JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Oct 29, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #5,476 of 10,743
After six months of hearing nothing but praise, I think I'm finally convinced that I need to get myself a pair of JH13s. I do have one question, though, about the build: will they become fragile in subzero temperatures? I walk back-and-forth to work all year long, and during the winter, exposed cables tend to get stiff in the bitter cold. Should I worry about them being damaged by the cold, or the cable becoming liable to cracking and snapping?

I have listened to my Shure E530s for three consecutive winters now, without any problems (although I am careful about removing them when they're cold, and I don't roll them up and put them away until they've had a chance to warm up). Given the price differential, though, I'd be much more leery of exposing the JH13s to those kinds of conditions if I thought they could be damaged.

Perhaps I should ask this question in three months (unless any south-of-the-equator users have some recent experience using them in the cold.) But I have a brief financial window of opportunity right now...

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #5,478 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by cujobob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd email them and ask.

Yes, I did that a few days ago. I still haven't heard back: I expect they're busy filling orders and what-not. I thought I would just check the owner community, also.

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #5,479 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's say the iPhone 3GS has 20 volume steps (it probably has more, but I have no idea). Then, I listened to the IE 8 at 6/20 and I listen to the JH13 at 10/20; both sound comfortably loud.

Ahhh ok, got it now, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #5,480 of 10,743
Ok now you guys are having me worried.

It seems either:

1) im deaf as a a bat
2) my iPhone 3GS is broken
3) my JH13s are deficient
4) my music sucks

I think its 4), but im going to check again this evening.

Cheers
Xavier

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #5,481 of 10,743
I just got off the phone with Zac, they haven't started making mine yet, but he said they'd put them on the list to get made tomorrow and shipped around Monday. They sound very busy though, so that's a good thing for them
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by badwisdom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It seems either:

1) im deaf as a a bat
4) my music sucks

Cheers
Xavier

Are you using Lossless? if not, what bitrate music files? Also, this is why I get a hearing test done when I go in for each set of impressions. No use spending the $ on the best cans you can get if your hearing isn't up to spec.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #5,482 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgprater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I did that a few days ago. I still haven't heard back: I expect they're busy filling orders and what-not. I thought I would just check the owner community, also.

Sorry, didn't mean to be 'that guy' was just meaning that they would probably know better than anyone else.

I'm amazed that they really do seem to ignore customers after the orders are placed. Before I ordered, I got replies from 3 different people within 24 hours about things...that's just amazing how long its taking some of you to get responses.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #5,483 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darwin022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got off the phone with Zac, they haven't started making mine yet, but he said they'd put them on the list to get made tomorrow and shipped around Monday. They sound very busy though, so that's a good thing for them
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you using Lossless? if not, what bitrate music files? Also, this is why I get a hearing test done when I go in for each set of impressions. No use spending the $ on the best cans you can get if your hearing isn't up to spec.

Just tested in lossless on a iPhone 3Gs: The Beatles 2009 Mono Remaster Help! Album, and some Dire Straits. A comfortable listen is a 10/16.

When i say conmfortable, it means i can hear all the instruments about clearly + voice + no ambient sounds getting in.

Anything less i feel i lose resolution and detail.

WAIT. Ive just remembered somthing. European models are volume limited because of stupid European law to protect our ears. Must be that !!

Can another European owner confirm this ?

Cheers
Xavier

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #5,484 of 10,743
Quote:

It seems either:

1) im deaf as a a bat
4) my music sucks

Cheers
Xavier

i think your hearing, iphone, jh13s and music are most likely fine.

i play apple lossless files through my jh13s with the volume knob just underneath the skip next control on my 3gs (i counted the volume rocker increments on the 3gs - by my count there are 16 increments, so that translates to 13 out of 16 for me). this is walking-around-outside volume that blocks out all traffic noise and urban noise.

with my previous iems (se530s), i used to play the same files with the volume knob at one volume increment up (or to the right) of the play control on my 3gs (9 out of 16 which got me to basically the same isolation point as described above = traffic/city noise blocked out).

hope that helps.

and sgprater, I will be monitoring the effects of the midwestern winter on my jh13s - so I'll make sure to report once we start to dip into the teens with or without windchill here in the next month or so.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #5,485 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by cujobob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, didn't mean to be 'that guy' was just meaning that they would probably know better than anyone else.

I'm amazed that they really do seem to ignore customers after the orders are placed. Before I ordered, I got replies from 3 different people within 24 hours about things...that's just amazing how long its taking some of you to get responses.

I haven't ordered yet; I'm still just a potential customer.

I'm giving JHAudio the benefit of the doubt. They've had a large quantity (relatively speaking) of very good press recently, and as I understand it, it's a small operation. I imagine it's all they can do to keep up with orders, let alone answer all the queries as they flood in. I'm in no big rush. So far, everything I've read indicates that their intent is to do right by the customer; some delays and confusions are to be expected when you're a small business with a newly popular product.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #5,486 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by aleitry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and sgprater, I will be monitoring the effects of the midwestern winter on my jh13s - so I'll make sure to report once we start to dip into the teens with or without windchill here in the next month or so.

Thanks, I'll keep a lookout for your impressions. As an aside, I keep the volume control on my iPod classic at the same level as you do for listening while walking on busy streets: slightly over 50%. Also listening with se530s.

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #5,487 of 10,743
Quote:

Unfortunately, i dont think theres a magic unique solution for this. It must depend on everyone's morphology.

I made my impressions with mouth only slightly opened, certainly not wide open. And they turned out close to perfect.

And i mean perfect not only because they fit well initially, but also because i can open my mouth any way i want without them moving: i can yawn or clench my teeth, the JH dont move. However, smiling makes them move a bit, they do come back into place pretty quickly though.

There seems to be an issue with the right fit having slightly less isolation, but in my experience (12 days and counting with the JH13), it doesnt affect the sound.

Cheers
Xavier

I think you mentioned this when I brought up my fit issue, but it seems like we have the exact same fit experience with the right IEM: less isolation but no sound quality effect.

Did you ever think of sending them in to get the canal widened on the right IEM? I sent Jerry an email about it today but haven't gotten a response. Along with the lowered isolation, I just feel kinda, well, lopsided with my left ear plugged and my right ear "free".

Out of curiosity, do you feel like your left IEM is pushing against the walls of your ear canal but no matter how you shift the right IEM, you don't feel it against your ear canal?

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #5,488 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarmel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just curious, have you got any sort of status update on yours, like "It's in the lab"?

I found that I would get email updates after I called them for something. Like, my impressions arrived on a Friday but I didn't get an email update to that effect until I called JHAudio on Monday to ensure that the impressions arrived. I also didn't get a "They're in the lab" status update email until I emailed JHAudio asking when I could expect them to be shipped. And I didn't get a shipment confirmation email until JHAudio called me to ask for another CC as the one I gave them denied the charge.

I personally don't mind as I felt that I could call or email them at any time to get an update but yeah, it seems email updates lag a bit.

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #5,489 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgprater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't ordered yet; I'm still just a potential customer.

I'm giving JHAudio the benefit of the doubt. They've had a large quantity (relatively speaking) of very good press recently, and as I understand it, it's a small operation. I imagine it's all they can do to keep up with orders, let alone answer all the queries as they flood in.

Zac's words were "We're swamped" and he also said that orders were taking longer because of that. It took 2 calls to get someone on the phone and Adam picked up. When he did answer, it sounded like there was a lot going on in the background (small mechanical noises) so my guess is, they're just really busy making IEM's.

To note, Ultimate Ears quoted 10-14 days back 2 years ago and they struggled to meet that.

If you're having a hard time contacting them, I'd recommend trying calling or twitter, they seem to respond well to both
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #5,490 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If my 3rd Gen iTouch is anything similar to your iPhone, then either you listen to your music very loudly or I listen at a very low-level. The volume control has 16 steps on my iTouch and I listen at about 4/16 while you listen at about 13/16.

I just tried 8/16 on my iTouch and the volume is deafening.
ph34r.gif

Anyone care to chime in on what volume they listen at on their iPhone or iTouch?

I'm at about 40-45% tops on my iPod classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back