JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 10, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #526 of 3,417
I think for an average listener 4-8 hours of battery is more than enough however larger capacity batteries means longer life due to requiring less charge. I am sure if we search ebay we should find the right one with the right connectors. I have seen that battery used on number of devices. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #528 of 3,417
Quote:
I think for an average listener 4-8 hours of battery is more than enough however larger capacity batteries means longer life due to requiring less charge. I am sure if we search ebay we should find the right one with the right connectors. I have seen that battery used on number of devices. 

Who here is an average listener!?!?  hahaha.  I think 10 hours is reasonable for a device this small.  The more the better, but I can deal with 10.  That means I would probably never use it all up in one day and could just charge it at night.  I've definitely listened to music for more than 4 hours a day before though.

Mar 10, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #529 of 3,417
I'm getting the C5 but I can't pair it with the ODAC because I need optical and coax inputs. Do you guys think this amp will mate well with one of the Audio-dg DACs? If it's doable, which Audio-dg DAC would you recommend? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mar 10, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #530 of 3,417
I'm really interested in the C5, and I like the idea of supporting a customer-oriented company based in the U.S. (there, I said it).  Still, I'm interested in seeing impressions of how it fares against the generally accepted "big boys" like offerings from RSA, ALO & TTVJ.  Heck, even a comparison against something like the Arrow 4G (sound quality only..I get the difference in form factor) is something to which I look forward.  After my nothing-but-crappy service experiences over the past 3 years w/ Headstage, and aloofness from the aforementioned "big boys", if the sound quality is in the same ballpark, I'm ready to jump ship & join y'all.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #531 of 3,417
Got my order in today. Will go well with my JDS ODAC.

Does anyone know how it acts when fully charged, plugged in, and playing? Will it still power itself through the battery, constantly charging? I may use this at work and don't want to destroy the battery life by doing so.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #532 of 3,417

Does anyone know how it acts when fully charged, plugged in, and playing? Will it still power itself through the battery, constantly charging? I may use this at work and don't want to destroy the battery life by doing so.

I was wondering this too. When it finished charging the led went out and turned green. At that point is it using battery again or running off USB?

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #533 of 3,417
Quote:

I do believe it still charges when you're actively using it, but don't quote me on that. You can quote this reply from Mr. Seaber though :p :
Quote:
Yes, you can listen to C5 while charging. Unless you have severe ground loop issues, there will be no audible noise while using USB power. The dual LDO’s do a fine job filtering out power supply fluctuations. I’ve spent hours listening from USB power and it works great.

Quote:
Quote:
Here's my Black C5...

Cool! that will match nicely with the ODAC if you happen to have one.

Quote:
Hm that's nearly 2 hours more than mine. Ah well, I don't mind. Thanks for doing the test though!

Your welcome, though it's because of you that I've been digging about the C5 battery a little more. 
angry_face.gif
tongue_smile.gif
beerchug.gif

Apparently the battery in the C5 is made by a company called Cameron Sino and it's actually an ipod 4th gen 
compatible replacement battery(model no. CS-IPOD4HL...doh!).There's actually some benchmark done(here) when this guy was upgrading his battery(link) of his Gigabeat F player.It's not widely available it seems but you can still find one in amazon or a pricier one at BraunOni's battery upgrade.com.I also found a compatible one at ebay, so no worries at finding a replacement if you ever needed one.Cameron Sino actually makes good compatible batteries from the reviews I've read(here and here).

But,but,but that's not the reason why I'm posting, although good info to have! I've actually done something special for you miceblue! and it's very doable!

Ok here it comes! Battery improvement mod!
Let the pics take over then!

the original C5 batt and the adhesive used is easily removable.

yes! that's an S3 2100mah battery temporarily connected with just a sticky tape(batt side)/connector pins(C5 side) and mounted with a small foam double-sided tape on the board.(See LED it's green!)

Very easily slides back in to the C5 case!

Enjoying my temporary mod with my old DAP the cowon D2 after all that work.

So there you go miceblue...longer battery life if you ever feel that the current one is still lacking!

Note:To make the mod permanent you have to solder or glue(not recommended) wires to the S3 battery and use a similar connector or small female pins(removable and shrinkwrap to prevent shortages) to connect to the C5,and  you can search on ebay for cheaper compatible s3 battery options.

Holy moly. You sir are the master of mods! I am speechless, hahahaha.
Really, that's an amazing finding. Personally I don't mind the ~11-hour battery life, but I will definitely consider the S3 battery swap if I ever need a longer battery. :xf_eek:

Kudos to you~

Quote:
I'm really interested in the C5, and I like the idea of supporting a customer-oriented company based in the U.S. (there, I said it).  Still, I'm interested in seeing impressions of how it fares against the generally accepted "big boys" like offerings from RSA, ALO & TTVJ.  Heck, even a comparison against something like the Arrow 4G (sound quality only..I get the difference in form factor) is something to which I look forward.  After my nothing-but-crappy service experiences over the past 3 years w/ Headstage, and aloofness from the aforementioned "big boys", if the sound quality is in the same ballpark, I'm ready to jump ship & join y'all.

I can't compare the C5's sound quality to other "big boys", but from just a customer service standpoint, John and JDS Labs in general have provided me with the best customer service I have ever had. Even when I sent an inquiry at 1 AM on the west coast of the USA, John replied back to my e-mail a few minutes later. Even if I didn't e-mail them at a weird time of day, they still replied back to my inquiries in a timely manner (less than half a day later).

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #534 of 3,417
Quote:
Received my C5
smily_headphones1.gif
I unscrewed the case and flipped it around so that the LDS logo will be visible from the bottom
biggrin.gif
. I also used some blue painter's tape before putting on the Velcro as this setup will be temporary until I get some 3M low profile clear dual lock. I'll post impressions after I get some time with it.

I did not even realize the slots in the case were set-up to allow you to flip it. Thanks for mentioning that.  I did the same now and put my 3M low profile dual lock on the blank side.  

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #535 of 3,417
Quote:
I do believe it still charges when you're actively using it, but don't quote me on that. You can quote this reply from Mr. Seaber though

The question is not if it charges while being used, but if it uses USB power directly when at 100% charge, versus going through the battery first. Putting a constant load like that on the battery could significantly reduce its life.

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #536 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:
I do believe it still charges when you're actively using it, but don't quote me on that. You can quote this reply from Mr. Seaber though

The question is not if it charges while being used, but if it uses USB power directly when at 100% charge, versus going through the battery first. Putting a constant load like that on the battery could significantly reduce its life.

Oh I see what you're saying. I don't know very much about rechargeable batteries unfortunately. :/

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #537 of 3,417
Quote:

The power management IC operates in supplement mode when connected to USB. As long as the USB voltage remains above the battery voltage (your +5V USB supply should always exceed the Li-Ion battery voltage), then power is directly supplied to C5 by USB and the battery is out of the equation. Current is only drained from the battery if the USB bus for some reason cannot supply adequate voltage/current. For example, maybe an overzealous device on the same USB hub consumes maximum bus current, starving C5 of available power.

Yep, it's a popular battery. Watch out buying Li-Ions from eBay. We've seen several sellers slap 1200-1400mAh stickers on ordinary 800-900mAh iPod 4G batteries. We buy directly from Cameron Sino, although the variations in run-time here prompt further capacity testing.

the original C5 batt and the adhesive used is easily removable.

Fun fact: Cameron Sino put stickers on the wrong side on this shipment. The battery model # is supposed to be easily visible:

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #538 of 3,417
Quote:
The power management IC operates in supplement mode when connected to USB. As long as the USB voltage remains above the battery voltage (your +5V USB supply should always exceed the Li-Ion battery voltage), then power is directly supplied to C5 by USB and the battery is out of the equation.

That's a very interesting bit of info, thanks. I hadn't really thought about this detail. Does the 02 work in the same way? or is this an advantage for the C5?

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #539 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:

The power management IC operates in supplement mode when connected to USB. As long as the USB voltage remains above the battery voltage (your +5V USB supply should always exceed the Li-Ion battery voltage), then power is directly supplied to C5 by USB and the battery is out of the equation. Current is only drained from the battery if the USB bus for some reason cannot supply adequate voltage/current. For example, maybe an overzealous device on the same USB hub consumes maximum bus current, starving C5 of available power.

Interesting to note. So if the C5 is the only device connected to my computer via USB, and I'm actively using it, does the battery not charge then since the USB port is supplying the needed power to the operation of the C5?

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #540 of 3,417
Quote:

That's a very interesting bit of info, thanks. I hadn't really thought about this detail. Does the 02 work in the same way? or is this an advantage for the C5?

O2 is powered by a 14VAC transformer, not USB. Totally different circuit. Its batteries are also undisturbed while connected to AC power. But O2 has no charge regulation or indication; it will charge indefinitely at a snail's pace.

C5 charges quickly and knows to stop charging when the battery is full.

Interesting to note. So if the C5 is the only device connected to my computer via USB, and I'm actively using it, does the battery not charge then since the USB port is supplying the needed power to the operation of the C5?

The USB port can supply up to 500mA. Current is allocated to the amp and the battery as needed. C5 shouldn't draw more than 200mA, so the amp will charge more slowly while in use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back