JDS Labs ATOM Amp
Nov 19, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #391 of 641
I run a Topping D50s into the Atom. The D50(s) can operate as preamp and it provides USB coax and optical inputs. I too only use the Atom as headphone Amp but this might work for you and the D50 is a stellar DAC. Actually have 2 of them, one of which is at the the center of my living room AV setup feeding into a B&O System
After I heard the Atom I don't think I need another headphone amp at all, frankly. It is just great. JDS labs should remove the cheap good for nothing preamp from the new iteration of the Atom and to add normal good quality metal volume knob instead. I did buy a great volume knob for it and now I am happy but they should have thought about it, not me.

Nov 23, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #392 of 641
Quick question. Would you recommend putting the Topping D10 on top of or under the Atom? The Atom doesn't kick out much heat and putting it on top is kind of... ugly.

Also are there any guides on replacing the volume knob? As great as the Atom sounds I just can't get behind that plastic bottle top!

Nov 24, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #394 of 641
Yes, but the topping D50 / D50s sounds amazing and stacks beautifully with Atom. When I bought my Atom I also bought the short stack cables and the problem with them is that the straight RCA connectors cause them to stick out so far that I can't get my stack close to the wall against which my desk abutts. I had to buy 4 RCA right angle adapters. These cables should come with them.

Nov 25, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #395 of 641
Maybe they can sell both straight or right angle. The straight worked for me but i understand what you said about putting them by the wall.

On another note I decided to keep my atom. The lack of bass was/is an issue with my speaker amp. It has problems supplying enough power to my speakers now. Time for a new power amp. :wink:

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #396 of 641
Listening to these with my Focal Elex. Initial thoughts when comparing to the Magni 3:

-Things sound a tad tighter. Sounds that normally decay slower are just a tiny bit quicker.
-Huge soundstage improvement, especially in 'depth'. On the Magni, music sounds like it's all presented as a single wall. The Atom separates instruments much better.
-Somewhat more natural presentation and timbre.
-Perhaps somewhat less 'lively'. Not sure how to describe this more precisely. The Magni 3 feels like it has a somewhat more lively and immediately 'gripping' sound, perhaps because of its more intimate presentation.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #397 of 641
Just wanted to contribute a little here:

Got my Atom, tried it out of my Hugo 2 going into HD6XX. HOLY SMOKES! Out of just the Hugo 2, the HD6XX sounds bass-bloated and muddy - out of the Atom, it's amazingly balanced across the spectrum, I'd never heard it like this before! Quite happy with my purchase.

Dec 13, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #398 of 641
Yeah, its an amazing device and an incredible value. I've got mine hooked up to a Topping D50s and the sound is mind blowing. Like you said and its deep, clear, refined, detailed and precise. Its made every can and IEM come alive.

Dec 13, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #399 of 641
Yeah, its an amazing device and an incredible value. I've got mine hooked up to a Topping D50s and the sound is mind blowing. Like you said and its deep, clear, refined, detailed and precise. Its made every can and IEM come alive.

Yep. Me, too. Atom and D50S. Sounds great and stacks together nicely, too :dt880smile:

Dec 14, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #404 of 641
Thanks for the suggestion, although I find the price they ask rather steep. Might try to order directly with JDS labs, and hope customs doesn't notice

I feel you. It's the exact same reason I'm considering the SP200 as well since us Europeans can get it for around 265€ on Amazon.

Also keep in mind that JDS charges around 35$ for shipping and it could take forever if the customs get a hold of it.
Would maybe be safer to go the EU route in the first place since it's not that much more expensive considering shipping and possibly added VAT.

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #405 of 641

Users who are viewing this thread

Back