JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
May 16, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #10,652 of 10,743
  Hi guys! I'm going to get a pair of JH13s and wanted to ask which DAP should I pair with them. My budget is around 400 USD (I can also get to higher figures is that is crucial in term of sound quality). I’ve done some reading and found that the Fiio X5 and the DX90 are very well though off in this price range. Both have a decent UI and build quality and the X5 is stronger on the battery side. But putting all of this aside – which will pair best with the JH13s?

Initially, I was thinking about getting JH16s, and although I’ve read a lot of good reviews about the DX90, I got the impression of it having a rather dominant mid-bass (like the JH16). Therefore, I felt maybe the Fiio X5 will be a better fit so that the bass won’t become over-powering. Nonetheless, all the rest of what DX90 has to offer, I generally prefer it over the X5 (especially that it is great with details and more accurate). However, now that I’ve got the JH13 on sight, the pairing with DX90 sounds more natural, since I don’t mind bass, I just want it balanced with the rest of the spectrum. I’d be very happy to hear what do you think of this and which DAP do you guys recommend. If there is a third\fourth option(s) I should consider – I am in now way fixed on getting either of these two DAPs.

Thanks a lot!

You can try the Sony NWZ-A17. Sounds quite good with the JH13.

May 17, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #10,655 of 10,743
Could you explain why by comparing to the X5? Thanks.

starfly, how does the Sony NWZ-A17 compare to the DX90?

What about the DAPs beyond this price range, any good reason to consider AK120/240 etc.?

Haven't heard the DX90 or the X5 for that matter. I can only compare it to the ipod classic which I used to have and all I can say is that it sounds a lot more musical. Otherwise I lack the vocabulary to describe the differences. But I'd definitely consider it, especially given that you get excellent battery life with the Sony (IMHO one of the most important aspects of a DAP).

May 20, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #10,657 of 10,743
If the JH13 are so good and not even near expensive compared to inferior headphones (HD800 with its thin and dry sound, totally different from the realistic tonality of this IEM), then why most people keep buying HD800's only to be disappointed with them? It's popularity or what?

I mean, the JH13 sounds good on any decent DAP (iPhones for example), and the few who heard it compares it with other TOTL high-end headphones like the SR-007 mk1, not including HD800 here. Clearly they are that good! and then just a few talks about them, meanwhile the HD800 thread has at least 100 post daily.

You only see praising and praising for this IEM from their few owners, saying that they love them even out from an iPhone, and other people are complaining about the HD800 dryness and they try to fix that with mega-buck amps to even be satisfied. I just lol'd at that.

Can someone figure this out?, it's been a long time since i want to find a logic for that. Thanks :wink:

May 20, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #10,658 of 10,743
Could you explain why by comparing to the X5? Thanks.

starfly, how does the Sony NWZ-A17 compare to the DX90?

What about the DAPs beyond this price range, any good reason to consider AK120/240 etc.?

Depends if you are willing to spend that much on a DAP. In all honesty, the diminishing returns on DAPs are even greater than IEMs.
I had iPod Nano 7g, Colorfly C3, FiiO X3, AK100, AK100MK2, AK240 and the end settled down with A15 and ZX2. Signature preference plays a big part on what you like. If you ask me, the AK240's price is not worth it when other DAPs that cost 2x cheaper produces SQ which is almost or on par. You are mainly paying a ransom to AK for the branding "status".

If the JH13 are so good and not even near expensive compared to inferior headphones (HD800 with its thin and dry sound, totally different from the realistic tonality of this IEM), then why most people keep buying HD800's only to be disappointed with them? It's popularity or what?

I mean, the JH13 sounds good on any decent DAP (iPhones for example), and the few who heard it compares it with other TOTL high-end headphones like the SR-007 mk1, not including HD800 here. Clearly they are that good! and then just a few talks about them, meanwhile the HD800 thread has at least 100 post daily.

You only see praising and praising for this IEM from their few owners, saying that they love them even out from an iPhone, and other people are complaining about the HD800 dryness and they try to fix that with mega-buck amps to even be satisfied. I just lol'd at that.

Can someone figure this out?, it's been a long time since i want to find a logic for that. Thanks :wink:

Because JH13 now is considered an "old" model while HD800 is still Sennheiser's flagship after all these while.
Dont be mistaken, I still consider JH13 a TOTL custom which can compete with higher priced models, but it's typical head-fi attitude to jump on the hype train on newer more expensive products.

May 20, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #10,659 of 10,743
Because JH13 now is considered an "old" model while HD800 is still Sennheiser's flagship after all these while.
Dont be mistaken, I still consider JH13 a TOTL custom which can compete with higher priced models, but it's typical head-fi attitude to jump on the hype train on newer more expensive products.

THe JH13 is ancient. It's been out for many years now and in the iem game the amount of years the JH13 has been out makes it ancient. There are many different ciem models that are in the same price range and it seems like one comes out every other week. For full sized headphones it is a complete different story. There are many models out there but not even close to the amount of models that compete with the JH13 in price. 

May 21, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #10,660 of 10,743
I own the JH13 non-FP and I can definitely say it's a great compliment to the LCD-X. Despite of how old it is, I'm floored with how relevant it still is and I would still consider it a TOTL sound through and through. And it's an unfair comparison with the HD800 because I would personally put them in two different divisions, portability(JH13) vs in-home, headphone. 

I have heard the Angie as well, which I would consider a JH13 update, but it gives a different sound compared to the JH13 with a tilt to more neutrality. I find the JH13 very lively-sounding that playing upbeat sounds makes you want to move to it. Instrument separation, bass resolution, forward vocals, it's hard to get enough of it. Angie on the other hand executes music so effortlessly and it sounds so natural to the ear. Reminds me of my experience with the Abyss WA22 setup where everything just sounded so clean.

My 2c, while the JH13 can be said as old now, I really think it can still compete with the new models through how well it executes sound. The Angie will probably be my next purchase but I won't even think about selling my JH13 at all. Honestly, it's that good. I have no idea how the FP version sounds because even with the nonFP it sounds perfect to me.

May 21, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #10,661 of 10,743
As much as I love my JH13FP's, I'm going to have to let them go =(.

Jjacq is quite right about it being a compliment to the LCD-X, especially if it's paired with a suitable source and amplifier.

If your interested in purchasing my JH13FP, the link is in my signature =3.

May 21, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #10,662 of 10,743

Jjacq is quite right about it being a compliment to the LCD-X, especially if it's paired with a suitable source and amplifier.

Nooo don't tempt me :|!! What will you be replacing it with, if you are?

May 21, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #10,663 of 10,743
A friend of mine who resides in Bend, Oregon, is sending me his HE-560's as a gift =D, so I thought, might as well downsize, since I prefer having a minimal setup =3.

But by god do they sound good, they truly are TOTL IEM's.

Hifi01170 just reserved mine XD!

May 21, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #10,664 of 10,743

I sold my JH13 just a week ago as well. As much as I'd like to keep them I find myself sticking to 1 IEM most of the time, so it's quite a waste to keep it when I have other monetary needs.

May 21, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #10,665 of 10,743

Isn't it mostly due to accessibility and how well known something is?

I mean, I can get a HD800 in an audio store nearby, but for a JH13 I'd have to travel 200 km. And of course many people know the Sennheiser brand because you can find them in a lot of electronics stores. And headphones are much easier to try in a store. Also you don't have to get ear impressions, wait for 6-8 weeks to get them and then you might still be dissapointed because you weren't able to hear them before. The threshold for headphones in general is just a lot lower than for CIEMs.

The inferiority of the HD800 would be highly subjective, though. The description you're giving them as compared to the JH13 (thin, dry), would make me think the JH13 has a somewhat boosted bass, which is definitely NOT a plus point in my book. In fact, it would make me think that I would prefer the HD800 over the JH13 (based on sound signature).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back