JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 9, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #2,131 of 3,417
is there ( or i can order ?) the new C5 with black color & silver front & rear plates? 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #2,133 of 3,417
Question. I'm looking for a amp/dac to go with my iPod Classic 7G and Shure SE846 IEMs. Has the C5D advantages above the C5 in this case?

And how do I connect both for the best audio quality?

Thanks a lot! :)

BTW: I can't imagine how bass boost must be like on the Shure SE846 
basshead.gif

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #2,134 of 3,417
Question. I'm looking for a amp/dac to go with my iPod Classic 7G and Shure SE846 IEMs. Has the C5D advantages above the C5 in this case?

And how do I connect both for the best audio quality?

Thanks a lot! :)

BTW: I can't imagine how bass boost must be like on the Shure SE846 :basshead:

The C5D has 2 bass boost switch settings (half and max), whereas the C5 only has 1 (max).
Additionally, if you need it, the C5D is also an external soundcard. If you don't need that, then the C5 would be a better option for you.

iPod Classic -> line out dock cable -> C5/C5D -> SE846

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #2,135 of 3,417
The C5D has 2 bass boost switch settings (half and max), whereas the C5 only has 1 (max).
Additionally, if you need it, the C5D is also an external soundcard. If you don't need that, then the C5 would be a better option for you.

C5 and C5D each have Off / Medium / High bass boost. 

C5 has the exact same bass boost toggle as C5D, effective December 17, 2013. Please see the C5 product page for more information.

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #2,137 of 3,417

C5 and C5D each have Off / Medium / High bass boost. 

C5 has the exact same bass boost toggle as C5D, effective December 17, 2013. Please see the C5 product page for more information.

Wah, I didn't know that. That's really nice!

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #2,138 of 3,417

As good as the DAC in C5D is, I wish C5 has the low output impedance of C5D. I only need an clean. neutral and low noise, low distortion amp that matches physically with my DX50 using low impedance CIEMS because I already have a few DACs.

The 2.2 ohm output impedance of C5 may not have enough headroom for <16 Ohm multi -BA iems.

Should be no problem. Any deviation will be <1db

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #2,141 of 3,417
So...what's the recommended way to listen to the C5D...well what's the "proper" way I should say.  Low gain, higher volume or high gain, low volume?  From an electronic standpoint, there has to be a preferred way to run it.  Currently, I'm running the M100s on it coming out of an iPad Air or iPod Touch 5th Gen via the USB Camera Connection Kit.

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #2,143 of 3,417
So...what's the recommended way to listen to the C5D...well what's the "proper" way I should say.  Low gain, higher volume or high gain, low volume?  From an electronic standpoint, there has to be a preferred way to run it.  Currently, I'm running the M100s on it coming out of an iPad Air or iPod Touch 5th Gen via the USB Camera Connection Kit.

I'd use maximum, or near maximum, volume level on the iDevice to get a bit-perfect signal from the device, have the C5D running on battery mode unless you want the iDevice to charge the C5D's battery, and either gain setting and volume level on the C5D depending on the headphone. For the M-100, I prefer low-gain because high-gain is too loud for me.

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #2,144 of 3,417
I'd use maximum, or near maximum, volume level on the iDevice to get a bit-perfect signal from the device, have the C5D running on battery mode unless you want the iDevice to charge the C5D's battery, and either gain setting and volume level on the C5D depending on the headphone. For the M-100, I prefer low-gain because high-gain is too loud for me.

Yeah, both the Air and the iTouch need it to be in Battery mode or they won't work.  And I'm running higher volume on low gain at this point, but was just wondering if there was some advantage to running high gain @ a lower volume.  I can't tell a difference sonically...so lower is probably better.  :wink:

Thanks guys.  This C5D is a damn impressive device.  I researched and researched trying to figure out what amp I was ganna get (as I'm not a huge fan of the e07k I've got currently) and I just love the sound.  It seems to bring the mids forward a bit more than the e07k...which is one of the m100s few flaws (slightly recessed mids).

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #2,145 of 3,417

This C5D is a damn impressive device.  I researched and researched trying to figure out what amp I was ganna get (as I'm not a huge fan of the e07k I've got currently) and I just love the sound.  It seems to bring the mids forward a bit more than the e07k...which is one of the m100s few flaws (slightly recessed mids).

When i heard people mention that the C5D is like a baby O2, I was quite thrilled! To be honest, carrying the O2 around (it's big!) was not really working for me.
The C5D is something i'm able to strap to my iPod, and still be able to pocket it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back