JH Audio JH-3A
Mar 5, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #2,476 of 2,681
I wonder if they treat their "rock star" clients in the same cavalier fashion as the normal folks who put so much faith and patience in their products.

Personally, at the beginning I was very interested in this product and followed events as I am usually not an early adopter kind of guy to see what folks thought of the final production unit.

Having now seen what truly is a debacle of lousy business practice it matters not how sonically wonderful this product is, the company seems to have little or no integrity when it comes to customer service when it comes to difficult choices. Somehow I feel if this had been a small producer elsewhere who had done this they would have met with far more serious consequences.

No matter how many set backs have taken place it is no excuse, each and every one has been handled badly by JH Audio and having followed this thread from the start the number of times folks have been treated badly by them in this matter is astonishing and simply not acceptable. We now don't even know if the product that comes out is going to be the same as what was shown at CANJAM and the latest error appears (and one can only assume due to atrocious communication skills at JH)  not to be rectified but simply the specifications altered in the marketing.. Unbelievable!

And what do they give as a sweetener, a hood sweatshirt that advertises their company. As my fellow countrymen in the UK would put it. They are royally taking the Pi$$!

What will happen when units start going wrong (with all the cack handed handling of this that must be a scenario that will occur!). Will they fudge excuses with that as well?

Honestly, this is a high priced ticket item but folks are not being treated like high paying consumers. For me, well it has made me never want to go near this company no matter how good sounding their products are, I just do not trust their business practices and no one seems to be protecting the consumers interests and considering a large amount have come from this forum I find it amazing no one from JH has joined here and given regular updates.

To see how it is done properly just look at Ken over at ALO, transparency and honesty all the way with the solo, now that is a man I am happy to give money to!

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #2,477 of 2,681
For the record, they have never altered the specs of this product on their website... to verify that compare their current site to Judes original post that started this thread.  He pasted the entire spec list from their site, and it still matches. 

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #2,478 of 2,681

Quote:
For the record, they have never altered the specs of this product on their website... to verify that compare their current site to Judes original post that started this thread.  He pasted the entire spec list from their site, and it still matches. 

I thought there has been talk a couple of pages back about the one item now being optical instead of Coax?

This from Threads post:

"This is beyond silly. They can't even get their facts straight over there.

Yes, they just confirmed that the JH3A will in fact have an OPTICAL input and NOT a COAXIAL one.

So I guess they're changing their official specs to match the manufacturer's mistake. Some are happy, some are disappointed. Oh well."

How about that shipment ETA, I wonder. The last leaked update has me thinking shipment to consumers would be next week.

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #2,479 of 2,681
one of us has misunderstood the other.  There has been talk that they actually altered the specs posted on their "website", not facebook, to match their new revelation that the input is optical instead of coax.   I thought that is what you were talking about, and was pointing out that they have not done that.

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #2,480 of 2,681
Ah,Ok.

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #2,481 of 2,681
Wow, 5 pages in 1 day! Who thinks this sucker will hit 300 before release?

I too hope the 3A is all it's been built up to be (whenever it is released)... Not only is the factory in China, but through this entire process it sure sounds like they have no clue what they are doing. Jerry should've stayed close to home on this one - there's no way he's made up in manufacturing the costs of lost customers and confidence - not to mention the product he could've been moving since his original target date.

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #2,482 of 2,681
I just hope JHA will get their act together and rectify this issue and compensate in a form much more satisfiable than a hoodie if they expect to qualify for redemption in respect and trust.

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #2,483 of 2,681
The number of portable devices (especially if you include laptops) that have toslink connectors are astronomically more common than coax. There are of course pages in this tread bemoaning the coax choice. Each has its advantages, but what I wonder is if the 3A is effectively viewed as an non-upsampling 24/192 DAC, and while coax would have no problem feeding that, toslink is often only stable to 24/96 (and coupled with USB only being 16/44.1 or 48), did the 3A just become a useable lower rate processor?

Hopefully we'll find out soon enough. Shouldn't panic until we confirm (as mentioned they've been wrong on USB stats several times).

Until then anyone want to buy a $45 coax to coax mini 20' cable? Two weeks old. Never used. :wink:

And for those considering the upside of using their MacBooks optical out, note OS X has no 88.2 toslink drivers. So while 24/192 would nicely half to 24/96, 24/176.4 (HRx and HDtracks) or 24/88.2 would go all the way back to 16/44.1, unless you resampled to 24/96 (not the end of the world).

On the bright side Apple fans, with optical Airport Express would be an option and you could use AirPlay to wirelessly stream from iPhone/iPad (16/48 max, but so would anything from iPhone/iPad). For those considering the 3A transportable anyway (I'm one of you), this might just be a great solution (including cheaply getting a digital signal out of the iPhone). Well, as long as you're near an AC outlet.

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #2,484 of 2,681
Abandon ship?
ph34r.gif

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #2,485 of 2,681
I have always  been interested in JH3A , in November i was almost set on ordering the JH3A, instead i ordered the UM miracle , Anedio D1  and another Headphone ( that is taking too long to deliver ,so i wont name it :frowning2: )
I decided to wait or JH3A's release and read its reviews, but i never expected it to be this late.

Now its not just about the Delay, now its about the fact that they change the specs at the last moment ( because the manufacturer changed it , WTH kind of reason is that !! ) . 

If i am not wrong , the December Delay was due to the fact that the finished unit's DSP was not working . I mean to say that then the product was completely finished , just at the last moment when they checked, they fount the DSP to be not working . I fail to believe that after completely finishing the product with coax (earlier they confirmed that the unit will have coax not optical) why will the manufacturer change the input to optical ? I smell something fishy here. as if they are not completely honest about the delays.

Yeah i am not someone who preordered, but i am certainly going to buy it in future ( if it is what it was promised to be ) and I have been following the thread for quite sometime now ,
THis is frustrating  me as well but, I cant imagine the pain of people who ordered it in august, and have also ordered the solo.

TO add to all this they dont even reply here .  I appeal to the mods and Administrators to ask them to reply here, cause they are one of the sponsors here , they should care what goes on  in the thread of their flagship product on the community that plays a major role in their annual income . 

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #2,486 of 2,681

Quote:
The number of portable devices (especially if you include laptops) that have toslink connectors are astronomically more common than coax. There are of course pages in this tread bemoaning the coax choice. Each has its advantages, but what I wonder is if the 3A is effectively viewed as an non-upsampling 24/192 DAC, and while coax would have no problem feeding that, toslink is often only stable to 24/96 (and coupled with USB only being 16/44.1 or 48), did the 3A just become a useable lower rate processor?

Hopefully we'll find out soon enough. Shouldn't panic until we confirm (as mentioned they've been wrong on USB stats several times).

Until then anyone want to buy a $45 coax to coax mini 20' cable? Two weeks old. Never used.
wink.gif

And for those considering the upside of using their MacBooks optical out, note OS X has no 88.2 toslink drivers. So while 24/192 would nicely half to 24/96, 24/176.4 (HRx and HDtracks) or 24/88.2 would go all the way back to 16/44.1, unless you resampled to 24/96 (not the end of the world).

On the bright side Apple fans, with optical Airport Express would be an option and you could use AirPlay to wirelessly stream from iPhone/iPad (16/48 max, but so would anything from iPhone/iPad). For those considering the 3A transportable anyway (I'm one of you), this might just be a great solution (including cheaply getting a digital signal out of the iPhone). Well, as long as you're near an AC outlet.

Your first comment is spot-on.  I was actually shocked it was analog in since I was told this was more of a desktop monitoring solution than a full portable setup (not to say there is anything wrong with lugging this around with a Solo if that was your intention).  As a result, I expected some flavor of toslink since most high-end notebooks (not just Macs) have an optical output.

What I don't understand is why would you want 88.2?  Evenly divisible bit-depth?   What is sampled at 88.2 these days?

As you pointed out though, 24/192 is standard on a Macbook.  And *most* folks are going to be playing audio that has been sampled at 16/44.1 anyway which means resampling is inevitable.

EDIT:  Wait..standard is 24/192....small correction...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3188

24/192kHz is standard on a Macbook.

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #2,487 of 2,681

Quote:
I was just wondering how Jerry only found out about this optical/coax situation only a week ago when he has had 2 units in house for way longer then that or did he just not notice, which I really doubt.
Makes me wonder if they even have those 2 units they said they did.

This is what has been stumped me as well?  I just don't know how he had the 2 units for the last month and not notice this.  Unless....the two in-house units do have coax input but when he received the new shipment in the last couple of days he discovered the change.  We really don't know.

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #2,488 of 2,681

Quote:

TO add to all this they dont even reply here .  I appeal to the mods and Administrators to ask them to reply here, cause they are one of the sponsors here , they should care what goes on  in the thread of their flagship product on the community that plays a major role in their annual income . 

They do not have an obligation to reply here, not all companies that are sponsors maintain a presence on the forums. I have spoken to them and they can not dedicate a resource to many threads here.

In my profession I often coach business leaders and managers and what I tell them is "in we fail to tell our story people will make a story up and inevitably it will be inaccurate and negative" This is due to human nature, have you ever heard people spreading false positive rumors, rarely happens. People love drama whether they want to admit it or not, this thread is a textbook example of this.

I wish JH had a full time social media person but they don't, they are a small company whose employees, particularly the front office people, pull double and triple duty. This is common in small companies.

It is unfortunate that due to the advent of the age of the crackberry and smartphone we know have created an entire generation that DEMANDS to know things IMMEDIATELY. It's been a day since the so called revelation about optical rather than coax came up. We are now in the weekend I'm sure we'll get clarity next week, until then relax people. Whether you know right this very second or tuesday or wednesday of next week your life is not going to significantly change.

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #2,489 of 2,681

Quote:
This is what has been stumped me as well?  I just don't know how he had the 2 units for the last month and not notice this.  Unless....the two in-house units do have coax input but when he received the new shipment in the last couple of days he discovered the change.  We really don't know.

I'm not sure Jerry uses the coax, at CanJam we only heard the analog in. I'm sure you are correct,  we'll hear something other than internet hyperbole soon enough

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #2,490 of 2,681

Quote:

...Come on, it's JH Audio, they've always had exceptional customer service; I'm pretty positive they're just as, or even more, frustrated than us with this matter.

Yes, there's been plenty of positive feedback regarding JH Audio's CS. But you obviously have not heard some of the not so few 'horror' stories out there; one such story, though perhaps not fully qualifying as a 'horror' story, came from one of our mods, no less. JH Audio's CS has been on quite a few occasions a far cry from that offered round mid-2009, when they were starting to sell their first product, the JH13.

The importance of good CS is something no company/ business should underestimate, specially in today's Internet age, where practically everything is reported in real-time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back