JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Jul 24, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #2,387 of 10,753
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The rule very simple:

[size=x-small]"ask for forgiveness not permission"[/size]

Funny, my brother has been living his whole life by this motto. So much so, that he is now heading for divorce. He forgot the other motto, [size=x-small]"you play, you pay"[/size]

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #2,388 of 10,753
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, my brother has been living his whole life by this motto. So much so, that he is now heading for divorce. He forgot the other motto, [size=x-small]"you play, you pay"[/size]

*cough* Prenup *cough*
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #2,389 of 10,753
Quote:

Originally Posted by spleisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I was just about that amazed. But that's coming from a guy who has never had custom IEM's, and has never heard ANY headphone of that calibur, so take it for what it's worth.

I'm not trying to hype, just giving my personal reaction. I would expect that the reaction of others would vary, based on their own listening preferences, and experience as an audiophile.

You need not feel bad about your experience of amazement. I was pretty damn amazed when I first heard the demo. I am still amazed every time I listen to them. And I've heard just about every high-end headphone out there. All I can say is that it's not hype if it's true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is only one, small, teensy-weensy hole in your logic that I thought I would point out: If you think that you will not want to upgrade for five years, you are fooling yourself. Don't get me wrong, I admire your gumption, but five years in this hobby is an eternity. Good luck with your resolve and let me know where you are 5 years down the road. : )

While I agree that 5 years can be an eternity in this hobby, I also wouldn't be particularly surprised if one could go five years with their JH13. I made it about halfway to five years with my L3000, and if it's not obvious by this point, I like the JH13 even more.

Perhaps with the JH13 in hand, he could concentrate his audio desires into speakers and sources, rather than getting on the merry-go-round of headphone side-grading through different flavors. Lord knows, I wish the JH13 had been around five years ago, it would have saved me a lot of trouble!

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #2,390 of 10,753
I got my JH-13s in mail yesterday. My order and molds reached them on 6/26. Considering how slammed they are, I'm extremely impressed with the turn around time.

These things are as neutral as I've ever heard, on par with the HD800s in this regard. They extend as high and low as I can hear. They're super fast, and resolve textural detail at least as well as my K1000 + Beta22 combo. Iron Dreamer was right on when describing these as mini high end studio monitors. I will no doubt start mixing on them.

I do remember reading a post though, claiming their soundstage was out of the head large. Thus far, this has not been the case for me. I'd say it's only somewhat larger than the stage presented by the UE10s. But the 13s can portray close sounds that the rolled off highs of the UE10s can't. That ultimately leads to a much better illusion of depth within the soundstage.

I don't yet have a proper idea about how amp dependent their performance is. But I'm getting the sense that a great portable amp will take them all the way.

Time to start saving up for a Lavry Gold DAC.

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #2,391 of 10,753
What I get in soundstage is a very gentle ( or a U (a U in front of me but in the shape of the ( with the imaging outside of my head extending better side to side than just in front of me. So what I get is an in the head stage and out of head stage to the sides. I would like a ____ straight stage as with my speakers and whatever the original recording was really like. I think I will listen to some more classical as the normal shape is a gentle U in reverse and see how that sounds.

Ok on my K2 recording (one of the best there is of some Mozart, the stage is more correct. Ok, it appears that a lot of rock the way it is recorded gets you more of the ( but the classical I am now listening to is more of a ), which is correct. This is while listening to the iRiver lossles optical to the D10 to the Shadow.

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #2,392 of 10,753
Quote:

Originally Posted by nnotis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my JH-13s in mail yesterday. My order and molds reached them on 6/26. Considering how slammed they are, I'm extremely impressed with the turn around time...

Damn, they received my order and molds on 6/24, and i still dont have mine
frown.gif

Wonder what the hold up is...

Edit: I know what the hold up is! I have less than 100 posts.

tongue_smile.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #2,396 of 10,753
Quote:

I got my JH-13s in mail yesterday. My order and molds reached them on 6/26. Considering how slammed they are, I'm extremely impressed with the turn around time.

These things are as neutral as I've ever heard, on par with the HD800s in this regard. They extend as high and low as I can hear. They're super fast, and resolve textural detail at least as well as my K1000 + Beta22 combo. Iron Dreamer was right on when describing these as mini high end studio monitors. I will no doubt start mixing on them.

I do remember reading a post though, claiming their soundstage was out of the head large. Thus far, this has not been the case for me. I'd say it's only somewhat larger than the stage presented by the UE10s. But the 13s can portray close sounds that the rolled off highs of the UE10s can't. That ultimately leads to a much better illusion of depth within the soundstage.

I don't yet have a proper idea about how amp dependent their performance is. But I'm getting the sense that a great portable amp will take them all the way.

Time to start saving up for a Lavry Gold DAC.

Agree regarding the soundstage. Equal or slightly better vs. my UE11, however in terms of imaging and instrument separation no other phone I´ve ever tried come close to the JH13.

The sense of inmersion I get when using my Imod-Vcap-Lisa III rig is astounding. I am discoverying new "layers" to all my favorite albums, with a great 3D type sound presentation and a smothness prevously unknown to me.

When it is plug straight to my Ipod Classic I get a very pleasant neutral sound. However I don't like them that much with the Tomahawk where there is too much bass which affects the neutral sound of the JH13. I'll be getting either a Shadow or Pico Slim for my portable rig, wíll have to see which one sinergises better with the JH13
ksc75smile.gif

If all producers/mixers/ mastering people uses the JH13 the world would be a better place.

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #2,397 of 10,753
I had a similar experience with mine out of the box. I did not experience an out of head soundstage until I had listened for a week or so. I suspect it was a combination of my brain getting used to customs and cable/device break in. Now I do experience the soundstage that is out-of-head and it's a great thing.

Regarding fit. Mine fit great when I am sitting or walking, but when exercising I notice the right iem to occasionally just barely loose it's seal, just enough that I can hear the mold rubbing against my skin. Does this mean I need a refit, or is this common?

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #2,398 of 10,753
Neither of my monitors move or make any noise of rubbing no matter what I am doing except diving in the water.

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #2,399 of 10,753
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither of my monitors move or make any noise of rubbing no matter what I am doing except diving in the water.

YOU DOVE IN THE WATER WITH YOU 13'
eek.gif
S?!

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #2,400 of 10,753
Quote:

Oh, I should have mentioned one key fact: I didn't order any art, and got clear transparent shells. So making mine took one less step. I seriously doubt they care how many times I've posted here.

Pictures please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back