JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jul 21, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #2,221 of 10,743
The person I went to started asking me questions while my molds were setting up in my ears. I thought what a jerk. She knew I needed open mouth impressions and these were the second set she had to do as the first ones didn't go to the helix. I sat there and just looked at her. No bite block but I held my mouth still.

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #2,222 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The person I went to started asking me questions while my molds were setting up in my ears. I thought what a jerk. She knew I needed open mouth impressions and these were the second set she had to do as the first ones didn't go to the helix. I sat there and just looked at her. No bite block but I held my mouth still.

haha, it's so funny!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #2,224 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had a similar experience. The audiologist used a bite block but Brittany confirmed the impression on the left wasn't deep enough. So she dropped by my house to do it again, she squirted the goo in and we were chatting away. She all of a sudden remembered the bite block and shoved it in my mouth nearly pushing me off my stool. I got her to do it again for good measure......

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #2,225 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't hear my wife when I'm wearing them.

No, wait...

haha, just wait till you get the smack on your head...women are vicious...

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #2,226 of 10,743
Iron_Dreamer, I can't believe you're selling your L3000s! The JH13s must really be something to part with them.

I bit the bullet and ordered the JH13s too. I'm almost hoping they aren't as good as everyone says they are, I love my L3000s too much. On the other hand, it would definitely be nice to finally size down and simplify.

Jul 21, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #2,228 of 10,743
I did closed mouth for my UM56 and the seal was lost whenever I did something that involved opening my mouth, so I went bite block this time. well actually the audiologist didnt havea bite block. so I bit on my knuckles
wink.gif
we did 2 sets and chose the best one, so my hand was pretty saw by the end of it

Jul 21, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #2,229 of 10,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John, when were you last in touch with Xin? what's going on with the reference these days (is it 'finalized', and is it available)?

As of the most recent, nothing seems to be happening. No contact now and I have some private phone numbers but no response but Xin is alive.

Jul 21, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #2,230 of 10,743
wow you mean nobody has 'offed him' yet
tongue.gif
amazing. i'm sure they are great amps (the new versions), but I dont get the man. very strange indeed.

Jul 21, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #2,231 of 10,743
My JH13Pros arrived about 15 minutes ago.

I've been using my IE8 with ACS custom tubes for the last few days.

Comfort = 10/10 I can break the seal on both ears if I lower my jaw way way down, but that is way beyond any normal talking or eating position.

Treble = 9/10 It seems as close to sibilance you can get without creating it. It is good to hear this much sparkle as you get older. I was just getting used to the IE8s too much but thought I was just getting older. These tingle with excitement.

Mids 9/10 Forward and relaxed (?). A totally natural presentation.

Base 8/10 at the moment. Extended super low. Can even control Timberland tracks (Apologize - Shock Value). I have been getting used to a prominent but woolly presentation through IEMs but it s a pleasure to have such clear presentation.

Soundstage About double the width of the IE8 but with a pinpoint accuracy that I'm still coming to terms with. Orchestral work has amazing location precision. I can see these knocking my statement about the HD800 in this genre.

Fit and finish - 10/10 and 7/10 This doesn't upset me. How the sound to me is more important to me than how they look.

Efficiency 7/10 I like the hiss reduction compared to some headphones, but the IE8s never revealed the interference I can now hear from the iPhone. I have to crank up higher for the JH13 but do not run out of steam as the isolation is great.

Overall. I can see many of my full sized headphones being left on the shelf. Initial change from IE8 made me feel that there was something familiar that had now gone. After 30 minutes of familiarisation I have to say that the IE8 now seems lacking (but good value). The JH13Pros are truly inviting me to new experiences within the music. This is true all the way from Orfeo to Oakenfold. If Carlsburg made headphones . . . .

I shall take pictures later today. Let me enjoy them for a few hours first.

Summary - Great product that offers discrete audiophile pleasure. I wish the 3.5mm plug was iPhone 1st gen compatible, but hey, I'll get the 3GS soon I'm sure.

I shall give the Ultrasone demo disc a full run through for analytical impressions then get on to my test tracks in an hour or two.

Well done Jerry and the crew. Great product that will change the world of high end audio!

Sceptre

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #2,235 of 10,743
guy from hearing aid shop sugested I chew a gum or suck on candy to get a good impressions.
they do look fine. we had to repeat right ear though.
he said my canals are quite narrow, that 3-way armatures may not fit it.
I just hope there are not much armatures in earcanal part of the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back