JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Nov 6, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #2,866 of 3,417
I was using a fiio e12 with phonak pfe232 and found that whilst is helped boost the low end and give the sound more body, detail was lost in the highs and there was a sibilance at high volumes with some tracks. I sold the e12 and now wondering if a c5d is the way to go. I'll be using it with the grey filters. Also would the c5d offer better sq than iphone 6 can pump out or wouldn't there be much difference?

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #2,867 of 3,417
Is it true that only the A$39 apple lightning/usb camera cable works for the C5D for the DAC to work?
I'm about to get the C5D and that long cable concerns me when I want to take it out .....

Has anyone tried these cheap lightning to micro usb ? so these will not work?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8-Pins-Lightning-to-Micro-USB-Adapter-for-Apple-iPhone-5-/111142463892?pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item19e09b6994

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #2,868 of 3,417
  Is it true that only the A$39 apple lightning/usb camera cable works for the C5D for the DAC to work?
I'm about to get the C5D and that long cable concerns me when I want to take it out .....

Has anyone tried these cheap lightning to micro usb ? so these will not work?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8-Pins-Lightning-to-Micro-USB-Adapter-for-Apple-iPhone-5-/111142463892?pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item19e09b6994

No this cable won't work. The C5D has a mini USB connection (not micro USB) - you can get short cables - see attached.

Also, you can find this piece of information on the JDS Labs website:
Quote:
One might expect that Apple’s Lightning to Micro USB adapter (MD820ZM) and a short USB cable would also work. We’ve confirmed this adapter is NOT usable with DACs! Apparently it was made only for charging.
Unquote

cheers,
K

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #2,869 of 3,417
thanks .. just needed to confirm before I spend on the apple cable.

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #2,870 of 3,417
well I got my C5D 2nd hand from a friend today and I was so surprised at how small and beautiful is!! it's tiny .. I couldn't tell from the pictures but next to my iphone 6 it's small. What a great looking little thing ... I'm loving it a lot.

I got the apple lightning/USB cable and works very well. I've been going back and worth with the SE846, H3, IE800, O2+ODAC comparing the differences and I really really like it. After reading this whole thread, I thought maybe it doesn't make much of a difference but it does. Just using the amp I didn't think it sounded that much different from just the iphone but with the DAC, it's punchy and full sounding and the bass boost is so so so well done .. I wish they had that button on the O2+ODAC! 

Also the noise floor with the 846 has lowered significantly too .. I never noticed it on the iphone 6 but when you compare it with the C5D .. it's very noticeable.

I enjoy both O2+ODAC and C5D .. they do sound different. O2 is super clean super clear with wider soundstage and brighter. For me the C5D does sound slightly darker and the soundstage not as open but also makes it sound fuller especially if you turn on bass boost .. I like the medium bass boost at the moment.

Compared to the E17 I had before .. it's no competition. The C5D is way way ahead especially on clarity.

I've only played around with it for a few hours but this is a keeper just like the O2+ODAC (which made me sell all my other amps). 
Just a great job JDSLABS has done with these ... so well made and sound so great and the price is amazing for what you get. 
They also have the best customer service ever.

so now .. to make the cable as short as possible I'm going to try one of these from ebay:

Since the C5D is so small, I think it might be just ok under the iphone 6.

Nov 21, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #2,871 of 3,417
Hey all. Searched and searched. Got a c5 coming and an Odac. Wondering if anyone has tried this combination with success. I am referring to the older ODAC with the old case, and likely the old C5 with just the 2 bass boosts. Lost the bid on the O2 amp from the same seller as the odac. So instead of shelling out for a new O2 I plan on using the C5 with the ODAC. Just curious if anyone has done this. I admittedly did not read every post but I've tried searching several different ways and did read at least 300 posts. Thoughts?

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #2,872 of 3,417
A question on this amp/dac (C5D) - does the blue light go out when it is charged? If not, is there any way to know when it has received a full charge?

EDIT: Okay, the light went out... 

Just got one 2nd hand and am charging it before having a go at it - so to use my iPhone 6, I need a lightning to mini usb cable? 

If I use with a 4th generation iPod Touch (30 pin) all I think I need is the CCK and a USB cable - that I have....

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #2,873 of 3,417
Hey all. Searched and searched. Got a c5 coming and an Odac. Wondering if anyone has tried this combination with success. I am referring to the older ODAC with the old case, and likely the old C5 with just the 2 bass boosts. Lost the bid on the O2 amp from the same seller as the odac. So instead of shelling out for a new O2 I plan on using the C5 with the ODAC. Just curious if anyone has done this. I admittedly did not read every post but I've tried searching several different ways and did read at least 300 posts. Thoughts?

In my review of the C5, I made a comparison between it and the O2.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/jds-labs-c5-headphone-amplifier/reviews/9198

Here are my comparisons between the O2 and the C5:
  • O2 gives the sense of a larger soundstage with more air between instruments (a school cafeteria); the C5 sounds more boxed-in (a school classroom)
  • O2 sounds a bit more dynamic; the C5 sounds a little duller (not boring dull, but instruments don't sound as "full" and don't offer the kind of grand sound you get from the O2)
  • O2 has a more laid-back upper-midrange/lower-treble (relative to the C5); the C5 sounds a bit brighter and more fatiguing
  • Relating to the above point, the C5 has a midrange that is is a bit more forward and engaging; the O2 sounds more laid-back

Just got one 2nd hand and am charging it before having a go at it - so to use my iPhone 6, I need a lightning to mini usb cable? 

If I use with a 4th generation iPod Touch (30 pin) all I think I need is the CCK and a USB cable - that I have....

To use the C5D as a DAC, you need the Lighting Camera Connection Kit or 30-pin Camera Connection Kit, a USB A to miniUSB cable, and be running iOS 7 or above.
gsmarena_003.jpg

Nov 22, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #2,874 of 3,417
That's really helpful. I also just received an e17 and I feel the bass is just too slow or something. I am a musician and I enjoy music, but also learn from it. So when I listen to music (Jazz) I need to hear clarity as well. Your description of the c5 being a little harsh bodes well. I am a drummer and I need to hear the attack of cymbals and drums at their natural speed as well as how the bass player is pulling the strings. On the fiio e17 it smooths the bass over just enough to where it just sounds like an elongated bass note and I no longer hear the attack of the bassist's finger. Which is what we drummers try to lock up with/play with musically. So hopefully the c5 with the oDAC will provide a more honest presentation. Based on your comments and my homework this far I think it just might! Thanks for your reply. :)

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #2,876 of 3,417
Er4P and er4PS when I can figure out which pocket I put the adaptor in. The Odac will be for my Mac at home. I use an iPod classic for portable use for now. So I can't bypass the iPod's DAC which is generally good. Looking forward to the C5 with my ipod classic.

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #2,879 of 3,417
well I got my C5D 2nd hand from a friend today and I was so surprised at how small and beautiful is!! it's tiny .. I couldn't tell from the pictures but next to my iphone 6 it's small. What a great looking little thing ... I'm loving it a lot.

I got the apple lightning/USB cable and works very well. I've been going back and worth with the SE846, H3, IE800, O2+ODAC comparing the differences and I really really like it. After reading this whole thread, I thought maybe it doesn't make much of a difference but it does. Just using the amp I didn't think it sounded that much different from just the iphone but with the DAC, it's punchy and full sounding and the bass boost is so so so well done .. I wish they had that button on the O2+ODAC! 

Also the noise floor with the 846 has lowered significantly too .. I never noticed it on the iphone 6 but when you compare it with the C5D .. it's very noticeable.

I enjoy both O2+ODAC and C5D .. they do sound different. O2 is super clean super clear with wider soundstage and brighter. For me the C5D does sound slightly darker and the soundstage not as open but also makes it sound fuller especially if you turn on bass boost .. I like the medium bass boost at the moment.

Compared to the E17 I had before .. it's no competition. The C5D is way way ahead especially on clarity.

Can you take a picture of the C5d with ur iphone? I need to know the exact cable setup. Also I might want to use the c5d for work. Are they bigger than the c421? Oh how I've missed the bass boost on that one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back