JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Jan 31, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #2,086 of 3,417
You pretty much nailed it, they are the improvements it usually brings.

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #2,089 of 3,417
Anyone tried to pair this with the shure 215 iems? Any feedbacks?

i'm using the shure se 215cl with c5d and ipod touch 5th gen, they sound great! i was using fiio e07k before the c5d and i really prefer the c5d over the fiio, the sub bass is just awesome on the c5d!

Feb 2, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #2,090 of 3,417
JDS can engrave a picture on your amp? Any1 can show their engraved C5 or C5D. Thanks 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #2,091 of 3,417
  JDS can engrave a picture on your amp? Any1 can show their engraved C5 or C5D. Thanks 
bigsmile_face.gif

On C5:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/647838/jds-labs-c5-c5d-pg96-portable-amp-amp-dac-appreciation-discussion-thread/1065#post_9508984

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #2,092 of 3,417
Is there a good way to [approximately] volume-match DACs? It's hard for me to do a fair ODAC/O2 vs C5D comparison since I have to switch the USB cable, wait for the device to be recognised, and play music. I'm just playing a 1 kHz sine wave right now and trying to volume-match that after listening to it for a good minute to get it burned into my head.

Listening to 1 kHz sine waves isn't very fun...

Bah, anyway. From general listening sessions, I find the C5D to have better synergy with the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog than the ODAC/O2 combo despite the technical differences. Technically, the ODAC/O2 has a harder-hitting bass, much better-defined instruments, well-extended treble, and is revealing of the headphone's characteristic sound. The Alpha Dog seems to have a treble peak that makes hi-hats sound artificial, and the C5D reduces that sound. It's hard to make the call on which combo sounds better though since I really enjoy the overall spacious sound of the ODAC/O2, its well-defined instruments, and easy-to-follow bass; it sounds more transparent to me with the exception of revealing the Alpha Dog's treble peak. The C5D has better instrument layering, a slightly soft treble response, a slightly more forward midrange, and overall sounds more musical. I hate using that word on the other hand since it's so vague; with the C5D, the Alpha Dog just sounds more groovy and I'm able to get into the music more. The ODAC/O2 sounds more sterile in that the music is just there.

Their overall sound signatures are roughly the same though, so I guess it's a "pick your poison" kind of scenario. XD

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #2,094 of 3,417
^ I think the way you put it, if you want your source to be transparent go for O2/ODAC. Else, go for C5D.

I think it's not a problem on O2/Odac doesn't go along with Alpha Dogs. It just simply shows how apha dogs interpret the singnal from the source. It's good that C5D creates a good combination with Alpha Dogs. But it also tells the C5D is not transparent and somewhat colored and negates the peaks in Alpha Dogs? Maybe, using a different headphone will likely hightlight this.

My experience on C5D is mixed. Though I like the bass boost, the smooth treble as you descibe it resolves less details in the highs and compared to O2 has less bass impact, attributes I appreciate especially listening to rock/metal.

My C5D is seeing more time in storage lately than my O2 and Leckertons.

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #2,096 of 3,417
Quote:
Is there a good way to [approximately] volume-match DACs?

The output of a DAC is just a low level signal, there is no need to volume match.

Quote:
It's hard for me to do a fair ODAC/O2 vs C5D comparison since I have to switch the USB cable, wait for the device to be recognised, and play music. I'm just playing a 1 kHz sine wave right now and trying to volume-match that after listening to it for a good minute to get it burned into my head.

Can't you just plug both devices into your comp and use foobar to switch between devices?

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #2,097 of 3,417
So you don't recommend C5D for rock and metal?

Not necessarily, some people like the bass volume/amount which is provided by C5D's bass boost. It's a personal preference. I just love to hear details true to the source for all songs not just rock/metal and love the powerful slam/impact O2 produce on rocks songs over C5D.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #2,098 of 3,417
Loving the C5 with the AK100 MkII/1964Ears V3's, really choice combo. The amp is a fantastic piece of kit for the price (AUD$229), nicely pocketable w/the AK100, really allows your source/IEM's to shine. Good job JDS Labs
:beerchug:

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #2,099 of 3,417
Finally, after had trying no.3 Lighting to Usb CCK cable, my iPhone 5 works very fine with C5D so I think it was a fault of the cable.
I love this Dac/Amp with EDM music...great bass boost and more detailing mids/treble.
Thanks To Jds Labs and almost to John Seaber for the help in resolving this matter.

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #2,100 of 3,417
I just found out that after the 4.3 official update my note2 does not work with the c5d....

Any ideas?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back