JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jan 15, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #8,776 of 10,743
I agree with this reviewer said " if you are a bona-fide bass head, the JH13Pro will probably not rattle enough brain cells. The UE11 Pro, and ostensibly, Futuresonics’ custom earphones may better fit your needs."  You can read it here http://www.touchmyapps.com/2009/09/30/jerry-harvey-jh13pro-in-review-sex-for-your-ears/.  The reviewer has been in this forum for a long time. I also agree with him that the JH 13 do sound nice but I would like more bass without losing the meds and highs. Other earphones has acheived this.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #8,779 of 10,743

Quote:
most but not all are the same size. Westones customs fits well and are flatter with a softer material to form in the ear. Also there is a English company that makes custom earphones made of soft silicon and are flat in the ear.

Not in my experience, in fact, I found Westones to be of the contrary.  JH are the most comfortable, IMO.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #8,780 of 10,743

Guess you have funny ears bro. Westone has been making earphones for decades and many big name earphone companies have used Westone earphones as the example in making shells. You comparing your Custom JH with a custom Westone? If not then its not fair. In my case universal Westones fit in my ears perfectly. My custom JH and Future Sonics also fits in well but a lot more work getting them in and out.

Quote:
Not in my experience, in fact, I found Westones to be of the contrary.  JH are the most comfortable, IMO.

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #8,782 of 10,743

Quote:
Anyone knows if the fiio e11 is able to drive the jh13?

The player by it self is enough to drive the JH13!!!! Some times a good amp can make the difference, but I don't know about the e11 quality and sinergy with JH13 PRO.

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #8,783 of 10,743
I received my JH13 yesterday. Simply put, I love them. I did not think you could acquire such a sound stage from an IEM. :)

However, I do have one issue with them which I am going to have to shoot JH Audio an email about. There is a small amount of distortion in the right ear which is quite annoying to listen to. The distortion is most notable when listening to a piano note fade. It sounds like a plastic bag blowing in the wind (best description I can think of right now).

Notable tracks of annoyance are Diana Krall's How Can You Mend a Broken Heart and Amie Miriello's Snow.

At first I suspected that the issue was from recordings or my source. Though, no matter what I do it sticks to that right ear. I've tried various sources and amps, switching the right and left channels, and changing foobar to output mono. I'm not listening at a loud volume either, this distortion is pretty clear at 25% volume on my iPhone.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #8,784 of 10,743

Quote:
Anyone knows if the fiio e11 is able to drive the jh13?

As for my experience, you are far away from using the potential of JH13 Pro when using only this amp. The JH13 Pro will benefit when amped with a strong signal and a good DAC, or else they will likely sound to hollow, sterile and bright. I have used JH13 Pro with a Cowon D2+ and also an iPhone 4, but the sound quality is much better with my Cypher Labs Algorhythm DAC, iPod and a small, but powerful handbuild amp. I will soon acquire the Triad L3 amp with an external power supply which will be my bedside rig. Hopefully this amp will bring out even more of the potential of JH13 Pro. 

Btw, the Continental V2 is not a good match with JH13. Its for sale here.

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #8,786 of 10,743
Have you tried Sennheiser HD800?

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #8,787 of 10,743

Quote:
I received my JH13 yesterday. Simply put, I love them. I did not think you could acquire such a sound stage from an IEM. :)

However, I do have one issue with them which I am going to have to shoot JH Audio an email about. There is a small amount of distortion in the right ear which is quite annoying to listen to. The distortion is most notable when listening to a piano note fade. It sounds like a plastic bag blowing in the wind (best description I can think of right now).

Notable tracks of annoyance are Diana Krall's How Can You Mend a Broken Heart and Amie Miriello's Snow.

At first I suspected that the issue was from recordings or my source. Though, no matter what I do it sticks to that right ear. I've tried various sources and amps, switching the right and left channels, and changing foobar to output mono. I'm not listening at a loud volume either, this distortion is pretty clear at 25% volume on my iPhone.

I had a very similar problem within 2-3 months before warranty expiration. It might have been around before but I hadn't noticed it until then. JHA was quick to take care of it.

HD 800 definitely doesn't sound like the JH13. Nothing really does, IMHO.

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #8,788 of 10,743
...The HD800. I don't own own one, but I spent a considerable amount of time with it at this year's Bay Area meet. I agree, nothing can quite compare to it (at least that I've heard in the same price range). After spending only a few hours with it, it made the top of my audio must purchase list, with a Benchmark DAC1 in tow. I enjoyed the squeezebox touch → DAC1 → decent amp (like an Eddie Current or Woo)/ DAC1 Amp → HD800 setup.

As for the JH13, they were quick to respond to my email. I'll be sending mine back to them on Friday of Saturday. I assume JH resolved your issue, 3X0, and hope it goes smoothly for me.

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #8,789 of 10,743
Umm which amp would you recommend then?

Quote:
As for my experience, you are far away from using the potential of JH13 Pro when using only this amp. The JH13 Pro will benefit when amped with a strong signal and a good DAC, or else they will likely sound to hollow, sterile and bright. I have used JH13 Pro with a Cowon D2+ and also an iPhone 4, but the sound quality is way much better with my Cypher Labs Algorhythm DAC, iPod and a small, but powerful handbuild amp. I will soon acquire the Triad L3 amp with an external power supply which will be my bedside rig. Hopefully this amp will bring out even more of the potential of JH13 Pro. 

Btw, the Continental V2 is not a good match with JH13. Its for sale here.

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #8,790 of 10,743

Quote:
Umm which amp would you recommend then?

I think the cheapest one that would go well with them is Fiio E6. Clean amplification, no hiss, no channel imbalance, built-in rechargeable battery, even has a few bass boost EQs. Perhaps its only downsides would be the battery life (I think it's around 8 hours) and build--the fact that it's plastic so it doesn't look fancy, not that the thing looks like it's going to fall apart. 
Had one for a while. Just didn't see a need for it, really. Like rmappita said, the 13 will probably run fine out of your player, so you might well be chasing for improvements that don't/barely exist...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back