JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Dec 27, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #6,886 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Horseman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reading about amps. I'm very happy with the sound now, but I can see how a good amp might help even more. I am a little afraid though, that once I hook up a good amp, then I won't be happy with just the Iphone, and I really like the portability as it is.

Any suggestions will be welcome.

I can't recommend any portable amps specifically for the JH-13s, since I won't have my own pair until about 36 hours from now. But I do own both the iQube and Pico (1st generation amp/DAC), each of which is a very well-respected. I can recommend them both, but if I had to choose between them, the Pico would win by a slim margin, primarily for its smaller size.

I've also been looking at the TTVJ portable headphone amp recently, as several knowledgeable people have felt this one to be an especially good match with the JH-13s.

You may want to ask around on the portable amp forum.

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #6,887 of 10,747
Quote:

I've been reading about amps. I'm very happy with the sound now, but I can see how a good amp might help even more. I am a little afraid though, that once I hook up a good amp, then I won't be happy with just the Iphone, and I really like the portability as it is.

Any suggestions will be welcome.

If you have the iPhone 3G or 3GS they already sound really nice, and if you like it to stay freely portable and lightweight uncluttered then you might want to pass on using an amp with the iPhone. The iPhone will improve noticeably with many amps and line out dock, from the $219 iBasso D4 or $275 D10, to the $375 RSA P-51. (RSA Predator, Headamp Pico and Meier 3MOVE are also quite good - see my public profile "about me" for reviews)

And, I think with a good line out dock the $99 iBasso T3 is slightly better than iPhone headphone out, but it's not as big of a difference as the others. However, it is more portable and a little fuller/spacious sounding, while being extremely small and flat.

If it were me thought, I'd say get a Woo WA6 desktop amp with pseudo dual power supply upgrade and Sophia Princess 274b tube, and use that at home with the JH13Pro and be prepared to be blown away.

Dec 27, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #6,891 of 10,747
Taken with my new lights....I must say, it's everything I expected and longed for beyond the sound. A couple of nit picks in terms of the build for the iem, but over all- a very satisfactory experience! Thank you JH and the folks at Jaben Singapore. BTW Jaben did a pretty good job with the fit...i'll evaluate it for a week before sealing my conclusion!

The box...i must say, the embossing is brilliant! Luckily it wasn't the wrong name!
4219018596_2cff38d420_b.jpg

And my very lovely customs.....thank you JH once again! A fitting tribute to my favourite series of all time-Shin Seiki Evangelion. I didn't go for both full on Nerv logos as other people have done it already, I wanted a contrast between Seele and Nerv...if anyone watches the series, they'll probably know what i'm talking about. I'm a fanboy!

4219020820_a37a1bf36d_b.jpg

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #6,892 of 10,747
Curious to how deep does the bass go does go on the JH13's?

I currently listen to the SE530, IE8 and fx500 and all are different with how deep the bass can go of which the SE530 bass is the least deepest of the three, but still has a nice prescence about it which i like which i think is in keeping with the over all nuetriallity of the SE530 sound.

The IE8 is a step up from the SE530 in terms of depth for me and is fairly bassy (bass port setting at zero) and finally the fx500's is what is term as bass junkie zone which is to me very deep in comparison to the other two.

I have recently turned my bass port setting on the IE8 to +1 after a prolonged listening to the fx500's!

So bearing in mind when (when i do aquire the 13's) and have the perfect seal, which is the nearest of the three i already have would the JH13's be in the bass department in terms of how low it can go?

cheers

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #6,893 of 10,747
HeadphoneAddict,

I don't want to steer this thread off subject, but that Woo 6 does intrigue me. I haven't had a tube amp since the early 80's when I sold my McIntosh monoblocks.

I may wait on a portable amp until Ray Samuels releases the Protector, and you review it.
beerchug.gif

Dec 28, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #6,894 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have the iPhone 3G or 3GS they already sound really nice, and if you like it to stay freely portable and lightweight uncluttered then you might want to pass on using an amp with the iPhone. The iPhone will improve noticeably with many amps and line out dock, from the $219 iBasso D4 or $275 D10, to the $375 RSA P-51. (RSA Predator, Headamp Pico and Meier 3MOVE are also quite good - see my public profile "about me" for reviews)

And, I think with a good line out dock the $99 iBasso T3 is slightly better than iPhone headphone out, but it's not as big of a difference as the others. However, it is more portable and a little fuller/spacious sounding, while being extremely small and flat.

If it were me thought, I'd say get a Woo WA6 desktop amp with pseudo dual power supply upgrade and Sophia Princess 274b tube, and use that at home with the JH13Pro and be prepared to be blown away.

Larry - how much does the Woo setup run?

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #6,896 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by brown274 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question. Is the JH Audio flying girl artwork free or do they charge you the same price as custom artwork?

That's 50$ for art work. JH do free only their logo on faceplates, JH or JHaudio.

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #6,897 of 10,747
ihp132CF->sysconcep[t optical->modded D10->cryo silver mini->FiQuest (iBasso OEM)->stranded silver cable->JH13 = OMG

and its only going to get better

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #6,898 of 10,747
Larry, you forgot to mention you need a source of matching quality

Dec 28, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #6,900 of 10,747
Quote:

HeadphoneAddict,

I don't want to steer this thread off subject, but that Woo 6 does intrigue me. I haven't had a tube amp since the early 80's when I sold my McIntosh monoblocks.

I may wait on a portable amp until Ray Samuels releases the Protector, and you review it.
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry - how much does the Woo setup run?

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, you forgot to mention you need a source of matching quality

The WA6 I have is maxed, with pseudo dual power supply and RCA 6DE7/Sophia Princess 274b tubes, but without the stepped volume pot, costing about $1250 if you had Woo build you one just like it.

I am using an Apogee mini-DAC or PS Audio Digital Link III DAC, but one could easily get away with a Nuforce uDAC (ESS Sabre 9022 for $99) or Pico DAC only (upsampling to 24/96 with Wolfson WM8740 DAC for $350) and still get very good results with the WA6 and JH13Pro.

I would like to have an RSA Protector some day, but on my list first is pay off some credit cards, get a better phono preamp, and do the Cullen mods to my PSA DAC. If Ray wants to loan me one to report on my impressions I could do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back