JH 16 VS JH 13 HELP~~
May 22, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #61 of 136
thank you guys for your thought =]
i havent yet order the earphones yet because of school work sadly 

I'm thinking of going for the 13s because i think im just being greedy in having more drivers when my mind really wants the 13s for neutral sound. haha XD 

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #62 of 136
I was in the same situation for a long time, read tons of threads and still could not decide between 13s and 16s.

Sometimes I thought I would go for JH13s because I like transparent and neutral sound most of the time, but just can not stop worrying it lack the very last bit of bass for me. And sometimes I was leaning towards JH16 because it got a lot praise as well, in which case I could get plenty of bass without losing any details on the mid and top, however still afraid the bass will be too much for me. I love tight and punchy bass but not excessive. The more I read, the deeper I got into the mess.
It turned out to be the most difficult decision for me in recent 2 months because I could only afford one of them, spend other money on a better source is much much worthy than have both 13s and 16s IMO.

All this mess ends today! No single bit of hesitation or struggle anymore! I just ordered the JH13s and sent my ear impressions to JHA.

Here's why:
I luckily found an audiologist in my city that do the ear impressions for me and at the same time willing to provide me both 13s and 16s for audition. Sadly I was not able to bring my HP-P1 with me but just iPhone4, but that was enough for me to figure out what I want.

I played Valerie's Fever, Rebecca's Spanish Harlem, Mating Dance from Dancing Through the Walls, and some random tracks from Sara and my classical albums, these are a mix of 320k MP3's and AIFF's (sorry for my phone's capacity)...

Almost on all these tracks, the 13s sounded way better than 16s. I was shocked by the difference (I am not a typically analytical head but the difference is very noticeable to me).

The sound on 13s is much faster, clearer, more transparent, neutral with a slightly boost in the bass. The treble is very smooth, I can not hear any harsh or sibilant sound, the mids are just vivid with great imaging, so real... And most importantly, the bass is ROBUST, not lacking a bit for a great musical presentation, it's there, very full and with great texture and tightened, I am really impressed how well the 13s deal with the bass.

The 16s on the other hand, far below my expectation. The highs on 16s are par with 13th, but the mids are clearly contaminated a little by the exaggerated bass, not too much to stop me listening the music but enough to be noticeable by anyone with normal hearing. And the bass is always there no matter you need it or not, this may be due to the iPhone4's feed, but the quantity is too much to make the music unreal for me, hard for me to enjoy them. Compared to 13s, the bass on 16s seems like un-controlled and bleeding around. And the 16s also turned out to be slower and less transparent.

They are just have very different sound signature on the iPhone. However, I believe if fed by a better source and appropriate amplification, the 16s will sound way better than from my iPhone, the bass may be controlled well and mids and highs are possibly very similar or same as 13s, but the quantity of bass is just over exaggerated for me.

I have to say all my impressions are based on 1 hour demo of both IEMs plugged into my iPhone4 and limited tracks played due to it's an iPhone. However, it is enough for me to get the idea of their overall sound signatures and believe I will still prefer 13s when amped. make my choice.

So the base line from me is, if you can enjoy Dr. Dre's Beats, go for the 16s and you will love them a lot because on top of the bass you will also get top notch mids and highs quality assume you are not just using them with your iDevice. If you hate Beats and sometimes will not carry the portable dac+amp stack, 13s no brainer.

I am very happy I made the trip to my audiologist today, now it's a waiting game on my JH13's

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #63 of 136
Quote:
I was in the same situation for a long time, read tons of threads and still could not decide between 13s and 16s.

Sometimes I thought I would go for JH13s because I like transparent and neutral sound most of the time, but just can not stop worrying it lack the very last bit of bass for me. And sometimes I was leaning towards JH16 because it got a lot praise as well, in which case I could get plenty of bass without losing any details on the mid and top, however still afraid the bass will be too much for me. I love tight and punchy bass but not excessive. The more I read, the deeper I got into the mess.
It turned out to be the most difficult decision for me in recent 2 months because I could only afford one of them, spend other money on a better source is much much worthy than have both 13s and 16s IMO.

All this mess ends today! No single bit of hesitation or struggle anymore! I just ordered the JH13s and sent my ear impressions to JHA.

Here's why:
I luckily found an audiologist in my city that do the ear impressions for me and at the same time willing to provide me both 13s and 16s for audition. Sadly I was not able to bring my HP-P1 with me but just iPhone4, but that was enough for me to figure out what I want.

I played Valerie's Fever, Rebecca's Spanish Harlem, Mating Dance from Dancing Through the Walls, and some random tracks from Sara and my classical albums, these are a mix of 320k MP3's and AIFF's (sorry for my phone's capacity)...

Almost on all these tracks, the 13s sounded way better than 16s. I was shocked by the difference (I am not a typically analytical head but the difference is very noticeable to me).

The sound on 13s is much faster, clearer, more transparent, neutral with a slightly boost in the bass. The treble is very smooth, I can not hear any harsh or sibilant sound, the mids are just vivid with great imaging, so real... And most importantly, the bass is ROBUST, not lacking a bit for a great musical presentation, it's there, very full and with great texture and tightened, I am really impressed how well the 13s deal with the bass.

The 16s on the other hand, far below my expectation. The highs on 16s are par with 13th, but the mids are clearly contaminated a little by the exaggerated bass, not too much to stop me listening the music but enough to be noticeable by anyone with normal hearing. And the bass is always there no matter you need it or not, this may be due to the iPhone4's feed, but the quantity is too much to make the music unreal for me, hard for me to enjoy them. Compared to 13s, the bass on 16s seems like un-controlled and bleeding around. And the 16s also turned out to be slower and less transparent.

They are just have very different sound signature on the iPhone. However, I believe if fed by a better source and appropriate amplification, the 16s will sound way better than from my iPhone, the bass may be controlled well and mids and highs are possibly very similar or same as 13s, but the quantity of bass is just over exaggerated for me.

I have to say all my impressions are based on 1 hour demo of both IEMs plugged into my iPhone4 and limited tracks played due to it's an iPhone. However, it is enough for me to get the idea of their overall sound signatures and believe I will still prefer 13s when amped. make my choice.

So the base line from me is, if you can enjoy Dr. Dre's Beats, go for the 16s and you will love them a lot because on top of the bass you will also get top notch mids and highs quality assume you are not just using them with your iDevice. If you hate Beats and sometimes will not carry the portable dac+amp stack, 13s no brainer.

I am very happy I made the trip to my audiologist today, now it's a waiting game on my JH13's

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and experience with the headphones =]
This was what i really needed to make up my mind.
I will go the 13 ^^

THANK YOU~!

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #64 of 136
Hi,

Is this the FreqPhase version?
Thanks

Here's why:

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #65 of 136
Just in case someone comes back to this, I ended up with the JH16's and couldn't be happier.  I really don't think there is a wrong choice.  From what I've gathered in my conversations is that if you're strictly a vocalist or prefer a more neutral sound then the 13's are going to be better for you.  If you play an instrument in a band, listen or watch hi-fi audio/movies, prefer more bass or a more 'in your face' sound then the 16's are your choice.  From what I've found both playing and singing in a band and for watching movies, the 16's are great and the bass is not overwhelming.  I was a little worried that the bass would fatigue my ears; however, the clarity of the mids and highs is amazing and the low end does not overwhelm you.  I love my JH16's but I'm confident I would've been very happy with my 13's too.

Aug 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #66 of 136
Quote:
Just in case someone comes back to this, I ended up with the JH16's and couldn't be happier.  I really don't think there is a wrong choice.  From what I've gathered in my conversations is that if you're strictly a vocalist or prefer a more neutral sound then the 13's are going to be better for you.  If you play an instrument in a band, listen or watch hi-fi audio/movies, prefer more bass or a more 'in your face' sound then the 16's are your choice.  From what I've found both playing and singing in a band and for watching movies, the 16's are great and the bass is not overwhelming.  I was a little worried that the bass would fatigue my ears; however, the clarity of the mids and highs is amazing and the low end does not overwhelm you.  I love my JH16's but I'm confident I would've been very happy with my 13's too.

I almost feel like the 16's are neutral to my ears and they just have an amazing handle on low frequency. The bass is there,  but it's not in your face and booming, it's like a strong foundation to hold up the music. I'm a drummer and I have to say that the JH16's have changed how I play and practice.

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #67 of 136
I almost feel like the 16's are neutral to my ears and they just have an amazing handle on low frequency. The bass is there,  but it's not in your face and booming, it's like a strong foundation to hold up the music. I'm a drummer and I have to say that the JH16's have changed how I play and practice.

I agree 100%. When I said a more in your face sound I was not referring to the bass and I'm glad you pointed that out. I was just trying to say the whole sound image just seems 'there' and I'm never looking for anything or wishing I had more of something. I'm able to get incredible sound at lower volumes and because of the extra bass boost, I'm actually able to keep the kick and bass lower in my mix but still get the feel and balance I want. It's really like having a sub in your ear but you don't lose any clarity. I agree with you said...It has changed how I play. If I was a drummer or bass player it would be even better. Oh and the freq phase is just ridiculous!!

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #68 of 136
I've noticed myself listening at lower volumes but to get them really working I have to turn them up to what my normal level is. Female vocals tend to suffer the most from this.

I can't agree more that the sound is right there in your head. It's a very close sound stage but you can place exactly where each instrument is panned in the mix.

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #70 of 136
  I should get a pair of each one then let you know hehe

By all means please do so :) We will be forever grateful. I am looking for a CIEM  the past few days and my research lead me to JH Audio and this thread. It appears the choice between JH13 and JH16 is not easy at all.

Oct 3, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #71 of 136

If you're using them on stage, 16s are the better overall choice. I still personally prefer the 13 for my consumer use.
wink_face.gif

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #73 of 136
  Reading these threads brought me no closed to working our which one i want lol. 

All depends on whether you are bass head?
What sort of music do you listen to?

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #74 of 136
I have had both.

JH13:  If you are a treble head and love insane detail, transparency and speed.

JH16:  Fuller sound, more fun but still plenty of detail and transparency.

I preferred the 16 and I think most do.

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #75 of 136
  I have had both.

JH13:  If you are a treble head and love insane detail, transparency and speed.

JH16:  Fuller sound, more fun but still plenty of detail and transparency.

I preferred the 16 and I think most do.

Pointless comment unless you have the numbers to back it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back