JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 27, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #347 of 3,417
Mine shipped yesterday to, I'll be getting an engineering sample to review, specs are the same as proper product units. Will then update first post with full review

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #348 of 3,417
I did a quick listening test with the C5 vs O2 again, my statements from yesterday still stand with the soundstage. The O2 seems more spacious and puts more air between instruments, but the C5's more "closed-in" soundstage actually makes the mids sound a little more up-front/focused to me. I used the same setup as yesterday but with the K 701 instead of the M-100.

Test track 1:
Vanessa-Mae - Emerald Tiger
The grand orchestra(?) sounding part part at around 3:10 sounds a little more natural with the airier O2, but the more upfront violin sounds rather pleasant with the C5 too (same with the part at around 2:30).

Test track 2:
Opus Two, Charles Bernard, Marin Mazzie - Sonata for Clarinet and Piano (arr. William Terwilliger) - I - Grazioso - Un poco piu mosso
Similar findings for the violin part at around 0:46. The C5 sounds a little more engaging with the slightly forward mids, but the airiness of the O2 gives the sense of a more natural-sounding stage.

Test track 3 (just for the bass boost toggle):
Lindsey Stirling - Electric Daisy violin
YEAH, this bass boost is pretty sweet! It's as if someone was listening to the song and then "theater-mode" bass rumble turns on. I can't wait to try the bass boost feature while gaming with the K 701.

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #350 of 3,417
Drachen, what was your previous setup before getting the C5?
Quote:
...I've been noticing a lot of parts to my music that I hadn't been hearing before...

It's all your fault, you jinx'd it!  j/k haha 
tongue.gif

I'm definitely disappointed that I'll need to wait even longer for it......
Quote:
Well now I feel like a total *****. :frowning2:  Sorry thor.

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #351 of 3,417
who is gonna be the first to compare this with the E12? 
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #352 of 3,417
Quote:
Drachen, what was your previous setup before getting the C5?

It's all your fault, you jinx'd it!  j/k haha 
tongue.gif

I'm definitely disappointed that I'll need to wait even longer for it......

Wouldn't be the first time.  Sometimes I get blamed just for walking in the room! :)

My previous setup was a Cowon G3 or my Epic 4G (wolfson) driving my se425's directly.  Aside from my home stereo (an older Technics) I have had no previous amp (I are an amp newb.) I want to throw a pair of portapros and ksc-75's on it also, but my sister and friend have absconded with them for now.

I was in the market for a FiiO E11, (it was in the shopping cart and "Checked out") then I caught the pre-order of the C5.  I decided to triple my budget because I was on the fence with buying an O2, but wanted something smaller and voila!  Also, the arduino part was calling my inner nerd, and I was hesitant on the E11 due to reviews on IEM's at low volume.  I was also looking at the e17, but was not sold on a digital volume control, as they usualy have too large of steps for my liking (it was nice to read that was one of the primary considerations with the C5.)  Oh, and it didn't hurt to get a reply from the engineer within an hour on my questions. :)

I just ordered a Clip+ (newegg has as screaming deal on refurb 8 gigs right now 25$) to try as a source also.

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #353 of 3,417
It was a really nice surprice to see a paperslip laying just inside the door when I got home from work today saying I had a package from JDSLabs to pick up. Since it was shipped the 23:rd I wasn't expecting it for atleast a few more days. USPS estimated 1-4 weeks delivery time, I got it in less than 5 days including the weekend.
An even better surprise was when I got home after picking it up and heard how good my Etymotic ER-4s sound when amplified using the C5.
It's obvious that I should have bought an amplifier years ago. 

I can't really write a review, there are guys far more qualified out there for that. This is more of a "Haha, I got mine!" rub it in your face kind of post. (Whey!! I got mine!!)
What I can say though is that it looks amazing (went for the red one) and the build quality is very good down to every singel little detail.
When the bas boost is activated the boom you get from the tiny ER-4s is almost as big as from the Ultrasone Pro900's. Almost a little to much to be honest.
I do appreciate that they've milled around the headphone socket so you can fit plugs with a wideer base.

Now if anyone has any suggestions on how to attach the C5 to the back of my phone feel free to pm me.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #354 of 3,417
I see some people use silicone bands like those donation bracelets.  I use 2 velcro strips to attach my CMoyBB to the back of my Cowon Z2 so I can detach/reattach easily.  It does increase the overall thickness about 1/8" though.  Or you can just use rubber bands.....

Quote:
Now if anyone has any suggestions on how to attach the C5 to the back of my phone feel free to pm me.

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #356 of 3,417
Quote:
It was a really nice surprice to see a paperslip laying just inside the door when I got home from work today saying I had a package from JDSLabs to pick up. Since it was shipped the 23:rd I wasn't expecting it for atleast a few more days. USPS estimated 1-4 weeks delivery time, I got it in less than 5 days including the weekend.
An even better surprise was when I got home after picking it up and heard how good my Etymotic ER-4s sound when amplified using the C5.
It's obvious that I should have bought an amplifier years ago. 

I can't really write a review, there are guys far more qualified out there for that. This is more of a "Haha, I got mine!" rub it in your face kind of post. (Whey!! I got mine!!)
What I can say though is that it looks amazing (went for the red one) and the build quality is very good down to every singel little detail.
When the bas boost is activated the boom you get from the tiny ER-4s is almost as big as from the Ultrasone Pro900's. Almost a little to much to be honest.
I do appreciate that they've milled around the headphone socket so you can fit plugs with a wideer base.

3M Dual Lock ftw.

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #357 of 3,417
Quote:
3M Dual Lock ftw.

I use this too, had my C421 attached to my iPod like that, hardly any extra thickness, and super strong hold without it moving like with rubber bands.

Will be using Dual lock with the C5 too

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #359 of 3,417
Got mine today from my wife for my 40th Bday.  This is my first amp so I have nothing to compare it to.  To me it sounds great and the bass boost is a little addictive.  I think I may be a closet bass head as it turns out.  My wife even noticed that her Etymotics sounded way better out of the C5 versus straight out of my iPod Classic 5th gen.  And my wife will rarely admit one of my toys actually sounds better.  

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #360 of 3,417
I am curious to hear them paired with my Grado PS500. Need to go for a trip to vancouver and test it in person if its available. however I have few questions:when you guys turn the bass boost on will it affect the mids or highs somehow or its totally transparent? and did anyone try them with these or other grados? whats your opinion on the bass impact? I really like the PS500 sound BUT wished it had more bass out of my iPad and its kinda bugging me when I play techno or anything electronic. thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back