacing) a few things, then finally sealing the enclosure.
2. You should also take into consideration that you got the benefit of enjoying the amazing sound from your JH13/16's way before the rest of us will be able to. There's a reason why some people were willing to pay $1000+ for the XBOX360/PS3 on eBay on the first few days of their release when there wasn't enough to come around.

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #66 of 2,681

Quote:
El_Doug, at this point that sounds a bit optimistic. Jerry himself has said that the mod renders the IEMs single use only. It would require a lot of insider knowledge to create a remediating cable, if ithis is possible at all.

why not?  If the IEM drivers can be thought of as standard speakers then you should be able to rig up a crossover network in a small container.  You probably won't be able to exactly replicate the sound of regular JH13/16s, but given enough trial and error I don't see how you couldn't get pretty close.

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #67 of 2,681

Quote:
Just to be clear. Does this mean that the JH13/16 has to be used with this amp if you go this route and will no longer be useful with any other amp or straight from a source? It's portable, but not exactly stick in your pocket portable like an imod with a small amp strapped to it. 

hes Rob, that is exactly right.

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #68 of 2,681

Quote:
I somehow doubt it would render the IEMs useless

remember, all they are doing is removing the crossovers, which is then done electronically in the JH-3A.  However, you could easily make an adapter cable that includes the same type of passive crossover that exists in the stock IEMs - i would imagine this would be quite painless

I think this is not going to be at all possible, remember each set of these IEMs is tuned for 'room response' in an artificial head, each EQ and crossover would be slightly different and you would need inside knowledge of this process in order to replicate it for your own head. 

all the same, while not as simple as you say, it would be 'possible' to make your own 6 channel DAC, with digital XO and tune to your own taste, I think the idea of using a simple passive EQ is doable too, but I cant see the results as being very desirable; unless you had it in the connector (an issue in itself) using SMD caps and R's. if you had it anywhere else, each signal would have a long distance between the driver and the XO, phase distortions galore

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #69 of 2,681

Quote:

I think this is not going to be at all possible, remember each set of these IEMs is tuned for 'room response' in an artificial head, each EQ and crossover would be slightly different and you would need inside knowledge of this process in order to replicate it for your own head. 

all the same, while not as simple as you say, it would be 'possible' to make your own 6 channel DAC, with digital XO and tune to your own taste, I think the idea of using a simple passive EQ is doable too, but I cant see the results as being very desirable; unless you had it in the connector (an issue in itself) using SMD caps and R's. if you had it anywhere else, each signal would have a long distance between the driver and the XO, phase distortions galore

i did not realize that each IEM had a different crossover.  does this mean when people buy used JH13/16's and have them reshelled, they are getting an inferior product, since they are not retuned to match the new buyer's molds?  i dunno, this doesnt sound right

edit: there is very little going on with the internal crossover, surely not enough to suggest that each earpiece is individually tuned... I do not see why you couldnt put these small beads into an adapter

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #70 of 2,681
^^ You'd be surprised by all the recabling too for balanced - that will also mess up the frequency response because they will make the transducers and the cross over network go wonky. I'd stay with stock, or if JH bring out a balanced cable, go with that as it will be 100% meant for JH products rather than someone else's idea of what goes on in the JH13Pro.

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #71 of 2,681

Quote:
^^ You'd be surprised by all the recabling too for balanced - that will also mess up the frequency response because they will make the transducers and the cross over network go wonky. I'd stay with stock, or if JH bring out a balanced cable, go with that as it will be 100% meant for JH products rather than someone else's idea of what goes on in the JH13Pro.

you're saying that bridged amps are bad for jh-13s?

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #72 of 2,681
I'm saying that the rush for special cables for the new iems - surely do change the sound, but I'd not buy one unless it is JH's own cable. They affect the cross overs and... as fun as that is, you are getting further from the true sound of the earphone.

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #73 of 2,681
dunno whos seen this so ill post it.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/jh-audio/its-as-simple-as-taking-out-the-crossovers-or-is-it/402052617282

they wrote up a bit about what they have to do to convert the jh-13's to 3a's

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #74 of 2,681
I wonder if Jerry will plan mounting the crossovers on a special cable (a bulb or something like this containing the crossover parts and mounted on the cable near the jack or before earpieces  )...this way I think the portability will not be killed and the customs will be useful with another amplifier and source... We shall see, but I think this will be the next step 
popcorn.gif

A crossover-cable that would make your customs portable and transferable again...

I'm really digging this, and I have to get used with IEMs...
regular_smile .gif

beerchug.gif

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #75 of 2,681

Quote:
dunno whos seen this so ill post it.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/jh-audio/its-as-simple-as-taking-out-the-crossovers-or-is-it/402052617282

they wrote up a bit about what they have to do to convert the jh-13's to 3a's

That mean's each amp, the JH3A, is unique to the corresponding JH13/16 and not entirely interchangeable, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back