JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jan 21, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #9,871 of 10,743
  There is a huge difference between freqphase and non freq phase ?

Very. Non freq had a lot of treble peaks while the freq fixed it and made it more balanced.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #9,874 of 10,743
I have had pretty good results with the Sony PHA-2. I know that others think it's a bit of a brick, but when paired with the JH13's I do not feel it overwhelms the music in terms of bass. It has a good battery (much longer than the iPhone which I use as the DAP), seems to be built with quality, etc.

I however can not compare it to other amps, as it is the only one that I use. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #9,877 of 10,743
Has there been some consensus on what are some of the best portable amps for the JH13 Pro? I've asked this question multiple times on this thread but no one has really said anything much helpful so far. Since the JH13 Pro is low impedance and high sensitivity, I figure it doesn't need a lot of oomph from portable amps that are designed to push hard-to-drive planar magnetic headphones, but rather a headphone amp optimized for efficient IEM's with high quality--not quantity--amplification.

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #9,878 of 10,743
  Has there been some consensus on what are some of the best portable amps for the JH13 Pro? I've asked this question multiple times on this thread but no one has really said anything much helpful so far. Since the JH13 Pro is low impedance and high sensitivity, I figure it doesn't need a lot of oomph from portable amps that are designed to push hard-to-drive planar magnetic headphones, but rather a headphone amp optimized for efficient IEM's with high quality--not quantity--amplification.

I like listening to the JH13s on:

HM-901
AK120
NW-ZX1

Currently my favorite DAP is the ZX1. Sony has outdone themselves on that one.

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #9,879 of 10,743

My favorite portable amp to use with my IEMs, atm, is the Leckerton UHA 760 (w/ ADA4627BRZ opamps).  The Leck took a few weeks to 'open up,' so to speak.. but I find it to be highly detailed, tonally neutral, and quiet transparent.  It's got a (rotary) digital volume pot w/ three gain settings (-12dB, 0dB, +6dB.. I think) so it's suitable for use with a variety of DACs (and the 760 has its own internal DAC which is quite useful).  As you noted, IEMs typically don't much in terms of current to drive them.. like you, I look for quality amplification more than gobs of current/voltage if I plan to us an amp primarily with IEMs.  The 760 was just what I was looking for.  I haven't chased or owned many portable amps as of late b/c the 760 (and the 6S MKII before it) have always been so impressive (to my ears) that my eyes/ears haven't really wandered.

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #9,880 of 10,743

Would you say the ZX1 is better than the rest you have listed?

SQ wise I'd give it to the 901

Interface wise and IEM-wise I'd give it to the ZX1.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #9,881 of 10,743
Personally, the freqphase made the jh13 much clearer and more sub bassy than mid bassy. Also, the sound sig is much more refined and I feel more engaged with the more captivating soundstage.

+1
Sounds great with the DX100.....wonder how they will sound with the DX90 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #9,882 of 10,743
I'm thinking about getting the JH13pro freqphase as my first CIEM (why not go for the best, right?).

I am torn between waiting for the next blackfriday deal or getting a second hand pair and reshelling it.

What do you guys recommend?

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #9,883 of 10,743
JH Audio historically has had 1-2 other sale events prior to the next BF deal.  If you want the latest and greatest (Freqphase), you're better off buying one new and direct.  Problem with second hand pair is that JH Audio doesn't offer reshells to anyone other the original purchaser, and if you do go the second hand route, there's absolutely zero guarantee that it'll be tuned to the same specs of the Freqphase. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #9,884 of 10,743
I had my impressions taken yesterday by Beth Orliss. Highly recommended if you are in the NYC area. Of the four or five times I have had impressions taken she was by far the best. Gulliver was the icing on the cake. Thanks Beth.

I sent the impressions in today so JH Audio should receive them Friday. So now the wait begins. I know that they say 20 business days, does anyone know what the current lead time is? I assume they may still be backed up by the Black Friday sales. Very much looking forward to the 13's. Has anyone tried them balanced?

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #9,885 of 10,743
I have had the JH13 for 3 days now. These are my first customs, so I am still getting used to them. 

On my right ear, I have this feeling of discomfort in the canal area and anti-tragus (as mentioned on the Jhaudio website). I can still listen to the JH13 for an hour before I cannot tolerate the discomfort. Whereas the left earpiece 'disappears' in a few minutes, I know there is something 'obtrusive' in my right ear. 

On the FAQ page, Jhaudio mention to keep at it for a couple of weeks, and if there is still pain and irritation, to send them back for a refit. My question is this, does anyone have experience of discomfort/mild pain initially, which disappears in a week or two? Or should I have them sent back right away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back