JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 17, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #3,031 of 3,417

Don't want to derail the thread but what is your experience with these, I mean HD25 but with 600 friggin Ohm - whoooohooo. How do they compare to the standard HD25-1 that I own with 70 Ohms?

Cheers,
K

They sound similar but 

Don't want to derail the thread but what is your experience with these, I mean HD25 but with 600 friggin Ohm - whoooohooo. How do they compare to the standard HD25-1 that I own with 70 Ohms?

Cheers,
K

I remember is sounded similar to the standard hd25's but with zero treble peeks and with more sub but less mid bass. Overall smoother and more refined.  I never owned all three at the same time so take my opinion with a grain of salt. 

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #3,032 of 3,417
Feb 26, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #3,033 of 3,417
Hi Everyone!

I just got the C5D's today and they sound great! My setup right now is iPhone 5S -> C5D -> Shure 846.  One question that I have though is what cables do you use to connect the C5D to the iPhone to ensure maximum portability while on the go? I understand that I need the camera connection kit and a Micro - USB cable. However, when combined, the length of these two cables are too big to fit both my phone, the dac/amp, and the cables in my pocket.  Do you guys recommend any cables that are smaller and more portable to be used while on the go?

Thanks!

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #3,034 of 3,417
Hi Everyone!

I just got the C5D's today and they sound great! My setup right now is iPhone 5S -> C5D -> Shure 846.  One question that I have though is what cables do you use to connect the C5D to the iPhone to ensure maximum portability while on the go? I understand that I need the camera connection kit and a Micro - USB cable. However, when combined, the length of these two cables are too big to fit both my phone, the dac/amp, and the cables in my pocket.  Do you guys recommend any cables that are smaller and more portable to be used while on the go?

Thanks!

Want to ask you .. You noticed a difference in sound between the c5d and the phone out ? Could you describe more the difference please..

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #3,035 of 3,417
Hi Everyone!

Thanks!

You will need a proprietary "Lightning to USB" cable; Amazon sell Apple certified ones, and cheaper than Apple. Other third-party ones are known not to work properly.

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #3,036 of 3,417
Want to ask you .. You noticed a difference in sound between the c5d and the phone out ? Could you describe more the difference please..

There is a difference, yes, not a huge difference, but noticeable; the C5D is pure class, and it has more power to drive the headphone properly. An iPhone is capable of driving the headphone, but not to full performance (this is not just talking about 'volume'), the C5D has a very neutral DAC and plenty of power to drive the headphone correctly. However, it is more preferable to have a very good headphone too. You need both if you want supreme sound, a really good neutral powerful DAC/Amp like the C5D, and a really good neutral and balanced headphone. PM me if you want to know what headphone i recommend.

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #3,037 of 3,417
I have a similar setup.  I am using the camera connect kit for iPhone 5/6 and this little adapter.  

I think I found it on ebay.  

Here is one version

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Connector-2-0-A-Male-to-Mini-B-5-Pin-Male-USB-Adapter-NEW-/391007898146?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b09e30a22

Here is what it looks like.

Sorry for the crummy photo.  iPad camera.  Ha.

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #3,038 of 3,417
  I have a similar setup.  I am using the camera connect kit for iPhone 5/6 and this little adapter.  

I think I found it on ebay.  

Here is one version

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Connector-2-0-A-Male-to-Mini-B-5-Pin-Male-USB-Adapter-NEW-/391007898146?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b09e30a22

Here is what it looks like.

Sorry for the crummy photo.  iPad camera.  Ha.

Not bad at all. The best I could come up with was this:

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #3,039 of 3,417

There is a difference, yes, not a huge difference, but noticeable; the C5D is pure class, and it has more power to drive the headphone properly. An iPhone is capable of driving the headphone, but not to full performance (this is not just talking about 'volume'), the C5D has a very neutral DAC and plenty of power to drive the headphone correctly. However, it is more preferable to have a very good headphone too. You need both if you want supreme sound, a really good neutral powerful DAC/Amp like the C5D, and a really good neutral and balanced headphone. PM me if you want to know what headphone i recommend.

thanks a lot :) 

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #3,040 of 3,417
There's no other way, AFAIK. You MUST carry the CCK, and taking that into consideration, no matter how small the mUSB cable is, it will still be too cumbersome. Stupid Apple proprietary design.  I suggest you either use a big jacket (if the weather allows it, of course), or buy yourself a shoulder bag. It will make your digital life much easier and you'll have room for over-ear and clip-ons as well. I believe I must have said this somewhere in this thread .

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #3,041 of 3,417

Yes and no. I'm new to this community and don't consider my ears trained well enough yet to notice the subtle differences unlike other members in this board. However I must say that with the 846, I notice a big improvement particularly with the crispness of the lows. And when you turn the bass boost on the bass on the 846 really kicks it to another level versus plugging then in straight to phone.

However, I also have the Shure 535 and didn't notice a huge difference or improvement in plugging into jds versus plugging straight into 5S.

Again I don't consider my ears trained well enough like some others here, but this is just based on my ears and on the little time that I've used the jds C5D so far. So far I'm happy with it and definitely will use it whenever I want to listen through my 846s.

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #3,042 of 3,417
Got the c5d back after switching to 2 dacs!
Trade it first time coz I prefer my phone's sound to it, turns my my phone has a bit of mid-treble boost compared to c5d, made my dark v-shape headphone's vocal a bit more engaging.
Now with im70's balanced sound, I am loving the c5d.
I got the c5d back because the meridian explorer I had has background noise that is present with my im70, honestly I sill hear a bit hiss with the c5d, but it is nothing compared to explorer's, only noticeable when I plug it in, after I wearing it for 10 seconds, it's gone, my brain filtered it out XD

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #3,043 of 3,417
Yes and no. I'm new to this community and don't consider my ears trained well enough yet to notice the subtle differences unlike other members in this board. However I must say that with the 846, I notice a big improvement particularly with the crispness of the lows. And when you turn the bass boost on the bass on the 846 really kicks it to another level versus plugging then in straight to phone.

However, I also have the Shure 535 and didn't notice a huge difference or improvement in plugging into jds versus plugging straight into 5S.

Again I don't consider my ears trained well enough like some others here, but this is just based on my ears and on the little time that I've used the jds C5D so far. So far I'm happy with it and definitely will use it whenever I want to listen through my 846s.

Yes, for SE846, using the C5/C5D you will immediately clean up the low end muddiness due to proper impedance matching. Even an iPhone has 3-4 Ohm output versus <1 Ohm for C5. SE846 has 9 Ohm input whereas SE535 is 36 Ohm so your observation is spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back