JH Audio 16 Custom to Universal - does anyone do this?
Jun 28, 2019 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AVU

500+ Head-Fier
Been off the forum for about two years, so I'm out of the game and would really appreciate those who know the scene to give me some advice.

I built what I consider a killer mid-level setup about 8 years ago. I'm sure there's better now, but I've felt no reason to upgrade. Eastern Electric tube DAC with some wonderful old german tubes, a bunch of mods to the circuit board, capacitor upgrades, etc., jitter filter from USBridge, Pico Slim iem amp, and a pair of JH13 customs, which I ended up trading in for JH16s.

Problem is, I went through literally 4 rounds of getting professional ear molds done and sending these off, to places in the US and abroad, and have NEVER gotten a really good fit. Maybe my ears are wierd, but they sound unbelievable when there's a really good seal, but there's almost never a really good seal unless I have the cord super tight around my chin or I'm literally tugging on them. It's frustrating beyond belief, and the other year, I found that I had basically just given up and was using a relatively crappy Klipsch x10's and a DragonFly USB dac because it sounded fine, I had perfect isolation, and I could take it everywhere w/phone, ipad, macbook pro for music production, etc.

I'd really like to use the JH-16s as a universal, so I could just get the isolation I want. Is there anybody doing this? If JH offers universal versions of these, how hard could it be? Has anyone done a mod themselves?

Please help - I feel awful that this great stuff is just sittng around unused. I'm basically about to head a serious amp and a regular pair of cans, but I vastly prefer the portability of IEMs.

Jun 28, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 3
You can try Mike from Perfect Seal. Not sure if still offers this service. He's also a head-fi member. Depending on the nozzle size in relation to the sound tubes, you could try to sand it down so that Comply tips or wraps can fit as well and provide a solid seal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back