JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 8, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #3,001 of 3,417
From my experiences a shoulder bag (wherever you go) will really make your (digital) life much easier. I put in my bag spare batteries, chargers, notes... The bag also drastically reduce the rate of my forgetting my keys and other important stuffs - if I know I'm going to need something for tomorrow, I'd just put it in the bag and go to sleep peacefully. Used to put the iBasso D2 and iGrado into the bag to take it to work, but right now I'd just leave my stuffs at the company.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #3,002 of 3,417
From my experiences a shoulder bag (wherever you go) will really make your (digital) life much easier. I put in my bag spare batteries, chargers, notes... The bag also drastically reduce the rate of my forgetting my keys and other important stuffs - if I know I'm going to need something for tomorrow, I'd just put it in the bag and go to sleep peacefully. Used to put the iBasso D2 and iGrado into the bag to take it to work, but right now I'd just leave my stuffs at the company.

Which bag? Just curious.

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #3,003 of 3,417
Something like this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Genuine-leather-Casual-Leisure-shoulder-bag-men-Free-Shipping-all-country/404115_520622737.html

You know, the typical one that people use for iPad. If you have a lot of stuffs to carry (like mechanical keyboards or laptops), consider some messenger bags.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #3,004 of 3,417
Technical term is Murse :)

I try bring my backpack with me ~everywhere; even if it has nothing in it by earbuds and pad/paper.

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #3,006 of 3,417
If you're willing to splurge on something, there's this:

http://www.territoryahead.com/item/193360/guy-stuff-gear-bag

Maybe you can get it as a gift.  I wouldn't have bought it, esp. since I don't use it nearly enough, but it is nice.

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #3,007 of 3,417
  How is the JDS C5D compared to the Fiio E17k or iBasso D-Zero MK2 or even other DACs in this price range?

My rule of thumbs is to stay away from Fiio (had bad experiences with the E5, E7 and E9 years ago). I like iBasso, but the D-Zero cannot compare to the JDS C5D. Everything still depends on your budget, though.

Feb 10, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #3,008 of 3,417
  My rule of thumbs is to stay away from Fiio (had bad experiences with the E5, E7 and E9 years ago). I like iBasso, but the D-Zero cannot compare to the JDS C5D. Everything still depends on your budget, though.

I'd recommend you stay away from all Fiio products. Every item I've purchased from this company offers nothing but poor quality, inconsistent quality control that eventually leads to the damage of my gear

Feb 10, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #3,009 of 3,417
Hah "lucky" for me I ordered an E5 that had faulty bass boost (did nothing), the E7 and E9 that my friends had quickly broke down in quick succession a few months after purchase. I've stayed away from them ever since. While iBasso, Little Dot, Aune and a few other Chinese/Asian audio equipment manufacturers have some sort of DIY-like and friendly feels to them, I'm under the impression that Fiio mass-produce their products with very poor QC.

Feb 10, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #3,010 of 3,417
  I'd recommend you stay away from all Fiio products. Every item I've purchased from this company offers nothing but poor quality, inconsistent quality control that eventually leads to the damage of my gear

Wow, some bad experiences with Fiio products here. While I have the C5D and honestly think it's one of the best portable DAC/Amps you can buy, I had some good experiences with Fiio, the X3 and X5 are really good so far. The E1 was crap, the E02i failed pretty quickly, the D7 was great. However, the C5D sounds amazing, black black black background and quality is rock solid. 

Feb 10, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #3,011 of 3,417
I have the JDS C5D not long ago (few weeks). Suddenly last week, my music got cut out from the left side. At first, i though it was the headphone prob. But after try many times with different head/earphones, all the left side sound got cut off. Without the C5D, everything is normal.
Is it a faulty product or some other reason?

Thanks

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #3,013 of 3,417
Back on topic. The C5D:

I have the JDS C5D not long ago (few weeks). Suddenly last week, my music got cut out from the left side. At first, i though it was the headphone prob. But after try many times with different head/earphones, all the left side sound got cut off. Without the C5D, everything is normal.
Is it a faulty product or some other reason?

Thanks

It seems to be an issue with the C5D. But let's first rule out the connections and cables: How do you feed the C5D? Via USB from a PC/Mac or from a iPhone/Android? If yes then it's likely to be the C5D internals. If you are feeding it with a 3.5mm line out from somewhere else, I would check with a different cable. You can certainly rule out the headphones as you already tested them from different sources. 

Since you said you have yours for only a few weeks, it's still under warranty and I would contact JDSLabs and ask for the best way to return it after your ruled out faulty cables/connections. 

Keep us updated, cheers,
K

EDIT: To the moderators, thanks for cleaning this thread up!

Feb 12, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #3,015 of 3,417
Kudos to JDS Labs for great customer service.

I had to send back my C5D for repair.  No hassle RMA and they fixed it and put it back into shipping within 1 day of receipt.  

When I got the package back, I found an extra enclosure and a note saying that the enclosure got dropped during repair so they replaced it with shiny new one.  Honestly, I looked at my old enclosure and I didn't see any damage so if they had just not said anything I would have been none the wiser!

All too often only the squeaky wheels get heard on the forums so I wanted to get on the record for a job well done.

Thanks JDS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back