JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Jan 27, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #2,986 of 3,417
  Don't know if there will be a successor as essentially, there's nothing much that JDS Labs can improve on the C5S objective wise (since it did so well on the measurements and any improvement is supposed to be inaudible).

Just guessing: They MIGHT come out with a bigger and more powerful unit, and sell both of them side by side, something like what Centrance is doing with M8 and mini-M8. Not sure if they will be interested in coming out with a desktop unit since they are also selling the O2/ODAC combo.

Yeah that's kind of what I figured as well.  I definitely don't need bigger and more powerful, so I'll just continue along w/ my fantastic C5D and be happy.  :)

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #2,987 of 3,417
  Don't know if there will be a successor as essentially, there's nothing much that JDS Labs can improve on the C5S objective wise (since it did so well on the measurements and any improvement is supposed to be inaudible).

Just guessing: They MIGHT come out with a bigger and more powerful unit, and sell both of them side by side, something like what Centrance is doing with M8 and mini-M8. Not sure if they will be interested in coming out with a desktop unit since they are also selling the O2/ODAC combo.

A powerful desktop unit, maybe an amp + DAC, that can drive the tougher cans well (HE-560s, maybe not HE-6s) a la the Polaris from Garage1217, or an Audio-gd type with more style...
wink.gif
, seems like a logical next step.  It's a bit of a crowded market, but maybe they can use (or already have) the Schiit/Garage1217 philosophy of keeping the production as domestic as possible.  That would keep the retail price down.  I don't doubt their engineering chops.  My Spidey sense is tingling 
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #2,988 of 3,417
I prefer to keep portable without change the footprint, C5/D already has excellent build size. Perhaps JDS could improve the tech inside to better implementation or something else. Nowadays portable amp have opamp + buffer mix, and mostly work well.

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #2,989 of 3,417
I have a c421. I was bummed when I found out about the C5D. I still don't have an external DAC :frowning2:

It's a great size as a portable DAC/amp

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #2,990 of 3,417
I have a c421. I was bummed when I found out about the C5D. I still don't have an external DAC
frown.gif

It's a great size as a portable DAC/amp

I had a C421 which I promptly sold when JDS released the C5 which I promptly sold again when they released the C5D lol. 

Maybe JDS can release a fully balanced version of the C5D next? (C5B maybe?)

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #2,991 of 3,417
I had a C421 which I promptly sold when JDS released the C5 which I promptly sold again when they released the C5D lol. 

Maybe JDS can release a fully balanced version of the C5D next? (C5B maybe?)

I was in ignorant bliss for awhile there because I stopped reading Head Fi and just listened to music, lol. I'm now back in gear lust mode again.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #2,994 of 3,417

My money is on a desktop amp. Right before Nwavguy disappeared, he was teasing the ODA project, so maybe JDS Labs will finally be the one to give us what we want? 
rolleyes.gif

Someone DIYer has already contribute the ODA design in diy thread here and link refers to diyaudio here , it's cool 
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #2,995 of 3,417
Someone DIYer has already contribute the ODA design in diy thread here and link refers to diyaudio here , it's cool :D  

Yup i saw that some time back, but its not as friendly to diy beginners and it also doesnt have the same leve of support as the O2 amps from established manfacturers. So personally i still see a market for a JDS ODA+ODAC combo.

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #2,996 of 3,417
I have used my c5D red for about 2 weeks.... Traveled with it. Not for me, when traveling I found it cumbersome to remember to charge and pack one more item. Rather have a spare battery charger and space is limited.

If someone is interested in purchasing it from me please PM. Used for a total of 8 hours on two flights.

Feb 1, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #2,997 of 3,417
  I have used my c5D red for about 2 weeks.... Traveled with it. Not for me, when traveling I found it cumbersome to remember to charge and pack one more item. Rather have a spare battery charger and space is limited.

If someone is interested in purchasing it from me please PM. Used for a total of 8 hours on two flights.

But you would have known before making the purchase right? It's like saying the ipod is not for me because it's too cumbersome and an additional charger is needed. I assume you won't consider buying another portable amp/dac because it will also require carrying an extra charger when travelling.  

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #2,998 of 3,417
  But you would have known before making the purchase right? It's like saying the ipod is not for me because it's too cumbersome and an additional charger is needed. I assume you won't consider buying another portable amp/dac because it will also require carrying an extra charger when travelling.  

An Ipod would be cumbersome... 

No; I think I will just use my iphone and be fine with it. No need to add additional items that limit portability. 

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #3,000 of 3,417
Anyone have any info as to how either the C5 and C5D stack up against the Cayin C5 or iBasso D-Zero 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back