JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Oct 31, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #5,536 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, wait, WAIT....

So the best IEM on the market (based on the impressions I've read) suddenly needs a custom cable to "really shine...."

I hate this hobby....

[size=xx-small]K, let's be honest, it's really my wallet that hates it, but still....[/size]

LOL, these do not need a custom cable to shine
smily_headphones1.gif
They're stupid good straight out of an ipod using the default cable. This hobby's all about getting that last 5% edge in sound quality.

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #5,537 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some pictures on this thread (at the bottom)..

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f149/p...ts-etc-442942/

I guess it has been relased since I ordered it yesterday! Can't wait to pair it with my JH13 (and replace the ugly greenish clear cable).

This is a picture of the solid-core. Craig also has a very nice stranded in the works and it is better for portable use!

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #5,538 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happybottle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, these do not need a custom cable to shine
smily_headphones1.gif
They're stupid good straight out of an ipod using the default cable. This hobby's all about getting that last 5% edge in sound quality.

Yeah! But they can sound all grown-up with a cable transplant!

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #5,540 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah! But they can sound all grown-up with a cable transplant!

lol, I'm willing to admit that they might sound better with different cables but I'd really have to hear the difference for myself to believe it. I just didn't want you cable gurus scaring away the JH13 newbies away
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #5,541 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happybottle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, I'm willing to admit that they might sound better with different cables but I'd really have to hear the difference for myself to believe it. I just didn't want you cable gurus scaring away the JH13 newbies away
smily_headphones1.gif

Not Hardly Happy!! When they do hear a JH13 that "13" might be unlucky for them and the wallet! They will be hooked for life....

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #5,543 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That I'm okay with, but if it was significantly quieter than my IE8, I would start to get concerned.

To be blunt, for 4 figures, I sure as hell hope so.

But on my walk back from work today, listening to music through my SE530s, I thought of something. The SE530 is the only 'phone I've heard yet that can produce mids, which are incredibly important to me, the way I like them to sound. And not only that, but I only like them with the olive foam tips, despite what they do to the bass and highs.... And now I'm thinking about eventually slapping 1000+ dollars on a set that I haven't heard and wouldn't be able to change the sound of ever....
ph34r.gif

So Hotdoggie, having the SE530 and the JH-13 Pro, how do the mids compare?

No, the JH13 is definitely NOT significantly quieter, if at all. So no worries there.

I agree, the SE530's mids are FANTASTIC. However, I sometimes think that because the highs and the bass of the SE530 are not quite as good, the already wonderful mids get accentuated even more.

As pretty much every JH13 owners do, I LOVE my JH13s. I had been trying to figure out what quality of the JH13s I love the most. But to be honest, I love everything about the JH13s: the highs (has that sparkle yet no sibilance), the mids (I think it is better than the SE530's mids), the bass/sub bass (I thought the IE8's bass was great, but now I think they seem boomy, and less crisp/impactful than the JH13). Imaging of the JH13 is great even just straight out of my iPod Touch 3G. I mean, when I listen to certain songs, I would think to myself "Man, the highs are just beautiful! I think this is the best attribute of the JH13s". But, for some other songs, I would think it is the mids. And other songs, I would just be totally blown away by its WICKED bass/sub-bass. You get the idea. Moreover, the JH13 sounds so organic it's just incredible. When I listen to live albums especially, often it really is like the singer and the band are in the room with me--guitars, drums, piano, singers' voices, etc. all sound like the real thing. It is truly incredible how EVERYTHING (sound wise) could co-exist so wonderfully. You will be amazed when listening to a complex passage and find that the highs, the mids, and the bass could all sound so great at the same time.

With the SE530, you get great mids. With the IE8, you get really good bass and a big sound/head stage. With the JH13, you get the best of everything.

The short version of my answer would be that the JH13's mids is at least on par with the SE530, but I think they are actually even better.

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #5,544 of 10,747
Does anyone have any say regarding the physical characteristics of the JH13 itself?

As I was browsing, this site came along: My Thoughts on JHAudio’s JH13 Pro IEM | Threadbox.net

A particular comment grabbed my attention about it.

"My only real worry about the product is the fact that the TWFK driver is mounted directly in UV material. (plastic) The problem with this is that BA drivers are acceptable to shock damage."

I plan on using the JH13 for everything but specifically for exercise too.

Are there any owners out there that had a bad experience regarding the physical qualities of this IEM?

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #5,545 of 10,747
Could those with aftermarket cables for the JH13 please post photos of the wires and connector ? Only one I've seen is the Whiplash solid core, quad braid cable in Craig's prototype thread.

It would be fun to compare the stock cable (looks to be same OEM as Westone) with the relatively inexpensive offerings from Whiplash and Null (Luna & Enyo), and the ultra expensive ones derived from Crystal Cable (Null Crystalino and Jaben Piccolino). I'm sure there are differences, though all share a common weak link in the modular connector to the shell.

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #5,546 of 10,747
With the money for those crazily expensive cables, I'd rather spend on upgrading to a hi-end source. The Jh13s do benefit from sources better than amps. Somehow I feel they don't need a lot of power from desktop amps but a high resolution source would be great for them.

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #5,547 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the money for those crazily expensive cables, I'd rather spend on upgrading to a hi-end source. The Jh13s do benefit from sources better than amps. Somehow I feel they don't need a lot of power from desktop amps but a high resolution source would be great for them.

X2, the same reason I got an iMod/iQube recently

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #5,548 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Happy!?! Did you ever get the right ear to fit good n' proper?

Not yet! Just sent them back yesterday. If you go back a few pages in this thread you can read all about it
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #5,549 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detrex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys. I ordered the JH13 Pro yesterday with my debit card. I got the order confirmation and everything and printed it out. Prior to all of this I got my ear impressions. So I shipped my ear impressions along with the order confirmation print outs to JH Audio's Lab. They should arrive this Monday afternoon. The thing is JH Audio hasn't charged my card yet...Anyone experience this before?

Yeah, that happened to me. In my case, they tried charging my card (credit, not debit) at some point in the process and it got denied for some reason. On the day I expected them to ship, JHA called me to tell me that the card they tried had been denied. I called the CC company, cleared everything, they charged it again, and boom, they were out the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back