JDS Labs ATOM Amp
Nov 14, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #513 of 641
Nov 14, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #514 of 641
The first review states:
" The JDS Labs Atom is a warm and thick sounding AMP, but it doesn't choke your music, nor does it make itself too forward. "

Has anyone else called this amp warm? Every other review has called it neutral or transparent.
Yeah, that confused me, I thought that the Atom along with the 789 were the 2 affordable choices for transparency when they came out.

Nov 14, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #515 of 641
The first review states:
" The JDS Labs Atom is a warm and thick sounding AMP, but it doesn't choke your music, nor does it make itself too forward. "

Has anyone else called this amp warm? Every other review has called it neutral or transparent.
My experience with my JDS Labs Atom is anything but warm. To me it's neutral and transparent. Maybe the reviewer is using a warm sounding headphone in the review that's why he said it sounds warm.

Nov 16, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #516 of 641
My experience with my JDS Labs Atom is anything but warm. To me it's neutral and transparent. Maybe the reviewer is using a warm sounding headphone in the review that's why he said it sounds warm.
Reading through the review again the headphones that are used are never explicitly stated. He said they can power an LCD-MX4 so maybe that's why he's calling it warm. I don't want to nitpick but but the review also states, "There's nothing that's quite like the Atom in terms of price and especially price / performance". Guess he's never heard of a magni or the liquid spark...

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #517 of 641
I think I know the answer to my question, but are people able to use their Atom amp with sensitive IEMs without any noise? My current amp has a low hum (from the power supply) at low volumes, and a hiss at higher volumes. My IEMs are Westone UM Pro 50 (45Ω, 117dB@1mW).

I'm thinking of asking for an Atom stack for X-Mas this year.

Thanks, all!

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #519 of 641
I think I know the answer to my question, but are people able to use their Atom amp with sensitive IEMs without any noise? My current amp has a low hum (from the power supply) at low volumes, and a hiss at higher volumes. My IEMs are Westone UM Pro 50 (45Ω, 117dB@1mW).

Thanks, all!

As much as I love my Atom, the Topping L30 has a -9db low gain option that is very helpful if you get into even more sensitive IEMs. The low gain on the Atom is 0db.

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #520 of 641
As much as I love my Atom, the Topping L30 has a -9db low gain option that is very helpful if you get into even more sensitive IEMs. The low gain on the Atom is 0db.
Thanks for that. Is the Atom too loud with IEMs?
I doubt that I'll be getting anymore IEMs anytime soon, and I stay away from the super low impedances as a rule.

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #523 of 641
Funny how they all perform similar at the top. What headphones do you use?

I have the LCD2C, AKG712, HD 6XX and Focal Elex, I find that whilst I understand that the THX 789 is definitely powerful and quite possibly my last upgrade in terms of amps, if i don't choose to go to tubes, I still find very little difference when comparing the two listening wise. Plus I haven't gotten much time to sit down and listen due to work and study, so I kinda regret upgrading tbh, as the Atom did a fine job.

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #524 of 641
I have the LCD2C, AKG712, HD 6XX and Focal Elex, I find that whilst I understand that the THX 789 is definitely powerful and quite possibly my last upgrade in terms of amps, if i don't choose to go to tubes, I still find very little difference when comparing the two listening wise. Plus I haven't gotten much time to sit down and listen due to work and study, so I kinda regret upgrading tbh, as the Atom did a fine job.
You mention tubes. You can set up a tube with that amp on the second input and toggle back and forth with inputs. How do you like the Elex? I ordered them from drop but read that they had build issues and cancelled.

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #525 of 641

Thanks, all!

Not sure how useful this is since their specs seem a bit less sensitive than the Westones, but my Moondrop Starfields had zero audible noise at any volume level with Atom + SDAC. I was actually kind of shocked because even the Audioquest Dragonfly brings in some noise, Atom has been dead quiet with anything I throw at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back