JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Sep 25, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #4,592 of 10,743
They sound much the same but the is a bit more clarity with the Shadow. The "punch" of the Shadow is incredible. It has much the same delivery in the dynamics as the Mustang but possibly due to the slight more transparency, is seems to bring in the micro dynamics more.

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #4,593 of 10,743
I've had my JH13 for about a week now, and I just sent them back for a refit.

After much practice, I was able to insert and remove the right earpiece without much difficulty, but it's clearly not as easy as in the Ultimate Ears instructional video. That UE dude doesn't have my ears. When the right earpiece is in, it's comfortable.

The left earpiece, however, just was not working for me. No matter what I tried, it was annoying to insert and very difficult to remove. In fact, I couldn't remove it more than a few times before my antitragus was bleeding from what I had to do to my ear to get it out. When it was in, it caused pain in various places, particularly the tragus area. (I'm looking at an anatomy diagram as I write this.) I kept hoping my ear would get used to it, but after a week it was clear that it was not getting any better.

I spoke with Jerry on the phone today about this, and he was very helpful. I explained the issues I was experiencing, and he asked a number of questions to more precisely diagnose the problem. He retrieved my earmolds and called me back. Apparently, I am in the small minority of the population with ears whose helix and canal move toward each other rather than apart, so insertion is going to be more problematic. Jerry seemed to understand the issues I was experiencing and said that buffing it down in the right places should address the issue with the left earpiece. (Although the right earpiece is inconvenient to insert and remove, it is not painful.)

So I sent them in today. I look forward to a solution, because in their original state they would just gather dust in a drawer.

The sonics are excellent. If Jerry can make the left earpiece equal to the right, I will be one very happy ephemere.

I like everything else about them. I like the color, the cable (black), and the very durable case.

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #4,594 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound much the same but the is a bit more clarity with the Shadow. The "punch" of the Shadow is incredible. It has much the same delivery in the dynamics as the Mustang but possibly due to the slight more transparency, is seems to bring in the micro dynamics more.

Thanks jamato.

You just made my day!

Couldn't have hoped for more.

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #4,595 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jamato8,

if you had to choose one and only one amp to use, with your 13's
would it be the Shadow, or the Mustang?

Which do you find has more punch?

The WA6.
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #4,596 of 10,743
Yes, the WA 6 is excellent and dead quiet with the 13's. I tried very hard but it won't fit in my pocket! Also the tubes got uncomfortably warm. :^)

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #4,597 of 10,743
Hi Jamato8,

When using the best source you have, is there a significant difference between the shadow vs wa6? and how so?

I'm looking to get a home setup with a good source, but still pondering about amplification... How would you rate the shadow to other home amps you have used?

I'm looking to get the shadow as a portable + home amp, mainly to save some $$ .

Thanks
HPZ

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #4,598 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the WA 6 is excellent and dead quiet with the 13's. I tried very hard but it won't fit in my pocket! Also the tubes got uncomfortably warm. :^)

What tubes are you using? I currently have stock rectifier (my Sophia Princess failed and still can't decide to get a EML 5U4G mesh or another SP) and a pair of 6FD7, I have some tube noises. I will try 6EW7 or 6DE7 tonight.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #4,602 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What tubes are you using? I currently have stock rectifier (my Sophia Princess failed and still can't decide to get a EML 5U4G mesh or another SP) and a pair of 6FD7, I have some tube noises. I will try 6EW7 or 6DE7 tonight.

It is in the power supply. If the power supply isn't right Nothing else will be and if not right you can get hum.

I use some older RCA 6DE7's and the Sophia Princess that has been going for quite some time now.

The Woo 6 is powerful and dynamic a very open. Even though you shouldn't and don't need a great deal of voltage swing with the 13's I can hear the extra headroom of the 6 when comparing it to everything else. There is a freedom to the sound that flows like the water of the Mississippi.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #4,604 of 10,743
It can be related to the sensitivity of the phone. I can use excellent speakers on one of my amps and no hum. Put my highly modified and excellent Klipsch speakers and I can hear everything and the hum is distracting. Power supply and the better it is the better any of the speakers will sound. It could be the rectifier, as it is part of the power supply, hard to say, but it could also be the first cap right off of the rectifier. Got to get after that ripple and grounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back