JDS Labs ATOM Amp
Dec 14, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #406 of 641
I feel you. It's the exact same reason I'm considering the SP200 as well since us Europeans can get it for around 265€ on Amazon.

Also keep in mind that JDS charges around 35$ for shipping and it could take forever if the customs get a hold of it.
Would maybe be safer to go the EU route in the first place since it's not that much more expensive considering shipping and possibly added VAT.
Thanks for pointing me towards the Sp200, this seems a very good unit to get as well, albeit twice the price of the atom. I've subscribed to it's discussion topic, and put in on my bucket-list :wink:

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #407 of 641
Schiit recently released the Magni Heresy that measures more accurate on many metrics than the Atom: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...gni-3-and-heresy-headphone-amp-reviews.10311/ I like my Atom, but I would not pay significantly more for it over the Heresy. Might see what it costs you.
They're the same price. Im very happy with my Atom and love the form factor. I have to wonder if your ear could even discern any sonic difference. I suppose if I didn't already have an Amp it would be a good option, but I can't see it as an upgrade. It's a viable option though.

Dec 14, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #409 of 641
They're the same price. Im very happy with my Atom and love the form factor. I have to wonder if your ear could even discern any sonic difference. I suppose if I didn't already have an Amp it would be a good option, but I can't see it as an upgrade. It's a viable option though.

This reviewer at headphones.com could not tell the difference:

"I could not audibly discriminate between the Magni Heresy, Atom or Archel 2 Pro at all."
https://www.headphones.com/blogs/ne...-heresy-headphone-amplifier-review-comparison

Dec 15, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #411 of 641
Dec 15, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #414 of 641
Yes, but the topping D50 / D50s sounds amazing and stacks beautifully with Atom. When I bought my Atom I also bought the short stack cables and the problem with them is that the straight RCA connectors cause them to stick out so far that I can't get my stack close to the wall against which my desk abutts. I had to buy 4 RCA right angle adapters. These cables should come with them.

I can't justify spending significantly more on a DAC than the headphones or amp I have, especially when JDS Atom, Liquid Spark, and Magni + show the technical capability that can be achieved for $100.

Dec 16, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #415 of 641
I can't justify spending significantly more on a DAC than the headphones or amp I have, especially when JDS Atom, Liquid Spark, and Magni + show the technical capability that can be achieved for $100.

@gooeyrich,

Lexicon Alpha is a good affordable audio interface, much better in lieu of a straight DAC.

Just my 2 cents...

Hope you have a great day !

Feb 7, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #416 of 641
im using the ztella mqa dac (a type-c cable dac) on my pc, paired with atom, and my TEAC UD-301 gets shut off ><

Apr 20, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #420 of 641
I use my Atom with AKG K702s and I think the sound is better than my magni 3. Granted it had hum that creeped in and noise and what sounded like a glare in the upper mid treble. Probably distortion. The Atom is great. Fed by Topping D30.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back