JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Nov 3, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #2,851 of 3,417
  After one month of usage, what can I shortly tell about the C5?

Pros:
  1. build quality
  2. detailed clean sound
  3. fast, tight and very well controlled bass on my H3
  4. neutral
  5. instrument separation
  6. makes XBA-H3 sound more openly and airy on highs
  7. a good pair with the X5 MM

Cons:
  1. Gain switch combined with Volume.
I switch it occasionally from low to high very often. A separate switch\knob\button would be much better.
  1. Battery life could be longer/higher capacity.
 My X5 from line-out works for 16-18 hours. C5 works for 10-12 h.
  1. I still cannot understand if I really like a mid-forwarded sound or not.  
  2. Soundstage could be wider

To me the C5 has a great value for its price.

more like for any price 

Nov 3, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #2,852 of 3,417
I don't know why some people are complaining about the 11 hrs of battery life not being enough. As long as the battery doesn't deplete during one day of use, I'm happy. I don't think anybody will be using the c5 for more than 11 hours a day. It's not hard to plug it into a usb charger over night. One of the benefits to the c5 is having a slim and portable form factor. Adding more bulk to accommodate a large battery is just plain silly when 11 hours is more than enough for must users. 
Plus since the faceplate can easily be removed to allow easy access the the battery, it's pretty easy to replace one with a higher capacity. I know of people who have already done this.  
One thing I do agree is it's difficult to change from high to low gain by pressing on the volume wheel. A lot of time when I try to press the volume wheel down, nothing happens and have to retry a few times at the right angel to work. The only why I can tell if I'm on high or low gain is by listening to the amount of background hiss and volume. The volume doubling as a gain switch just feels a bit flimsy. 

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #2,856 of 3,417
not sure if anyone cares, but after a good week of testing I isolated the issue to my phone having a dirty output signal, and mac VLC screwing with FLACs.

Based on that, got absolutely nothing to complain about the c5d. Sounds really fantastic at a great price.

My only regret is not getting engraving...

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #2,857 of 3,417
You can buy a new case for $16 w/ free engraving!

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #2,859 of 3,417
  No way!  I have the boring JDS Labs on mine.  

Way!  :)

http://www.jdslabs.com/products/80/aluminum-case-for-c5-or-odac/

you'll see engrave option when you 'add to cart'

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #2,860 of 3,417
  Way!  :)

http://www.jdslabs.com/products/80/aluminum-case-for-c5-or-odac/

you'll see engrave option when you 'add to cart'

I have it all set in my shopping cart but I am unable to view the pic on the unit.  I don't want to get the unit with the pic not as I expect it.  I wish the ordering screen had a better viewing option.  What to do.....?

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #2,862 of 3,417
My C5D is here and it's stunning

And sounds amazing, thank you JDS Labs

WOW ..... impressions .. impressions PLEASE .. as i intend to make a similar set up already ... and from your profile photo i think we have similar iems too .. congratulations dude 
beerchug.gif

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #2,863 of 3,417
  I had the same thing. When I took the face plate off I noticed tiny shards of metal sticking out of the holes where the screws go in. I filed them down to be smooth and the face plate is perfectly flush now. 

This production method was replaced earlier this year. All drill holes are now deburred on both sides.

@shuggs: I don't think that is normal with the newest production. If the unit was purchased recently and direct from JDS Labs, please email and we'll be glad to exchange.

It would be great if John provided a list of compatible batteries that would extend the battery life of the C5D.

The battery shipping in C5 and C5D is the highest capacity for the available enclosure space. Part numbers are CS-IPOD4HL and CS-JDC421SL.

C5 and C5D sacrifice battery run time for cleaner power supply rails.

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #2,865 of 3,417
quick fix to get flush fit... Mahalo! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back