JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Sep 19, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #10,366 of 10,743
Try some more sources. They are very chameleon like. They don't create soundstage, they reproduce what is actually there. I consider it one of their strong attributes. I bit extra low bass can sound less tight but it's as much about synergy as anything else. They don't have that midbass bump that many like. I'm not disagreeing with you because it's always personal. Just my take.:smile:  

You may well be right about sources. I use Spotify and so need Wifi capability. I have only heard Apple sources so maybe I should not comment.

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #10,367 of 10,743
The JH13 is a jack of all trades, master of few. It isn't as expansive and enveloping as the UERM; its more technical sounding, not as bright and with more raw mids. Its not as euphoric as the UERM; I would say its more neutral. The best was I can describe the JH13 is an insanely improved combination of the UM3X and ER4, with a bigger, more 3-dimensional soundstage. It has solid subbass but if you want a "full" sound like your ES5, the JH13 don't provide.

Honestly if "analytical" is a coin, the UERM and JH13 are two different sides of it. IME the UERM is the more musical of the two, with more midbass and less subbass, and more treble emphasis overall. The JH13 is more analytical, with more soundstage depth relative to width, more distinct instrument separation, and an overall flatter tone. The JH13 has more thump to it, but is also more boring in a sense. A parallel comparison would be the SM3 to the UM3X; obviously those are warm, smooth phones while UERM and JH13 are more neutral, with the UERM bordering on bright, and are noticeably more capablr IEMs from a technical perspective, but the differences between the two pairs in terms of presentarion are similar. The SM3 and UERM are more smooth and holistic sounding, their soundstages being more blended and holographic, and the UM3X and JH13 being more raw sounding and having more distinct image separation.
I'm awful close to ordering a new pair of JH13, but have a question that hopefully someone who owns a pair can answer.

Are they genre limited? One of the reasons I love my pair of UERM's is that they feel at home with most any type of music. From classical to folk and back through ambient, the UERM is nothing if not versatile. My ES5 on the other hand is  more genre limited. Fantastic with rock, folk and pop they are too colored (for me at least) for classical and don't throw out the vast space for ambient. So, where does the JH13 stand? One size fits all or more catered to a specific musical direction? 

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #10,369 of 10,743
  My JH13pro (before freqphase) is paired with Toxic Cable's Silver Widow.

The JH13 sounded great with its stock cables, no doubt about it.
But to me, the Silver Widow took the JH13pro to a whole new level. Everything is exponentially improved.
The fluidity, the mids, the dynamics, the soundstage, the bass (and sub-bass), all of it magnified.

Even though i have the JH Roxanne, and it is top of the crop (in my books), it does not take away the amazing combo of JH13 + Silver Widow.
Both sound different and have different characteristics (with some similarities) but both stand on equal footing in terms of their delivery.

I believe the new JH13pro FP will benefit from custom cables. 

I have that exact cable. Still sounds like a basshead IEM. 

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #10,370 of 10,743
Who did you reshell with? As I understand that FreqPhase has something to do with tube length and driver placement etc, could it be that the resheller messed everything up?

In Ear Central/Custom. 

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #10,371 of 10,743
I do notice that if I don't jam them super deep into my canals, the bass is a little bit more normal and not as overbearing. 

With regards to Silver cables, I don't think they are for me. If anyone is looking for a superb quality Toxic Silver Widow, head over to the cable classifieds to check out my ad. 

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #10,372 of 10,743
Anyone placed any orders recently for the past 2 weeks?
I'm curious whether anyone received any status updates.. They have not updated me on anything or even if my impressions are suitable or not.

First page -
Date : 09/26/2014

Second page - 
Date : 09/26/2014

Date : 10/01/2014

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #10,373 of 10,743
JHA ask for impressions that extend beyond the second bend of the ear canal. My 13's had an imbalance which my audiologist reckons is due to the fact that the technician cut the tips before the second bend. Do other people's bores extend beyond the second bend? Seems odd that JHA ask for it but then chop it off.

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #10,375 of 10,743
Thanks for the reply. I tried moving them around but it seemed to make no difference.
The new shortened earpiece is worse if anything. I can't help feeling that if the manufacturer doesn't hit it right first time, it is a world of pain to sort it.

Oct 25, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #10,376 of 10,743
The only reason they ask for 2nd bend impressions is that they have a template with enough options to make earpieces that stay put in your ear. For many, that will only require the 1st bend. There will be slight differences in sig depending on depth but no different than from ear to ear with common depth. In fact, different depths from side to side will likely not be noticed either. Your 2 ears will already be that different. I'm assuming that you've already checked to make sure the bores are clean and fully open. When I said move them, I meant tipping them to redirect the bores, obviously, while maintaining the seal. If they're comfy, seal and stay put, it's not the mold but the bore position or some other issue.

Oct 25, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #10,377 of 10,743
Makes sense regarding 2nd bend. Yup. Thoroughly cleaned bores. I guess it's back to JHA for a refit. Do you think it is reasonable to ask them to redo both sides so that the same tech is producing a matched pair?

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #10,379 of 10,743
JHA ask for impressions that extend beyond the second bend of the ear canal. My 13's had an imbalance which my audiologist reckons is due to the fact that the technician cut the tips before the second bend. Do other people's bores extend beyond the second bend? Seems odd that JHA ask for it but then chop it off.

I'd only have them do the one that isn't right. Why mess with a good thing?

You might want to still send both though, in case it's a driver issue that needs to be tested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back