JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jun 14, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #376 of 10,747
I wish there was an universal version of the JH-13 in commerce. I'd get it in a blink. Is there a way to convince Jerry to make it?
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #377 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish there was an universal version of the JH-13 in commerce. I'd get it in a blink. Is there a way to convince Jerry to make it?
biggrin.gif

I'm with you on that one. All we need are thousands more and we'll have a convincing argument.

Jun 14, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #378 of 10,747
Im not too sure that the estimated price difference of $500+ justifies the sq difference between:
1. Imod > LOD > Pico Slim > JH|13

and

2. Ipod classic > JH|13

what do you guys think?

Jun 14, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #379 of 10,747
lI wouldn't hold your breath for a universal version of the JH13 pro.

So, as I said, yesterday I spent some time talking with Jerry at his shop and listening to the demo version of the JH13pro. Jerry was also kind enough to answer some questions I had about customs and also offer up some general technical information about how his IEMs work.

One interesting point he mentioned was that these armatures are faster than the ones used in the ue11. It's next generation stuff, they react quicker to the signal (we are talking micro seconds here) but this is probably one of the reasons for the immense detail. The dual driver setup also allows for lower harmonic distortion.

Here are some thoughts and impressions on the 13. For reference my main IEM is the SE530 at the moment.

-Had to turn the volume dial up to 4 on the ibasso T4 to get similar volume as the SE530's have on 2. So it is harder to drive. Not a bad thing - the SE530s have very low resistance.

-Bass was cleaner than the Shure's. The low bass was also more prominent. I actually would not consider them to be bass heavy though. It was only the very very low registers that were more fleshed out. The kickdrum sounded right... very well controlled and accurate.

-There seemed to be a spike somewhere in the treble. Jerry explained this was a problem with the universal demo and does not exist in the custom version.

-The sound signature was what I would consider extremely accurate/flat. Outside of the tiny bit of emphasis on the really low bass, everything else seemd to be exactly where it was supposed to be in the mix. This is probably the most "reference quality" sound reproduction I've heard. Though I'll say right now I don't have massive amounts of experience with lots of different equipment.

-Another point Jerry made was that his 13 pro had treble extension surpassing that of other IEMs. He said that it actually did go all the way out to 20khz whereas most IEMs roll off somewhere between 8 - 15khz. It quite naturally had much more treble than my Shures. It didn't feel painful at all though, and I wasn't hearing any sibilance like what I got with the Westone 3.

Overrall I was impressed with the fidelity and detail. There was a certain "ease" to the sound that the SE530s don't quite have. It probably has to do with the fact that it has a 3 way crossover and spreads the work out more.

Jun 14, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #380 of 10,747
Interesting depiction Jensen I enjoyed reading your comments. I remember watching a panel discussion at canjam way back that mentioned something about Jerry doing some work with shure when they were producing their earphone line. Everyone seems to also think that they (being the 13pro's) are very flat/accurate. My impressions will arrive at their lab on Wednesday and off we go from there.

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #381 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by TXMUSCLE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im not too sure that the estimated price difference of $500+ justifies the sq difference between:

and

2. Ipod classic > JH|13

what do you guys think?

Ipod Classic, yes, the price difference is justifiable, if you are a portable-rig kinda guy. Ipod Touch 2nd gen, no, because the sound quality is the best I've heard from any portable media player and does very well on its own.

(I'm sure the new HiFi Man will slaughter it though.)

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #382 of 10,747
wait ipod 2nd gen is better then a classic using a lod or just headphone out wise? I am pretty sure the parts are the same between my 3g and the 2g touch so if I understood you right may be I should give mine a try
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #383 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ipod Classic, yes, the price difference is justifiable, if you are a portable-rig kinda guy. Ipod Touch 2nd gen, no, because the sound quality is the best I've heard from any portable media player and does very well on its own.

(I'm sure the new HiFi Man will slaughter it though.)

ah damn it. are you pursuading me towards another $500+ purchase?
jecklinsmile.gif
tongue.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #384 of 10,747
I don't know if a imod is needed but I would definitely recommend a good lod and amp the addition of a imod has smaller results and should only be considered if you are willing to go to those lengths for it

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #385 of 10,747
Well it looks like the first batch will start shipping the week of the 22nd. Great, I look forward.

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #386 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait ipod 2nd gen is better then a classic using a lod or just headphone out wise? I am pretty sure the parts are the same between my 3g and the 2g touch so if I understood you right may be I should give mine a try
smily_headphones1.gif

The 2g touch has pretty sweet hp-out, if not the best in all the iPods I've tried.

Jun 15, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #387 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it looks like the first batch will start shipping the week of the 22nd. Great, I look forward.

Well this bodes well for me potentially getting mine delivered to Vegas by July 3rd so I can avoid import duty.

My impressions arrived at JHA on Thursday and I emailed Brittany on Friday, but haven't had a response yet. Where did you get the info John?

Rob

Jun 15, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #388 of 10,747
I heard from Jerry today.

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #390 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by TXMUSCLE /img/forum/go_quote.gif

and

2. Ipod classic > JH|13

what do you guys think?

I'm listening to my 160gb Classic, ALO LOD, iQube, and UE11s as I write this and I miss my iMod so badly I can taste it (it's back with Vinnie for what's probably a logic board problem). It's a massive difference, honestly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back