JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Jan 30, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #2,071 of 3,417
Yeah, general consensus is that C5/C5D are better than E17 and other Fiio devices. Much prefer the C5D over the X3 as a headphone amp+DAC hooked up to a computer.

Also i almost exclusively use the line out of the X3 to the C5D as the headphone out is too warm for my tastes,

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #2,074 of 3,417
Oh thanks mice! Haha I guess I need to subscribe on you! waiting too many reviews from you with m100, ADs and now for this shure 215. If all this works with the C5D, I'll be crazy to get one of this ASAP! Source will be still my iPod 5.5g U2 edition..

BTW, does the CL means color less on the 215CL?

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #2,075 of 3,417
does anyone have HiFiMAN RE-600 and the C5D and could tell me how it sounds? no noise at all hopefully?
and well, quick comparison, using the C5D's DAC, against iPad 4th gen or iPhone 4S would be nice...  as I am familiar with how the RE-600 sound on those two. 
smile.gif

brighter/thinner/colder? fuller/richer/warmer? soundstage more 'defined'? anything on instrument separation?

thanks!

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #2,076 of 3,417
Oh thanks mice! Haha I guess I need to subscribe on you! waiting too many reviews from you with m100, ADs and now for this shure 215. If all this works with the C5D, I'll be crazy to get one of this ASAP! Source will be still my iPod 5.5g U2 edition..

Btw I use c5d with my ipod5g rockboxed. In general you won't find any problems with it! just go ahead :) 

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #2,077 of 3,417
does anyone have HiFiMAN RE-600 and the C5D and could tell me how it sounds? no noise at all hopefully?
and well, quick comparison, using the C5D's DAC, against iPad 4th gen or iPhone 4S would be nice...  as I am familiar with how the RE-600 sound on those two. :smile:
brighter/thinner/colder? fuller/richer/warmer? soundstage more 'defined'? anything on instrument separation?

thanks!

For one there will be no noise. I do not have the RE-600. But the C5D doesn't really have a sound signature as such. It just make everything cleaner and more detailed usually. With a slight soundstage boost. But then if you want to change the sound you have a bass boost.

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #2,078 of 3,417

I always thought CL meant "CLear," but then their black model is clear too. XD
Maybe it is "ColourLess."

Anyway, some brief impressions of the C5D vs ODAC/O2 with the SE215. The SE215 sounds much more spacious and open-sounding with the ODAC/O2, but with the C5D, the instruments are conveyed with more depth and layering in the soundstage. To me, the C5D also sounds smoother in the upper-midrange/treble transition too. Even though the ODAC/O2 sounds cleaner to me in that instruments are more clearly defined and separated with more detail, the C5D sounds a little more realistic to me.

Test tracks:
CD rip of this

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeifT-ZpQC4[/video]

24/88 purchase

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m4ZkEqQrn0[/video]

Wow, that's another +1 for the C5D over the ODAC/O2. o.0

I should mention that the SE215 is harder to volume-match for me since they are sensitive and the ODAC/O2 is too loud for me past the channel imbalance region even at 1.0x gain (yet another reason why to get the C5D).

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #2,079 of 3,417
I always thought CL meant "CLear," but then their black model is clear too. XD
Maybe it is "ColourLess."

Anyway, some brief impressions of the C5D vs ODAC/O2 with the SE215. The SE215 sounds much more spacious and open-sounding with the ODAC/O2, but with the C5D, the instruments are conveyed with more depth and layering in the soundstage. To me, the C5D also sounds smoother in the upper-midrange/treble transition too. Even though the ODAC/O2 sounds cleaner to me in that instruments are more clearly defined and separated, the C5D sounds a little more realistic to me.

Test tracks:
CD rip of this

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeifT-ZpQC4[/video]

24/88 purchase

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m4ZkEqQrn0[/video]

Wow, that's another +1 for the C5D over the ODAC/O2. o.0

I should mention that the SE215 is harder to volume-match for me since they are sensitive and the ODAC/O2 is too loud for me past the channel imbalance region even at 1.0x gain (yet another reason why to get the C5D).

Owkay then... Time to get up and search where can I get those C5D and throw my money on them like a boss! Hahaha

OT: do you have any idea how the se215 SE/LE sounds compare to the standard se215? And does the clear(for stage use) and black se215 sounds just the same? If you just had ideas..

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #2,080 of 3,417
Owkay then... Time to get up and search where can I get those C5D and throw my money on them like a boss! Hahaha

OT: do you have any idea how the se215 SE/LE sounds compare to the standard se215? And does the clear(for stage use) and black se215 sounds just the same? If you just had ideas..

The SE215 LE is the blue one right? I think Shure stated that it has an enhanced bass response.
The colourless and black models should sound the same though.

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #2,081 of 3,417
The SE215 LE is the blue one right? I think Shure stated that it has an enhanced bass response.
The colourless and black models should sound the same though.

Ahh do you think the C5D will still not be too booming when paired with the 215 SE and still perform well? Really thinking what to get, the SE or the standard..

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #2,082 of 3,417
Ahh do you think the C5D will still not be too booming when paired with the 215 SE and still perform well? Really thinking what to get, the SE or the standard..

If you use the C5 amp with bass boost off, there should be no booming with the Shure SE215LTD or any other IEM.  With the C5 bass boost turned on, you might experience some booming bass.

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #2,083 of 3,417
My review of the SE215 vs SE215 SPE:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643955/review-shure-se215-vs-se215-spe-blue

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #2,084 of 3,417
  If you use the C5 amp with bass boost off, there should be no booming with the Shure SE215LTD or any other IEM.  With the C5 bass boost turned on, you might experience some booming bass.

Great review mate! Maybe because i just prefer the clear one than the blue.. but then ill be getting the LTD one.. THANKS AGAIN!

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #2,085 of 3,417
For one there will be no noise. I do not have the RE-600. But the C5D doesn't really have a sound signature as such. It just make everything cleaner and more detailed usually. With a slight soundstage boost. But then if you want to change the sound you have a bass boost.

right, the no noise part sounds great 
biggrin.gif

soundstage boost sounds really nice. but I mean, I am just looking for tiny differences. clearer and cleaner and more detailed is a 'characteristic' compared to the iOS devices I believe. that's what I was hoping for. 
smile.gif

thanks! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back