JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jul 31, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #2,671 of 10,743
They seem to sound great out of most anything. They sound very, very good out of my modified iriver H140 and it just gets better but I am amazed at one, how easy they are to drive and how with a so-so amp they still sound good and how they just get better and better. I just did an upgrade to the OEM Black Gate amp and the sound just jumped a notch or two. These IEM's tell you everything that is going on.

Jul 31, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #2,675 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregeas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone out there sold their HD800s when the J13s arrived? Based on what I've read, I could see this happenig.

Also, can anyone recommend a high-quality portable amp that improves on the Pico? Battery powered is ideal. I used to have a Lisa III, but it was too powerful for IEMs. I'm picturing a portable rig that would include the Pico DAC only, the J13s, an amp, and my laptop with 100GBs of lossless music... Then again, the Pico DAC/amp might be all I need with the J13s.

I compared the Pico with DAC to my P-51 Mustang and the upcoming Pico Slim demo unit at CanJam, and I prefer both a little over the Pico w/DAC for their extra bit of warmth and richness in tone. The new Shadow coming out soon sounds like a P-51, so that is another option. Only 2 of those 3 recommendations are available now, the others by end of summer.

The RSA Predator is also very good with JH13Pro and ES3X but the soundstage is just a little more forward and a little smaller than Pico, but I like the tone a little better. But, to pair with the Pico DAC-only I use my P-51 and ALO Amphora, until the new slim amps I mentioned come out (but the Amphora has a little hiss with ES3X, less with JH13Pro, while the others are silent).

Jul 31, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #2,676 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by doping panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I'm considering getting a JH13. If I get it though, I'll have to cancel my HF2 order. Also, I wouldn't be able to afford a nice dac or amp immediately for them. If I get the HF2, I'll still have the money to buy something like a Pico DAC and a nice single ended amp like the M^3 + Sigma11, PPAv2 + STEPs, or Millett Hybrid. However, I need isolation since my apartment is really noisy so if I get the HF2 I'll probably end up getting one of those new Shure headphones as well. Even if I get the HF2 and the Shures though, I think I'll end up getting the JH13 eventually. So, the question is do I get the JH13 right now or do I get it later?

Maybe you get the HF-2, flip them for a profit, and then get the JH13pro? I didn't say to do that, just what maybe you were thinking you should do...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, to meet or beat the JH13Pro sound in a full size headphone you will have to spend $1400 or more, not including the amp and source (HD800, Stax O2 Mk1, HE Audio Jade, Senn HE60 or HE90, Sony R10)...

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #2,678 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously, to meet or beat the JH13Pro sound in a full size headphone you will have to spend $1400 or more, not including the amp and source (HD800, Stax O2 Mk1, HE Audio Jade, Senn HE60 or HE90, Sony R10)...

Pigs aren't flying yet. Why is this happening?
beerchug.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #2,679 of 10,743
Quote:

Maybe you get the HF-2, flip them for a profit, and then get the JH13pro? I didn't say to do that, just what maybe you were thinking you should do...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Every time I log on this forum I have the hope to find a new thread with your 3 top tier customs review...

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #2,680 of 10,743
Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm not going to lie, I've already had that exact thought.
wink.gif

Really wish I could swing these without having to resort to such devices. In all the time I've been on head-fi, I don't think I've ever seen a product release that has generated such positive reviews.

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #2,682 of 10,743
Bad news guys my clear cable is starting to build some oxidation on it (mainly near where it touches the skin going above my ear) in the form of that teal color that we all know of. I already contacted Jerry and I am going to buy the longer black cable when it becomes available in 2 weeks.

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #2,683 of 10,743
Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm not going to say it didn't cross my mind.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thank you guys for your impressions. I'm leaning JH13s. Now, I just have to wait next week for my financial aid to finally come in. I only have the money to buy the JH13s since I had to sell every piece of equipment I had to pay rent which is supposed to be covered by my financial aid. I'm not really sure if it's really a bad thing or not at this point since I would probably never have sold my Lambda rig or my PPAv2 without extreme circumstances, but because I did sold them I will soon have the money to buy a JH13.
beerchug.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #2,684 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bad news guys my clear cable is starting to build some oxidation on it (mainly near where it touches the skin going above my ear) in the form of that teal color that we all know of. I already contacted Jerry and I am going to buy the longer black cable when it becomes available in 2 weeks.

How did the oxidation occur? The connection wasn't flush enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back