JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 26, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #318 of 3,417
Some photos with my C5 after finally getting home.  This little thing is a beast.  I picked up a 10cm FiiO cable with the C5 using my Epic4G (Wolfson w/ voodoo) for a source.  The stack fits in my shirt pocket great, tomorrow around work I am trying pants front.  I don't have another amp to compare to, but so far it has brought out the depth of strings, voices and highs, then with the bass boost, my SE425's makes me think I have a whole new pair of IEMs.  Next up is a friends pair of SRH840's.

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #319 of 3,417
Well then, my multimeter doesn't have small enough AC voltage increments for portable headphone amplifiers, so I tried to volume match the best I can with a 1 kHz sine wave generated from Audacity.

Setup:
MacBook Pro Retina Display (source) -> Audirvana Plus media player (hog mode and integer mode on) -> JDS Labs ODAC -> -> JDS Labs C5 and JDS Labs Objective 2 (using a V-MODA SharePlay cable as a cable splitter with another interconnect cable)
I switched the headphone cable between the headphone-out ports of the O2 and C5 for A/B testing, switching times were less than 1 second using a V-MODA Crossfade M-100 as my headphone of choice (it's my go-to headphone for portable use).

To me the O2 and C5 sound very close to each other, but the O2 still sounds a bit more spacious and instruments seem more dynamic with more air between them.

Test tracks:
Daft Punk - Robot Rock
Ottmar Liebert - Snakecharmer
Massive Attack - Teardrop
I Ching - Beauty is Everywhere (24/96)
Beth Orton - Magpie

Not to say the C5 sounds bad, I think it sounds fantastic and is a really great amplifier for portable use, sensitive headphones, and for low-volume listeners (such as myself). Given the choice between the C5 and the O2 for a portable headphone amplifier, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the C5. I also LOVE the bass boost for the AKG K 701. Don't forget about the re-programmable digital potentiometer too. :)

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #320 of 3,417
Quote:
Initial comparisons between the C5 and the O2, to me at least, the O2 has a larger soundstage with better instrument separation, the C5 has more bass (though I admit it is hard for me to properly volume match).

I think that you should give the C5 some hours of "burning in" before you do a serious comparing.
To compare a brand new C5 amp to your O2 (that I guess have "a few hours" more of use) is in my opinion unfair.

I'll guess that around 200 hours with the C5, it will "open it up" a bit.

I have now placed an order for a C5 (silver), and hopefully I will recieve it sooooon!
I can't wait.. I am looking forward to get to know this little amp. :)

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #321 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:
Initial comparisons between the C5 and the O2, to me at least, the O2 has a larger soundstage with better instrument separation, the C5 has more bass (though I admit it is hard for me to properly volume match).

I think that you should give the C5 some hours of "burning in" before you do a serious comparing.
To compare a brand new C5 amp to your O2 (that I guess have "a few hours" more of use) is in my opinion unfair.

I have now placed an order for a C5 (silver), and hopefully I will recieve it sooooon!

I personally don't believe in burn-in for solid state amplifiers, but I will give it some run-time. Time to go to bed and run some pink noise with it. :D

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #322 of 3,417
Quote:

To me the O2 and C5 sound very close to each other, but the O2 still sounds a bit more spacious and instruments seem more dynamic with more air between them.

Not to say the C5 sounds bad, I think it sounds fantastic and is a really great amplifier for portable use, sensitive headphones, and for low-volume listeners (such as myself). 

This what I needed to hear, thank you, the wait is killing me more....

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #323 of 3,417

I can't tell if he's being sarcastic with that first part.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #324 of 3,417
Hehe.. I see your point, but no.. I was not sarcastic. :D

I have with every purchase I have done.. do not recall my first cassette player ++ though.. so let's just include hi-fi and high-end stuff I have purchased the last 10 years or so.

Amplifiers (solid state, hybride (ss with tubes), CD players, DAC, speakers, headphones, cables (interconnects, speaker cables, headphone cables) they have all changed for the better over time before they "settle". But of course some of them have benifited from the "burning in" more than others.

Actually the only thing I can't say that I have noticed changing is power cables. I can hear differences between some of them, but I have not noticed the benefit of "burning in".

But that's just my experience. And it could just be that I am a bit loco.. actually I am.. :)

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #325 of 3,417
With my SE425 IEM's: I've turned up the C5 in both gain modes w/ and w/o bassboost on and the thing is SILENT.  Which is nice.  I have also tried the same test while charging, and have been listening while charging.  No noise from the charging circuit that I can tell at all.  The USB cable does have a ferrite core on it, which may or may not change anything.

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #326 of 3,417
Where are all the impressions and reviews?!

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #327 of 3,417
Quote:

I posted mine in a few posts up:
Quote:
Well then, my multimeter doesn't have small enough AC voltage increments for portable headphone amplifiers, so I tried to volume match the best I can with a 1 kHz sine wave generated from Audacity.

Setup:
MacBook Pro Retina Display (source) -> Audirvana Plus media player (hog mode and integer mode on) -> JDS Labs ODAC -> -> JDS Labs C5 and JDS Labs Objective 2 (using a V-MODA SharePlay cable as a cable splitter with another interconnect cable)
I switched the headphone cable between the headphone-out ports of the O2 and C5 for A/B testing, switching times were less than 1 second using a V-MODA Crossfade M-100 as my headphone of choice (it's my go-to headphone for portable use).

Test tracks:
Daft Punk - Robot Rock
Ottmar Liebert - Snakecharmer
Massive Attack - Teardrop
I Ching - Beauty is Everywhere (24/96)
Beth Orton - Magpie

Not to say the C5 sounds bad, I think it sounds fantastic and is a really great amplifier for portable use, sensitive headphones, and for low-volume listeners (such as myself). Given the choice between the C5 and the O2 for a portable headphone amplifier, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the C5. I also LOVE the bass boost for the AKG K 701. Don't forget about the re-programmable digital potentiometer too. :)

I'll be at school all day so I won't be able to do much listening for the time being. I ordered a FiiO E3 so I'll see how things sound with an iPhone as well.

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #328 of 3,417
Quote:

I am going to make an attempt to some sort of review tonight.  I don't have another amp to compare to (aside from my Technics receiver) so take it with a grain of salt.
Thus far, listening with my Shure SE425's I have found a preference of louder gain while keeping the volume down and bassBoost off.  I tried my friends Sony mdr-7506's and those sound great with the boost on!  Lots of fun.  So far I've been loving the increased clarity, especially on the high end.  I've been noticing a lot of parts to my music that I hadn't been hearing before.  I'll put together a more in-depth review later tonight.  When I upgraded my phone to voodoo sound I thought, It cant get much better than this, my IEM's sound awesome!  I'll say that again now, its my first amp and I was very surprised how much depth was added by an amp.  :D

thor777, anything you want me to try? specifically?

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #329 of 3,417
I saw yours and one other guy posted as well.  Only 2 tho!  Bunch of people must have received theirs since JDS started shipping them....I ordered mine yesterday but I guess I'm just too excited and can't wait for more impressions!

Quote:

I'll be at school all day so I won't be able to do much listening for the time being. I ordered a FiiO E3 so I'll see how things sound with an iPhone as well.

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #330 of 3,417
Quote:
I saw yours and one other guy posted as well.  Only 2 tho!  Bunch of people must have received theirs since JDS started shipping them....I ordered mine yesterday but I guess I'm just too excited and can't wait for more impressions!

Quote:

Well they did just start shipping on Friday, so people will probably be getting them this week. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back