JH Audio JH-3A
Jun 6, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #196 of 2,681
Jerry just answered me about using the mini-USB as an audio input.

Quote:
Matt corrected me late in the day. He had planned for using it for
programming only. I thought it was for both. We may have change the
board a little to do this. I will find out by Tuesday what our
solution is. I want the mini USB to be an input also.

He then said,

Quote:
One way or another it will happen.

I would think this is probably the case. This feature just seems too critical to be left out.

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #197 of 2,681
I asked,

Quote:
I have to ask, though... Why would you ever ship with a USB input
without audio input capabilities? What sort of "programming" might
your consumers find themselves doing with the unit?

He responded,

Quote:
We plan on putting software and xover upgrades on the site to
download. Also we want do a Block of 5 stereo bands of parametric EQ
for the end user to have if they would want to tweak the audio for
their taste.

The USB will be an input. I just need  to know what you guys need and
with in reason we will accomadate.

Nifty!

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #198 of 2,681
Hi guys (and girls...all two of you?)

I feel as though I speak for most, if not all, of the dedicated Head-Fi followers with the following statement:

I spend the vast majority of my day accomplishing (or trying to accomplish) as many important tasks as I can manage.  My tri-weekly perusal of this forum is a "break-time" for me.  I love to read what others have to say about their setups and I have the utmost respect for those that put in even more time than me to really bring out useful information that has and will continue to shape my own purchases and the purchases of others that are in similar situations.  This is of the utmost importance when we are dealing with the realm of custom IEMs.

I want to reinforce my respect for the senior members by saying that any post from them is worth something, even if it is off topic.  This is based on the opinion that their posts are generally on-topic if not given a reason to become off-topic.  Though we can derive a sense of these people through their consistent updates, it is not at the forefront of their intentions when posting.  This is in stark contrast to other members who seem to use their posts as a vehicle through which to convey their personalities, often in a way that is not necessarily appropriate for this type of forum.  It seems to me that often we, as members, forget that we are here for headphone-related audio setups and choose to bolster our egos by talking about what we have and how darn great it is.

I think many of you understand specifically what I am referring to.  I just purchased my own set of JH-16's and as of right now, will probably be selling my D10 and upgrading the purchase to a JH-3A with 16's setup, if only they will honor the fact that my purchase is only about 4 days old and could be nowhere by the lab right now.  I do not often, post, but I am very excited about my opportunity to share my experiences with other members about whatever setup I may end up with.

It is clear that I am frustrated that out of several dozen posts in this thread so far, around half were relevant to the specific product setup at hand.  Please!  Anyone else who has heard the demo version of the JH-3A setup, I respectfully implore you to describe your experience, with as much detail about your previous experience with any JH Audio products and also the related DAC/amps that you utilized.  These types of postings really do help us all so much.

Cheers!

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #200 of 2,681
bada bing and thread, thanks for the input. All of the details are sounding excellent. The only issue will be the qualiy of USB conversion to SPDIF. This is ideally done with a dedicated high quality ($3.00) chip. I hope that they do it well. It makes a difference.

EDIT: Just saw your post, odigg. Thanks. It muddies the waters in a very nice way. :)

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #201 of 2,681

Quote:
Hi guys (and girls...all two of you?)

I feel as though I speak for most, if not all, of the dedicated Head-Fi followers with the following statement:

I spend the vast majority of my day accomplishing (or trying to accomplish) as many important tasks as I can manage.  My tri-weekly perusal of this forum is a "break-time" for me.  I love to read what others have to say about their setups and I have the utmost respect for those that put in even more time than me to really bring out useful information that has and will continue to shape my own purchases and the purchases of others that are in similar situations.  This is of the utmost importance when we are dealing with the realm of custom IEMs.

I want to reinforce my respect for the senior members by saying that any post from them is worth something, even if it is off topic.  This is based on the opinion that their posts are generally on-topic if not given a reason to become off-topic.  Though we can derive a sense of these people through their consistent updates, it is not at the forefront of their intentions when posting.  This is in stark contrast to other members who seem to use their posts as a vehicle through which to convey their personalities, often in a way that is not necessarily appropriate for this type of forum.  It seems to me that often we, as members, forget that we are here for headphone-related audio setups and choose to bolster our egos by talking about what we have and how darn great it is.

I think many of you understand specifically what I am referring to.  I just purchased my own set of JH-16's and as of right now, will probably be selling my D10 and upgrading the purchase to a JH-3A with 16's setup, if only they will honor the fact that my purchase is only about 4 days old and could be nowhere by the lab right now.  I do not often, post, but I am very excited about my opportunity to share my experiences with other members about whatever setup I may end up with.

It is clear that I am frustrated that out of several dozen posts in this thread so far, around half were relevant to the specific product setup at hand.  Please!  Anyone else who has heard the demo version of the JH-3A setup, I respectfully implore you to describe your experience, with as much detail about your previous experience with any JH Audio products and also the related DAC/amps that you utilized.  These types of postings really do help us all so much.

Cheers!

I'm in the same boat. I'll ask them first thing in the morning.

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #202 of 2,681
The kind of subtleties of improvement we are talking about here are probably going to be unnoticeable when used as a portable, except in such venues as absolutely silent hotel rooms. 

Jerry has obviously paid quite a bit to get the DSP going... I sure hope he offers a desktop version with a top flight DAC, and proper amplification for all 6 channels.  I would pay an extra $1k for that on top of the JH-3A

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #203 of 2,681

Quote:
The kind of subtleties of improvement we are talking about here are probably going to be unnoticeable when used as a portable, except in such venues as absolutely silent hotel rooms. 

Jerry has obviously paid quite a bit to get the DSP going... I sure hope he offers a desktop version with a top flight DAC, and proper amplification for all 6 channels.  I would pay an extra $1k for that on top of the JH-3A

In your signature, the HiFIMAN is your portable DAP. People who try to justify not being able to own the HiFiMAN would say exactly what you said up ahead which is in bold text. Have you heard the JH-3A to say it offers subtle improvements?

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #204 of 2,681
I am speculating, but from experience with car audio setups, significantly less power is required to drive the same setup when using active crossovers versus passive crossovers.  All current is redirected properly and not lost through passive circuitry.  Perhaps this suggests that although the power-rating of the JH-3A may be lower than other amps that are currently being employed with JH-13's/16's, there will be little to no loss of output and perhaps even a bump.

FYI, this was in response to the suggestion that a possible improvement would be to generate "proper amplification" for the IEMs.

Jun 7, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #205 of 2,681
Jun 7, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #206 of 2,681
The hifiman is my DAP because I DO use it to listen to music away from my main rig in hotel rooms and even in my bedroom (someday I'll have a dedicated bedroom setup
floatsmile.png
).  It is also my choice for top quality while still being a 1-box unit. 

I am very excited for this new product, but I hated lugging around my old h120+d10 combo.  I figure if I am going to get an ultimate setup for the ultimate (imho) IEM's, I would rather they went all-out with the DAC and amps as well, on top of the DSP, while at the same time not sacrificing anything for the sake of portability. 

Quote:
In your signature, the HiFIMAN is your portable DAP. People who try to justify not being able to own the HiFiMAN would say exactly what you said up ahead which is in bold text. Have you heard the JH-3A to say it offers subtle improvements?

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #207 of 2,681
This definitely has a DAC. All processing is done in the digital realm. Input is coaxial and now, Jerry says, he will aslo add USB. Using the analogue input will be the weak cousin since no matter how good your original DAC, you will be limited by the built-in DAC during the 'redigitization' (to coin a word...)

El_Doug, like you, my portables are actually transportables. Even sitting outside on a coffee shop patio smoking a cigar and focusing on the music, small differences become material in my experience.

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #208 of 2,681
So essentially, if this thing accepts USB input, and tomorrows iPhone announcement reveals that the new iPhone is compatible with the camera connection kit, then there is no point having a hifiman and this becomes the ultimate portable rig :D no expensive interconnects either :D

I had a thought, if there was room, it'd be sweet if the passive crossover could remain on a 3rd plug. Even if the sound was a little off, they wouldn't be rendered useless with other sources for lighter listening.

Is Craig twaging this baby up? Has that been confirmed by him? That'd be a sexy braid.

Oh and can we get a sexier connection for the iem cable? Next to the viablue it looks very unappealing.

Do we know what kind of connector it is? Not another camera adaptation like the protector?

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #209 of 2,681
Hell even if the 3rd plug was in some hidious place it'd be fine for occasional use

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #210 of 2,681
I have lots of details to share with the group and I'll do my best to do so sometime this evening.  The finished version of the JH-3A's DAC will be able to accept up to 24bit/192khz sampled input.  Jerry Harvey is collaborating with Matt Macbeth of Cyper Labs for programming of the advanced Cirrus Logic DSP chipset , who is well-known as the creator of the ALO RX amp, as well as the brains behind the "GR8" transport, now referred to as AlgoRhythm Solo, model ARTMSOLO3601, which is on track to be released late summer/early fall by ALO Audio (see pix of Matt and crew here).  The two products are not related otherwise, but they do currently use the same prototype chassis demoed.

Yes, Whiplash and other vendors will be made available the connector specs by JHA, but it is essentially a standard 8-pin XLR configuration with 4 strands going to each side (1 being Ground).

More impressions later, but here is a link to a little video I made during the event.  It's not the best quality, for which I apologize.  I was too excited to worry about best camera angles, etc.  QuickTime player is required to view, sorry I did not have time to upload it to YouTube. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back