JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 4, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #3,046 of 3,417
I have a question too.  I am considering the C5 to pair with my iPhone 6, mainly for use at home. One of the things I want to *avoid* is a mediocre volume control pot that creates channel imbalance at lower listening levels - which leaves out most portable amps and reasonably priced desktop amps such as the O2 and the Schiit Magni.  The Asgard 2 at least has a decent Alps 27mm pot, but this is starting to get a bit expensive for what I need (plus I don't really require a hot running class A amp).

What I'm curious about if there are any other sub-$250 amps I could look at that have a good analog or digital potentiometer, or is the C5 really unique with this feature?  Thanks for the info.

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #3,047 of 3,417
  I have a question too.  I am considering the C5 to pair with my iPhone 6, mainly for use at home. One of the things I want to *avoid* is a mediocre volume control pot that creates channel imbalance at lower listening levels - which leaves out most portable amps and reasonably priced desktop amps such as the O2 and the Schiit Magni.  The Asgard 2 at least has a decent Alps 27mm pot, but this is starting to get a bit expensive for what I need (plus I don't really require a hot running class A amp).

What I'm curious about if there are any other sub-$250 amps I could look at that have a good analog or digital potentiometer, or is the C5 really unique with this feature?  Thanks for the info.

I am not sure about sub-$250, but for $300, the newly released OPPO HA-2 could meet your needs.  

https://www.oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-2/headphone-amplifier-HA-2-Features.aspx

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #3,051 of 3,417
So after a long commute day from hell here in NYC. I broke off my line in jack of my beloved c5. Is there anyone in NYC that could fix this? My headphone jack is also (seemingly) a little loose on one side. Going away for a while in a couple weeks and need if for the trip. Any help is appreciated!

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #3,057 of 3,417
Here is pictures of my setup.

Apple iPod Classic 7th Generation
Audio Minor Silver/Copper LOD
JDS Labs C5 Portable Headphone Amplifire
Audio Technica ATH-M50

2ded7449_image.jpeg

9b4a004b_image.jpeg

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #3,058 of 3,417
Here is pictures of my setup.

Apple iPod Classic 7th Generation
Audio Minor Silver/Copper LOD
JDS Labs C5 Portable Headphone Amplifire
Audio Technica ATH-M50

2ded7449_image.jpeg

9b4a004b_image.jpeg

God that looks gorgeous.  Awesome pictures.  

By the way, what case are you using on the C5?  Actually, no offense but is that just shelf liner wrapped around the C5?   Still looks great and more importantly looks protective. :)

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #3,060 of 3,417
God that looks gorgeous.  Awesome pictures.  

By the way, what case are you using on the C5?  Actually, no offense but is that just shelf liner wrapped around the C5?   Still looks great and more importantly looks protective. :)

Thanks!

Yes it's shelf liner, I ordered it from Amazon. The item is called Con-Tact Grip Premium Non-Adhesive Shelf Liner, 12-Inch by 4-Feet, Black. Here is the link http://www.amazon.com/Con-Tact-Premium-Non-Adhesive-Non-Slip-12-Inches/dp/B001AH8PLI

I got the idea from my good friend zombywoof
He deserves all the credit. Here is his post about using the shelf line with his C5.

I have not heard the C5 with the Vsonic, but someone else probably has this combo and can comment.

Getting the music from the iPod to the C5 can be accomplished in two ways.  You can use a 3.5 mm >3.5 mm cable.  This takes amplified sound from the iPod headphone out jack, and feeds into the input on the C5 where it is amplified again.  In this arrangement the volume control on the iPod will still be functional, as will the volume control on the amp.  The preferred way, and the way to get the full advantage of the generally superior amplifier in the C5 compared to the amplifier in the iPod, is to use a line out dock cable which is a 30 pin (for docking connector on iPod) > 3.5 mm.  In this arrangement, you will bypass the amplifier on the iPod (the volume control on the iPod will no longer function), and be feeding an unamplified analog signal directly to the C5, taking full advantage of the SQ of the C5.  A photo of my rig is below.  If you are going to go the route of an external amplifier, the small investment (about $10 on Amazon) for the Fiio L9 cable is necessary, in my opinion.  (Just type Fiio L9 in the Amazon search box.)  If you decide to go with the C5, I believe JDS Labs sells the Fiio L9 on their site.

Some folks claim that the custom LOD cables improve SQ.  I am not one of them.  The Fiio LOD cable is well made and inexpensive...does the job.  I have had one for almost two years with out ever having any problems.  The custom LOD cables can be in the $100-$200 price range.  If I had that kind of $$$ available, my choice would be to upgrade headphones/IEMs.

Hope this helps.

The material I used is a perforated foam shelf liner that my wife had left over from the kitchen cabinets.  Actually, I believe it is similar to the material identified by H2O, but sold in a roll.  All I did was cut a rectangle the same length as the C5, and with width long enough to wrap completely around the C5.  I wrapped the piece of shelf liner around the C5, temporarily held the ends together with some electrical tape, and placed my iPod on top of the taped side.  With the elastic band in place everything stays together nicely.  Here is another pic that with a better view of the material.

A happy coincidence that my C5 is red and the shelf liner was red.  One would not want to go out of the house with a portable rig that is not color coordinated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back