JDS Labs ATOM Amp
Apr 21, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #422 of 641
I also wrote an in-depth review about the Atom :)

Comparisons with K5PRO, Soundkey, Burson Play, and Periodic Audio Nickel included

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2020/04/jds-labs-atom-headphone-amplifier-sound-science.html

JDS-Labs-Atom-Amplifier-Mini-Sized-Headphone-AMP-In-Depth-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-07.jpg

Apr 22, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #424 of 641
Thank you for the review!
You cannot use an external power supply for the Atom simply.
It has an external transformer only.
The linear voltage rectifier circuit is on board in the Atom itself.

Woah, that is really good to know, I actually didn't know that.

Interesting that the power brick ended up being this large / heavy

Apr 22, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #425 of 641
Hello, someone tried the atom with akg k712 or k612 ?
Listening right now to the Massdrop K7XX and sounds very good combo to me. On low gain between 9 and 10 o'clock on the knob. Chaka Khan 45rpm --> modified Heyday --> Schiit Mani --> Atom = great dynamics, good tone, head bobbin. Small pop when the player stops and starts but nothing much. I have to almost Max out the volume on low gain to get static. which would probably hurt my ears. Anything in listening level is clean to me.

Apr 22, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #426 of 641
Good to hear. I have just ordered an Heed canamp used for 115 € because i read he worked very well with akg cans. However it is a "old guard" and i am scared the new 100$ amps are better, so now i am curios to compare it with the atom. In my experience Akg are hard to drive and the sound change a lot with the right amplifier. So now if the little atom is enaugh for only 99$ it would be very nice.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #427 of 641
Good to hear. I have just ordered an Heed canamp used for 115 € because i read he worked very well with akg cans. However it is a "old guard" and i am scared the new 100$ amps are better, so now i am curios to compare it with the atom. In my experience Akg are hard to drive and the sound change a lot with the right amplifier. So now if the little atom is enaugh for only 99$ it would be very nice.
I've been very pleased with my ~$100 USD headphone amplifiers. If I ignore the oversized external transformers, I suspect one would be very pleased with the results from such models offered by Schiit Audio (there's a European distributor & repair depot), JDS Labs, or Mayflower Electronics. (links provided).

May 13, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #428 of 641
I bought the Atom to use mainly as a pre-amp for my powered PC speakers that has the volume control on the back. It's replacing a broken Audio-GD C-2 headphone amp/pre-amp. I briefly tested out the headphone amp. It has plenty of power for the price. No problems powering my HD800. The sound is detailed but a bit too bright, neutral, analytical or whatever term you choose to use for my liking. This is also true with Sony XBA-3 IEM and Denon AH-D600. Maybe warmer sounding headphone would be better suited for this amp. M-DAC is the source. My current headphone amp cost 12x more so can't really compare the two.

May 13, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #429 of 641
The FR measures as ruler flat. I suppose if you are used to a warmer sounding amp neutral would sound "bright". I find the bass to be well detailed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back