JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Oct 23, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #2,821 of 3,417
Do anyone use the Shure SE215 with the JDS Labs C5? If so could I have your input on them? I have the Audio Technicas ATH-IM50 and I'm not happy with them so I'm looking at other IEM and the SE215 are first up on my list.

I don't think it's worth spending on an amp that costs more than the iem itself.
Why not spend the money on upgrading to the SE425.
SE425 & phone > SE215 with C5/D & phone
Much better value for money.     

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #2,823 of 3,417
The SE425 is too expensive. I'm willing to look at the SE315. Hiw is the sound on those?

It's the same price as the SE215 and c5 combined. 
Then wait for a good deal on a used pair. I got my SE425 for $100.
Sorry about I've never listening to the SE315 so can't comment but probably not worth it. It's just got a single BA driver.  

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #2,824 of 3,417
Current source is a Moto X 2013, potentially buying something new soon though (Moto X 2014, Xperia Z3v, Nexus 6). 

The last four or five phones I've tried have all worked fine with OTG and the C5D.  Moto X 2014, Xperia Z3 Compact, OnePlus One, Galaxy Alpha are the most recent, and all have worked without custom software.  I'm trying to remember if my Moto X 2013 worked...I know the Nexus 5 DID NOT (at least when I had it at the beginning of the year).  

Android L should fix all that going forward either way, unless manufacturers cook their software.

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #2,825 of 3,417
MotoX 2013 does work...

Oct 27, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #2,826 of 3,417
Hi,

I recently bought a C5D. I love how it sounds, and how well it pairs sonically with my e-q5s. These are sensitive earphones, so the blackest of backgrounds is very, very welcome.

I'm pairing it with a Sony Xperia Z1. Very occasionally I've been noticing crackles and pops. I haven't noticed those in the music before, including with my desktop setup.

I was wondering what might be the possible cause. Is it because I'm stacking them and my phone is interfering?

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #2,827 of 3,417

I was wondering what might be the possible cause. 

When I first got my C5D, my LG G3 wasn't giving it USB audio out (even though others with the same model weren't having this issue), and my Galaxy Tab running custom software would work but make popping/crackling sounds after ~8 minutes or so until I paused it then started playing again. The C5D worked fine through USB connection to my desktop and laptop, so I think it was an issue with the software/audio driver. I ended up getting JDS's short 3.5mm cable and using that instead of USB and now it works great.

Oct 27, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #2,828 of 3,417
Thanks for your reply, I'm not sure we are having the same problem though.

My phone, the xperia z1 natively supports usb OTG.

By and large the output is fine, but occasionally and apparently randomly I hear some jitter, or some very faint single "pop" sounds. They sound like very faint and quick snare drum taps.

I'm not sure exactly what component is causing this. I've never heard it on my desktop setup, or mac>c5d, and I don't really recall hearing it when I use the headphone out, either.

I haven't ruled out that its my re-soldered e-q5s either. But as you all know, once you hear these kinds of things its hard to ignore and it becomes all you focus on!

Will keep experimenting. But as far as I know, if you use aux, it won't bypass the internal dac/amp? Such that there is limited benefit from using the c5d off the phone

Oct 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #2,829 of 3,417
My G3 should support USB out also, so not sure what the issue is there. But I've noticed no difference in audio quality from the C5D via USB on Windows and via 3.5mm on the G3 or the iPhone5 I've been using it with. While you may have a different issue, I would still try testing the 3.5mm port to see how that does. I'd assume the C5D to be the least likely piece to be causing the noise.

Oct 27, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #2,830 of 3,417
I'm in the office now and testing the combo "unstacked", wifi off. It seems like the problems are gone. Will let you know more after further testing

edit: seems to be back. quite perplexed now. I don't have an aux cable on me to test 3.5 to 3.5, but I will try it. Hopefully someone can elaborate how the phone and amp interact when its aux? my thinking is it acts just as a double amp

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #2,831 of 3,417
I'm in the office now and testing the combo "unstacked", wifi off. It seems like the problems are gone. Will let you know more after further testing

edit: seems to be back. quite perplexed now. I don't have an aux cable on me to test 3.5 to 3.5, but I will try it. Hopefully someone can elaborate how the phone and amp interact when its aux? my thinking is it acts just as a double amp

Contact your retailer and ask for an exchange?

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #2,832 of 3,417
I definitely want to do more testing first. When I get home I'll do some really rigorous listening off my macbook>c5d with the same songs. Might also wait for my second pair of e-q5s to arrive first before making a judgement!

UPDATE: definitely not a problem with the amp itself. Some jitters exist in the music itself (somehow sound louder off the c5d) and possibly issue with my interconnect.
Everything else I have seems broken - mac VLC flac playback gives me some crackle for a good 10 seconds at the start of each playback...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back