JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 6, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #2,116 of 3,417
I like AOKP because of the ease of customization of home screens and such. I am using Devil kernel overclocked only to 1.5gHz

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #2,117 of 3,417
I had a very difficult time (about 2 weeks of reading) deciding between the C5D and the UHA-4...and ultimately, the bass boost switch won out for me.  I simply need to be able to add a bit more if I want (depending on the headphones I'm using).  So I guess we'll see if I made the right decision.  Oh, and it's 30 bucks cheaper.  :wink:

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #2,118 of 3,417
I had a very difficult time (about 2 weeks of reading) deciding between the C5D and the UHA-4...and ultimately, the bass boost switch won out for me.  I simply need to be able to add a bit more if I want (depending on the headphones I'm using).  So I guess we'll see if I made the right decision.  Oh, and it's 30 bucks cheaper.  :wink:

How could C5D be cheaper? Last time I check it's around 250 bucks and UHA-4 is 199 unless you go for OPA627 which bumps it to 249.

Yes the bass boost function of C5D is great which make it great for listening to music with hard hitting beats. The hardware boost sounds more natural to me than the EQ boost. UHA-4 (with OPA627) though is a bit more neutral and resolving on treble details. Maybe lacking in bass compared to C5D but a better all-rounder IMO.

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #2,119 of 3,417
How could C5D be cheaper? Last time I check it's around 250 bucks and UHA-4 is 199 unless you go for OPA627 which bumps it to 249.

Yes the bass boost function of C5D is great which make it great for listening to music with hard hitting beats. The hardware boost sounds more natural to me than the EQ boost. UHA-4 (with OPA627) though is a bit more neutral and resolving on treble details. Maybe lacking in bass compared to C5D but a better all-rounder IMO.

Woops...mean UHA-6S MKII.  Apologies.

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #2,122 of 3,417
Well...I ordered both.  How about that?  LOL.  :)  Should know next week sometime which is better.

Haha just for the record it was not my intention to push you in doing so. I have the C5D, UHA-4 and the UHA-6SMKII for my portable use. The latter seeing the most action than the other 2.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #2,124 of 3,417
Yep. Bought one on Wednesday :wink:

Edit to add - I also listened to a demo of the previous build; no audible difference on the impedance side to my ears (nor the person who sold it to me/their colleagues), and personally speaking, I prefer the 'variable' bass boost rather than just on/off. I'm not really a 'basshead' & find high bass boost (or simply 'on' with the previous build) too much for my tastes (don't really listen to music that would suit it). However, the 'mid' bass boost setting is quite nice with some music & has a rather pleasing thud to it without being overkill (to me at least) :)

Now C5 with 2 bass boost settings ( mid - high ) ....with output impedance less than 1ohm ....anybody tried that ?

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #2,125 of 3,417
Yep. Bought one on Wednesday :wink:

Edit to add - I also listened to a demo of the previous build; no audible difference on the impedance side to my ears (nor the person who sold it to me/their colleagues), and personally speaking, I prefer the 'variable' bass boost rather than just on/off. I'm not really a 'basshead' & find high bass boost (or simply 'on' with the previous build) too much for my tastes (don't really listen to music that would suit it). However, the 'mid' bass boost setting is quite nice with some music & has a rather pleasing thud to it without being overkill (to me at least) :)

thanks a lot for your reply .... as i was using fiio e11 and i find its bass boost make a very shallow difference in bass boosting so i want one more powerful 

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #2,126 of 3,417
No worries. I guess it depends on how much bass you're after; no doubt even the high bass boost on this wouldn't be enough for some people :wink: (I would have thought it should be for most though).

thanks a lot for your reply .... as i was using fiio e11 and i find its bass boost make a very shallow difference in bass boosting so i want one more powerful 

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #2,127 of 3,417
Got my C5D today and wow. It's an impressive device. Definitely happy to have the bass boost but with the m100s it's not necessary at all. Anything outside of normal is just too much. Moves way too much air and you get too much vibration in the headphone. Definitely not the C5Ds fault. With the Focal Spirit Pro I can run it on mid level and it's fantastic. Full boost on even a bass light monitoring headphone like that is even too much. I suppose that setting will be reserved for movies or gaming.

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #2,128 of 3,417
Got my C5D today and wow. It's an impressive device. Definitely happy to have the bass boost but with the m100s it's not necessary at all. Anything outside of normal is just too much. Moves way too much air and you get too much vibration in the headphone. Definitely not the C5Ds fault. With the Focal Spirit Pro I can run it on mid level and it's fantastic. Full boost on even a bass light monitoring headphone like that is even too much. I suppose that setting will be reserved for movies or gaming.

Hahaha. I only use the C5D's bass boost when in a noisy public bus with the M-100. Otherwise, yup, prepare your skull. XD

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #2,129 of 3,417

Hahaha. I only use the C5D's bass boost when in a noisy public bus with the M-100. Otherwise, yup, prepare your skull. XD

This thing will even give the er4s bass! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back