JDS Labs ATOM Amp
Apr 4, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #212 of 641
I got a Modi3/Loki/Magni3 stack just two weeks ago based on all the raves over all over the web, including here. It's my first desktop rig and I am simply blown away -- Love from the first note! BUT THEN while blissfully listening to my new rig (with my 600's) I was doing some recreational internetting and discovered two things:

1. some reports of QC issues with the Magni, including the volume knob (mine does crackle a little when adjusting), and even a couple units that went up in smoke!

2. the existence of the Atom

So I immediately ordered an Atom and submitted an RA request for my Magni. It's not that I'm definitely planning to send the Magni back by any means, but I am interested in doing to do a side by side shootout. So I had to get the RA request within the 15 window.

And I don't want to be responsible for spreading unfair or bad info about Schiit QC. I am confident that the bad Magni units were very few and far between, and that Schiit would absolutely do the right thing if there were indeed any problems.

Also I have no plans at all on sending back the Modi or the Loki -- oh no, they're stayin! And they're gonna look just as effin sweet atop the Atom if I end up going that route.

But I do have one question about the Atom re: heat. Does it get warm like the Magni? I have my Magni on the top spot of the stack now for heat venting, but I would prefer to put the Atom on the bottom due to its larger depth. Anyone think this would be a problem?

Apr 4, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #213 of 641
I have a Topping D50 DAC stacked on top of my Atom and the top of the Atom only gets to like 85 F. Should be even cooler without a DAC on top.

Apr 7, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #214 of 641
Just ordered this. Planning to run it from ly laptop into Aune T1 then out into the Atom before powering either my Billie Jeans/ Sennheiser HD660s. Hopefully they will sound good together :D

Apr 9, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #215 of 641
Rp1a14q.jpg

purty good combo :D

Apr 9, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #216 of 641
lol. That's the way they're recorded. Also you have your left and right mixed up.

I always enjoy adjusting the balance to the quiet channel only for a hi-res listen to David Glimour hocking up a massive loogie. With the right DAC and pair of cans you can really get the full majesty of him spitting that lung oyster out before emitting a long sigh and starting his solo [WARNING: turn volume way down before solo starts]...

Apr 11, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #217 of 641
I have a Topping D50 DAC stacked on top of my Atom and the top of the Atom only gets to like 85 F. Should be even cooler without a DAC on top.

Great, thanks.

As for my Magni 3 / Atom shootout, I have indeed decided to send back the Magni. There is a slight difference I hear in the high end, which is always the easiest aspect for me to hear when comparing things. The Magni is definitely a bit brighter. I would have been tempted to call the Atom warm or smooth if not for the dead flat frequency response plot by Audio Science Review. So I guess that means the Magni is indeed a bit bright, as some of its detractors say, but I'll never agree with those who further to say it's harsh - no way. Anyway, that's the main reason I'm sticking with the Atom: reference freq response. All else I'd call a tie in my informal listening tests, which were done with my Senn 600's.

I'll admit I found the extra brightness of the Magni exciting, especially considering the well-known slightly warm/smooth high end of the 600's (relative to reference). But I also have the Loki Eq, so I can boost my high end a bit and achieve nearly the same sound whenever I want. Plus, I plan to some day upgrade to the Focal Clear, which I understand to have more high end than the 600's and therefore expect to be a great match with the Atom.

As for power, the Atom had plenty. The 600's had every bit of the extra oomph that I got with the Magni (both amps being a noticeable improvement over my JDS C5 portable). I never have to use the High Gain setting, and I even keep the volume knob at 50% or less for nearly all my recordings.

So anyone want to try to change my mind before I pack up the Magni?

Apr 21, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #220 of 641
Hello, is the any sense to upgrade from O2 to Atom?
I see that all measurements are better and it has more power but I use the O2 mainly with IEM so do not really need 1 Watt.
Any thoughts? Thank you.

Apr 21, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #223 of 641
Hello, is the any sense to upgrade from O2 to Atom?
I see that all measurements are better and it has more power but I use the O2 mainly with IEM so do not really need 1 Watt.
Any thoughts? Thank you.

I have had an O2 from JDS since 2013 and I find it audibly transparent. Although the Atom has better specs, I'm not sure it makes an audible difference. So, unless you have an opportunity to compare the two I suggest keeping the O2.

Apr 23, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #225 of 641
There's not nearly enough chatter about this wonderful little amp.
Glad you think so! Here then is a question which, so far as I know, nobody seems to have provided a definitive answer for, as yet.

Could one drive this Atom amp in conjunction with a Sabaj DA3 decoding amp or would the 'amp factor' in both units lead to more distortion than not? The Sabaj doesn't really have enough 'oomph' for me (yes I am a volume nut) but it would be wonderful to combine its clarity with more gain somehow ...

Anyone know the best way, or with what combining unit, I might do this ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back