JH 16 VS JH 13 HELP~~
Mar 27, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #16 of 136
Quote:
I was in the same boat as you and picket the Jh16 over the UM Miracle and JH13's ( delivery in 1 week - rush fee ) 

Although I care a lot about details and clarity but I can't tolerate a neutral flat sound. From the FR graphs I've seen, the signature of the JH13's is not my taste. 

I do understand that sound neutrality has its advantage but in my case that would only be for the benefit of professional producers and mixers.

My honest opinion if you want to enjoy music, JH16's are the one to get. That's why some $1000+ customs sound boring compared to some relatively cheaper IEMs. it's all about the sound signature. I made that mistake with the Shure SE535 which has somehow a neutral , analytical mid-centric resolution and learned the lesson. It might be excellent for some kind of music but I never really enjoyed them. I guess the same logic applies to the tube vs solid state amplifiers.

I haven't tried the Jh16's yet but I messaged a guy on youtube who reviewed both the UM Miracle and JH16's with FP ; He didn't bother explaining the difference, he just replied : [ "The new JH16's are the best customs I've ever owned until today. Hope that gives you a better picture , goodluck " ]

Sound quality is however subjective and you won't find your taste unless you try. In my case I am putting my money on the JH16's and crossing my fingers. Will post my feedback as soon as I receive it.

As a side note, no offense to anyone but the fact that the UM customs are made in China wasn't very encouraging in my case. UM customs look great and I'm very positive about the build quality as per most reviews online however, I always feel concerned about the quality control and the material used. I could be wrong but that is only based on my experience.

Regards.

I think i decided on the 16 finally
could you tell me how you ordered with the rush fee? 

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #17 of 136
Quote:

...Although I care a lot about details and clarity but I can't tolerate a neutral flat sound. ....
I do understand that sound neutrality has its advantage but in my case that would only be for the benefit of professional producers and mixers.

.... some $1000+ customs sound boring compared to some relatively cheaper IEMs. it's all about the sound signature. I made that mistake with the Shure SE535 which has somehow a neutral , analytical mid-centric resolution and learned the lesson. It might be excellent for some kind of music but I never really enjoyed them.....
Sound quality is however subjective and you won't find your taste unless you try.

Yes, really good points.  While a "colorful" sound is often seen as less accurate, so what.  If there is a certain degree of clarity and detail it is more often the preferred sound.  Great description about SE535.  I agree.

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #18 of 136
Quote:
Thank you for your input =]
could i ask you how much rush fee you paid to JHA for your jh16? XD
i live in canada and if the fee within my budget, i am considering it as well 

i paid $100 to get mine delivered within 5-10 business days

You can pay $250 to get them within 4-5 working days.

Normally, you get your customs delivered in 4- 6 weeks. I couldn't wait that long :) 

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #19 of 136
Quote:
thanks for your input =]

if you prefer neutrality over bass, but still want enough bass so that you don't get bored
which one would you go for may i ask? haha 

I find that the JH16 provide powerful bass effortlessly no matter the source. If there is bass in the track, the JH16 pull it out easily. The mid bass is fuller, making the overall mids sound richer and thicker. However, they are still very detailed and dynamic.

The JH13 have to be worked harder to get to a similar'ish level of bass, but with the right gear there is plenty of bass. The detail, speed and separation is that bit better than the JH16 and the instruments seem a bit more distinct.
I am currently listening to Massive Attack's Angel with a Dragon Fly and the bass is pounding through my skull. When I play the same track on my DX100 with mid gain - the JH16 is pounding, while the JH13 needs high gain to get that bit closer to skull crushing bass.

However, my JH16 seem to suffer from being very sizzly and easily sibilant when the JH13 aren't....but I dont think that is normal behaviour....so they've gone back to JH Audio for tweaking.

If you want one CIEM that gives you plenty of bass no matter the source while still being ultra detailed,then the JH16 is the one you want.

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #20 of 136
Quote:

i paid $100 to get mine delivered within 5-10 business days

You can pay $250 to get them within 4-5 working days.

Normally, you get your customs delivered in 4- 6 weeks. I couldn't wait that long :) 

I would have to call them for the rush order right? XD 
i can't wait 4 to 6 weeks as well haha 

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #21 of 136
Quote:
I would have to call them for the rush order right? XD 
i can't wait 4 to 6 weeks as well haha 

I have set up everything by mail. I advise you contacting Corbyn ( her e-mail can be found on their website ) She's a nice person and everything was smooth.

I ended up paying $1419 ( $1149 + $75 custom artwork + $50 platinum faceplate + $100 rush fee + $45 shipping ) 

Let us not talk about the tax, I don't wanna think about it.

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #22 of 136
Quote:

I have set up everything by mail. I advise you contacting Corbyn ( her e-mail can be found on their website ) She's a nice person and everything was smooth.

I ended up paying $1419 ( $1149 + $75 custom artwork + $50 platinum faceplate + $100 rush fee + $45 shipping ) 

Let us not talk about the tax, I don't wanna think about it.

Thank you~ you've been a great help =] 

i think ive decided to get jh16... but still not 100 percent sure 
man.. it's hard to decide without having to actually hear it

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #23 of 136
Quote:

I find that the JH16 provide powerful bass effortlessly no matter the source. If there is bass in the track, the JH16 pull it out easily. The mid bass is fuller, making the overall mids sound richer and thicker. However, they are still very detailed and dynamic.

The JH13 have to be worked harder to get to a similar'ish level of bass, but with the right gear there is plenty of bass. The detail, speed and separation is that bit better than the JH16 and the instruments seem a bit more distinct.
I am currently listening to Massive Attack's Angel with a Dragon Fly and the bass is pounding through my skull. When I play the same track on my DX100 with mid gain - the JH16 is pounding, while the JH13 needs high gain to get that bit closer to skull crushing bass.

However, my JH16 seem to suffer from being very sizzly and easily sibilant when the JH13 aren't....but I dont think that is normal behaviour....so they've gone back to JH Audio for tweaking.

If you want one CIEM that gives you plenty of bass no matter the source while still being ultra detailed,then the JH16 is the one you want.

would the bass on jh16 be too much for someone who listens to ballad, pop, classical music (quiet, soothing songs) but still frequently listens to hip-hop/rock?
lol i feel like im being too greedy XD 

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #24 of 136
Quote:
would the bass on jh16 be too much for someone who listens to ballad, pop, classical music (quiet, soothing songs) but still frequently listens to hip-hop/rock?

I had the same concerns. In my honest opinion, I'd rather use an equalizer to reduce the bass than increase it : ) 

I listen to Jazz, Dubstep/Chillstep and Blues almost 90% of the time and I'm almost sure the JH16's won't sound bloated. If you open the equalizer on iTunes and check the presets, Jazz, Electronics and classical have almost the same boost below 64 HZ. I'm not giving the perfect example maybe but I don't know who said that the classical music should sound flat with little bass.

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #25 of 136
Quote:

I listen to everything from Opera to Rock and Metal to Dance music and the JH16 works nicely with all of them. The only place were the bass maybe a bit overpowering is classical\opera.
As you are so uncertain, I think the JH16 would be the better option for you as it works well with pretty much everything and is easy to get the deep bass you want from any source.
The JH16's bass does not overpower everything like some headphones. The bass is there and more prominent than the JH13, but still has plenty of detail.

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #26 of 136
Quote:

I had the same concerns. In my honest opinion, I'd rather use an equalizer to reduce the bass than increase it : ) 

I listen to Jazz, Dubstep/Chillstep and Blues almost 90% of the time and I'm almost sure the JH16's won't sound bloated. If you open the equalizer on iTunes and check the presets, Jazz, Electronics and classical have almost the same boost below 64 HZ. I'm not giving the perfect example maybe but I don't know who said that the classical music should sound flat with little bass.

yea my thoughts are the same 
having more bass in the first place to decrease it would be better than having to increase it when there are less drivers to support it.
gosh this is frustrating XD 

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #27 of 136
Are you picking an Artwork for your IEMs ?   I spent some time on photoshop, found some cool customs design and made myself a chromic / metal inserted logo like shown in the  pictures below. They said it's feasible so I went for the blue ones .. what do you think 

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #28 of 136
Quote:
Are you picking an Artwork for your IEMs ?   I spent some time on photoshop, found some cool customs design and made myself a chromic / metal inserted logo like shown in the  pictures below. They said it's feasible so I went for the blue ones .. what do you think 

yupp im currently trying to decide what kind of artwork i should put in XD 

the blue one looks great =D 
artwork is going to take time for me... XD cant decide on this too loool 

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #29 of 136
I got sucked into this big time.  Started out with the JH 16's, then I started looking at ALO amps, then just took the total leap of faith for the JH-3A plus the rush charge should have mine 4/4, cant wait.

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #30 of 136
i still don't understand rush fees. It looks like everyone is paying for it ? it's like raising all your CPU processes priority to high which basically means no priority. If 80% of people are going for rush fees that means whoever isn't should wait for 4 months instead of 6 weeks ? Unless guys at JH Audio have too much free time and need a push to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back