JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jul 15, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #8,223 of 10,743

Quote:
Congrats, hope you are a lucky one with good fit off the bat.
wink.gif

Fortunately, yes. I was a little worried, because I had impressions taken for earplugs at the same time, and those ones didn't provide a very good fit for my right ear. The JH-13s are perfect.

Having upgraded from ER-4S/HD-650s, I immediately love these. They have the clarity and detail of the ER-4S, with a better lower end and without the artificial treble; to the HD-650s (which I never liked - thought them to be like trying to listen underwater) they're incomparable.

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #8,224 of 10,743

Quote:

My JH13 do not even sound close to an O2. Completely different story.

[size=10pt]Is the O2 being spoke about in the past few posts, the one that is at least twice, if not 3-4 times the price of the JH13? Just curious. To mention them in the same breath seems like a good testament to the JH13. I know price does not indicate everything and the laws of diminishing returns and all that, but still, to even try to compete with this headphone is pretty cool, and you can wear the JH13 on the train...[/size]

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #8,226 of 10,743
My O2 was priced nearly the same than my JH13 (baught my O2 in Japan 3 1/2 years ago).

And yes, to me even the tonality is completely different between the two (only to mention one example: deep bass ist heavier with the JH13). The presentation is different anyway, because the JH13 miss the "airiness" in the presentation of the O2 and the stage.

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #8,227 of 10,743
i wanna buy an amp for my JH13s. apparently, the protector, ttvj slim, headstage arrow and pico slim seem to be the most sought after amps to pair with the JH13s. Can someone give me some impressions when paired with the JH13s?

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #8,228 of 10,743
There are already a couple threads about this over the portable amp forum
cool.gif

Quote:
i wanna buy an amp for my JH13s. apparently, the protector, ttvj slim, headstage arrow and pico slim seem to be the most sought after amps to pair with the JH13s. Can someone give me some impressions when paired with the JH13s?

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #8,229 of 10,743
I used my JH13s with AMp3 2 and a month after I bought the AMP3 2 it stopped working. Craig at whiplash audio was gracious and sent me a new one and gave me a discount of $60  from the $160 I had paid. Now less than 6 months later this one stopped working in mid playing, and I cannot get Craig to answer my warantee right for repairing it nor for any other interest to get a better model, he Ignores the 3 messages I left and he has stopped answering the phone. ( I tried 15 times to reach him again and again.) I avoided the Cowan 9 because I had read that customers were ignored by them, and now I get the same with Whiplash Audio, are they out of biz?)

Based on the below information can you suggest alternative players to replace the AMP3 2 for the JH13 to approximate all the hupala I hear in this thread praising the JH13 to be close to the O2 electrostatic Ear speakers which is so hard to believe, I wish I could hear the O2 because My HD800 seems to smoke the JH13. What am I hearing wrongly?
Please suggest a player, preferably without an amp. I also have a Ipod classic's cable to connect it to the Meier Audio Corda, portable amplifier, which I prefer not to use, I prefer a one piece player, but will go with the amp if I must, to get the best out of the JH13. Mr Meier suggested not using the HD800 with the Corda, nor underpowered players.

The sound on my JH13 and AMP3 system was never giving me good bass and as I recall the Sure 530 with a zune player 120 it had no more bass but the sound was as good if not better, than the JH13 in most of the range, with the AMP3 2.  Without A B comparing the two systems I am saying this as I used to feel about the Sure 530 While driving or while listening at work. So now I seek a replacement for the Amp3 player, I sold the Sure and the Zune for $200  regretfully.

Any suggestions? I play 320 Mp3 and flac mostly, Classical, Baroque, Flamenco guitar and female voices, Choral, Opera, Organs, and Jazz. I also have the HD800 Senheiser and totally enjoy it with the Meier Audio Symphony 2 hooked up to my computer and my TV. The JH13 seems to not be even in the same class of sound to me. The bass is fantastic compared to JH13 and the mid-range on the HD800 is superb the Opera and Organ music are unmatched, and only compare to my Tonnoy Gold English 15 inch dual concentric speakers, with the tweeters replaced by, ESS Heil Elite stand alone, and sometimes adding B&W book shelf speakers 805, where I place the bookshelf speakers near my listening place and the Tonnoy and the Heil Elite tweeters, 12 feet in front, this makes it a bit like earphone sound but the intimacy is amazing and pleasing though the sound stage is altered. The bass is fuller than in HD800 but close, not so with JH13 plugged into Meier Audio Symphony 2. I use the Meier Symphony 2 as a preamp with a MacIntosh 200 Watts Per channel MC2200 Stereo amp.

Please suggest what you think will help me get a better sound with the JH13 when I drive in my card or walk at swap meets. It is an overwhelm to read all the reviews and decide quickly.

Thnak you in advance.

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #8,230 of 10,743

Quote:
Please suggest what you think will help me get a better sound with the JH13 when I drive in my card or walk at swap meets. It is an overwhelm to read all the reviews and decide quickly.  
Thnak you in advance.

It sounds to me like you're not getting a proper seal. This is something I'm struggling a bit with myself. When I got mine comfort was good and I thought I was getting an OK seal but the right ear seemed a bit off and bass didn't seem to be quite what I remembered from my time with the demo's. After discussing with Adam I sent them back in and he did some minor work on both sides. I got them back a week ago and they're much closer, I still may have to send them back for some minor adjustments but I've finally figured out how to get them to seal properly and it does make a big difference.

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #8,231 of 10,743
Kona,can you describe more what you hear on the jh13?is it too warm?is the soundstage too constricted?

Are the mids recessed?not detailed?no enough resolution?

It is probably a fit issue because out of my iPod touch,it is better than

My home rig in every way,I still haven't connected it to my wa6 because

I send them for a 2nd refit.1mm fit issue will make a huge difference,

trust me.in the first refit Adam shorted the arms of both sides by about 2mm and the difference is

Incredible.Also do the sensaphonic seal test,it helps.I noticed on the test that one bass
note is more pronounced than the other and the sound was shifted to the right so I knew the fit was wrong.

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #8,232 of 10,743
Well I get a seal, although different on both sides.  The sound is great, but the fit is off, too big on the left and not quite tight enough on the right which makes them move a little when I walk and noisy from steps(as stated earlier).  Sooooo, new impressions this weekend after talking to Jerry.  He said if they tried once to refit and it still is wrong that it has to be the impressions and retake.  So we start over again next week.  I ordered these in early/mid May, hope it doesn't take six months when all is said and done.
confused.gif
  Got to say though, they have been nothing but helpful at JHaudio so that makes it less painful.

Jul 24, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #8,233 of 10,743

Quote:
Well I get a seal, although different on both sides.  The sound is great, but the fit is off, too big on the left and not quite tight enough on the right which makes them move a little when I walk and noisy from steps(as stated earlier).  Sooooo, new impressions this weekend after talking to Jerry.  He said if they tried once to refit and it still is wrong that it has to be the impressions and retake.  So we start over again next week.  I ordered these in early/mid May, hope it doesn't take six months when all is said and done.
confused.gif
  Got to say though, they have been nothing but helpful at JHaudio so that makes it less painful.

Not sure if this was mentioned but did you get your impressions done by the JHA Audiologist?

Jul 24, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #8,234 of 10,743
I got it done by someone on there list.  Not the first  pick but Sonus which came up in my area from them.  Got it from JHaudio website.  My new impressions are going to be done by someone Jerry works with in Los Angeles and he calls his "Go To" person, so i am hoping this will work and I will have something that i can use.  The 13's are basically new,  I stopped using them a week or two back because I had to readjust often, footfall noise, somewhat uncomfortable on left side, and want my ears undisturbed for the impression.  So there is over a grand sitting on the shelf, a bit discouraging.  I know the sound is awesome, hope i can write that it was all worth it when this is over.

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #8,235 of 10,743
anyone knows how many days the refit takes?its almost two weeks now and i havent received my jh13 that i sent for the refit,although the first time it only took 3 days since they received it.i emailed them but as you all probably know by now,i am the most unlucky guy to email them because they never reply back.
when i sent my 13s for the 2nd refit,i emailed Adam about 7 times in a week including emails to his email,customerservice and repairs and nothing got replied to.i then sent 3 emails again and emailed Jaime to take a look at them and finally Adam replied to me.

i broke the record for how many times i emailed jh audio,i estimate not less than 40-50 times  and 80% i never heard backk from them.

also do they work on friday and saturday?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back