JDSLabs C421 Preorder is live...
Nov 27, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #31 of 692
So I got my amp early this morning and I do must that after listening for a hour or so I can say that I am very happy with my purchase. When I compared the sound of the JDS C421 to that of the  JDS BB Altoids amp the difference (to my hears) is more than apparent. I do must say that I am more than impressed. Just like the Altoids the bass boast switch adds a very warm bass and at the same time it does not take away from the clarity. The set up I used was Sana fuze, LOD Cable and westone 4's. This Little amp Is just a big upgrade and it really bring my IEM's to life. I still say that the amp needs a little more burning in time but over all I enjoy this amp. This amp is very well built and small (which I personally like) as you can see. All in all I am happy with my new amp.

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #32 of 692
All preorders will ship this week. Case manufacturing has been a huge mess (lost time and money for both companies!). So, we're moving production to a high precision shop, which will increase our enclosure cost by 300%. Full details will be posted soon.

Thanks to all for the early comments!

Quote:
Has anybody else received their amp from jds labs? Has anybody tried them with westone 4's?

Nov 27, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #34 of 692

Quote:
All preorders will ship this week. Case manufacturing has been a huge mess (lost time and money for both companies!). So, we're moving production to a high precision shop, which will increase our enclosure cost by 300%. Full details will be posted soon.

Thanks to all for the early comments!

Nooo!  Does that mean the amp will cost more now?!  Can I still get the amp with the original enclosures?

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #35 of 692
My C421 arrived yesterday. It has about 15 hours use on it so far (and still running in as we speak). Very very impressed with it so far running from iPod 5.5G through LOD.
More to follow soon, but it's the best portable amp i've heard. I have a Teclast T51 en route too, should make a good partnership.

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #36 of 692
My tracking info so far :frowning2:.

Date Time Location Status
November 23, 2011 4:57 pm MARYVILLE, IL 62062 Shipment Accepted
November 23, 2011     Electronic Shipping Info Received

Don't know if it just isn't updating or if it actually  has been stucking in Illinois for the past week for no reason... Maybe customs? 
frown.gif
  My other orders with USPS usually tell me when they're in the process of clearing customs, though.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #39 of 692
And just like that, the amp arrives today.

Just plugged and started burning in, not listening yet, but John is correct - definitely some visible scratches on the enclosure - looking forward to the final batch.

Also, there is an audible hiss at the highest volumes with my iPod 5.5g --> Fiio L9 --> C421 --> DT1350.  Don't have my higher quality LOD to test if it's the cable, though.

The amp itself is quite striking, feels very solid in the hands and all the switches are very crisp (is that the right word - crisp?). Also, the amp is a lot smaller than I thought it would be, even with the published pictures.  Matches very nicely with the iPod.

I'd take pictures, but all I have is a terrible camera phone.  leshka's pictures above will do it more justice.

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #40 of 692
w00t!

Thanks for the impressions so far guys!!
Mine is in transit too!
Can't wait!

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #41 of 692
Also, there is an audible hiss at the highest volumes with my iPod 5.5g --> Fiio L9 --> C421 --> DT1350.  Don't have my higher quality LOD to test if it's the cable, though.

Is it set to High gain? I have a small amount of hiss on High and absolutely none on Low.

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #42 of 692
OK, 3 sources - Bifrost DAC, iPod 5.5g, Sansa Clip+.

2 seperate LOD cables for the iPod, and 2 mini --> mini interconnects for both the iPod and the clip+.

On hand are my 3 portables - DT1350s, M50s and PFE112s.

When I have music playing, then pause, there is a hiss (and an odd clock-like ticking on my ipod, which is weird, but very faint).  When I STOP the music (or connect with the source turned off), there is no hiss on low, and a very faint one on high, like you mentioned Mozu.  This happened with all 3 sources, and all 4 cables.

That said, there is so much power in this thing, the levels at which I am getting the hiss are far above any reasonable listening level.  When i just pause the music at my normal, or even my "rockin' out", there is no audible hiss on low or high gain.

I plugged in my most insensitive cans - DT990 600s and there was no hiss at all - pause or stopped music - on low, and a very faint one on high.

I've only listened to a few minutes of music while playing around with the hissing, but initial impressions are very good.  Will do a comparison to my other portable amps later.

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #43 of 692
Just curious... so the pre-order page says that it wont ship until Feb? Or is that outdated and that it can ship out earlier? Just not sure since people are already receiving theirs?

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #44 of 692

Quote:
Just curious... so the pre-order page says that it wont ship until Feb? Or is that outdated and that it can ship out earlier? Just not sure since people are already receiving theirs?

You can  request early shipment in a 2nd batch temporary enclosure. When the final cases are ready, they can ship you the new case for the cost of shipping. The following is on the pre-order page. 

*Current Status: You may request immediate shipment of c421 in a temporary enclosure (add a note during checkout). We're moving enclosure production to a higher quality manufacturer, which will take 8 weeks. Final enclosures will be available in February 2012 for free, plus shipping. Please check our blog for the latest updates. Thank you!

I have the amp in the 2nd batch case and it's not in too bad of shape.

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #45 of 692
Ohhh. Gotcha! Good deal. I wonder if I order now, I can get mine by Dec 24th. I'm going on vacation out of the country, and really want an amp for the 16 hour flight! :D

Quote:
Quote:

You can  request early shipment in a 2nd batch temporary enclosure. When the final cases are ready, they can ship you the new case for the cost of shipping. The following is on the pre-order page. 

*Current Status: You may request immediate shipment of c421 in a temporary enclosure (add a note during checkout). We're moving enclosure production to a higher quality manufacturer, which will take 8 weeks. Final enclosures will be available in February 2012 for free, plus shipping. Please check our blog for the latest updates. Thank you!

I have the amp in the 2nd batch case and it's not in too bad of shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back