JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #511 of 3,417
Quote:
Not to sound contradictory, but I have to say that I don't hear any "upfront mids" as others hear.  I hear a very neutral presentation all around.  Perhaps switching from an amp that has less "neutral" mids makes the c5 sound more mid present?  Just a thought.  I've compared it to a bunch of devices and hi-fi amps and it sounds just a neutral to me personally with a bunch of headphones I've tried...

It's not a huge difference, it's very subtle, and I definitely don't consider it a mid-centric amplifier. It might be due to the C5's more closed-in-sounding soundstage, but overall it's still pretty neutral compared to the O2.

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #512 of 3,417
It's not a huge difference, it's very subtle, and I definitely don't consider it a mid-centric amplifier. It might be due to the C5's more closed-in-sounding soundstage, but overall it's still pretty neutral compared to the O2.

I can see that I suppose...

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #513 of 3,417

I can see that I suppose...

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #515 of 3,417
Quote:
Ok, have just finish my battery test.

Test config:

S3->UD-100->C5->M-100 with volume set between 6 to 11 steps with low gain and no bass boost.

Result:

how are you guys getting direct screen images like this?

Never mind, I found it with a 5 second google search. haha.  wow.  i didn't realize you could do that.  so awesome.

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #517 of 3,417
I'll post mine once I get it, hopefully it is sometimes this week. Guys if you can please post the best synergy/pairing you guys have achieved with C5, thanks. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #518 of 3,417
Quote:
I'll post mine once I get it, hopefully it is sometimes this week. Guys if you can please post the best synergy/pairing you guys have achieved with C5, thanks. 

In terms of synergy, strictly speaking, I don't think the C5 is the best choice for the M-100 nor the [new] K 701, but if I had to choose one of the two, the C5 has better synergy with the M-100.

But synergy isn't the reason why I bought the C5, so I'm perfectly fine with that. I was looking for a portable reference amp, and I'm pretty sure the C5 is that considering the little colouration it has next to the O2 to me.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #520 of 3,417
Here's my Black C5...

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #524 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:
That looks pretty nice. It reminds me of the Headstage Arrow amp with the all-black enclosure.

arrow is much thinner. 

Yes yes I know that. The Arrow is probably the thinnest headphone amplifier I've seen. I was just talking about the all-black colour scheme.

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #525 of 3,417
Quote:
Here's my Black C5...

Cool! that will match nicely with the ODAC if you happen to have one.

Quote:
Hm that's nearly 2 hours more than mine. Ah well, I don't mind. Thanks for doing the test though!

Your welcome, though it's because of you that I've been digging about the C5 battery a little more. 
angry_face.gif
tongue_smile.gif
beerchug.gif

Apparently the battery in the C5 is made by a company called Cameron Sino and it's actually an ipod 4th gen 
compatible replacement battery(model no. CS-IPOD4HL...doh!).There's actually some benchmark done(here) when this guy was upgrading his battery(link) of his Gigabeat F player.It's not widely available it seems but you can still find one in amazon or a pricier one at BraunOni's battery upgrade.com.I also found a compatible one at ebay, so no worries at finding a replacement if you ever needed one.Cameron Sino actually makes good compatible batteries from the reviews I've read(here and here).

But,but,but that's not the reason why I'm posting, although good info to have! I've actually done something special for you miceblue! and it's very doable!

Ok here it comes! Battery improvement mod!
Let the pics take over then!

the original C5 batt and the adhesive used is easily removable.

yes! that's an S3 2100mah battery temporarily connected with just a sticky tape(batt side)/connector pins(C5 side) and mounted with a small foam double-sided tape on the board.(See LED it's green!)

Very easily slides back in to the C5 case!

Enjoying my temporary mod with my old DAP the cowon D2 after all that work.

So there you go miceblue...longer battery life if you ever feel that the current one is still lacking!

Note:To make the mod permanent you have to solder or glue(not recommended) wires to the S3 battery and use a similar connector or small female pins(removable and shrinkwrap to prevent shortages) to connect to the C5,and  you can search on ebay for cheaper compatible s3 battery options.

Warning Update :This mod won't charge the S3 or any other battery that is not using the CSIPOD4HL battery Circuitry cause the the C5 can not detect the temperature properly.
Solution: Remove the S3 battrey circuit and solder the CSIPOD4HL battery circuit onto the S3 battery(Do this at your own risk)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back