JDS Labs ATOM Amp
Mar 26, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #197 of 641
I ordered mine on March 7th and I'm in the same boat as you. I got the update email on the 14th and figured they could receive another shipment of knobs in 2-3 days and resume shipping. Guess I was wrong.

I'm in the same boat. Just got an update from JDS, saying that the backlogged amps will start shipping up by this Thursday but may take up to a week to ship everything out due to the huge backlog.
Not a happy camper but at least they have been forward about it and not give lame excuses only after getting chased.

Well, the atom has more power!

I am, but maybe I wrong? Idk. Saw on ASR if I remember correctly.

You were not wrong.

Based on the manufacturers specs, the Magni 3 has far more power. But based on ASR tests, this doesn't really play out. Its 250mW for the Atom versus the 330mW for the Magni 3 at 300 Ohm load.
Schiit claims "Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 430mW RMS per channel" whereas JDS claims 125mW at 600 Ohms and 500mW at 150 Ohms, which interpolates to approximately 250mW at 300 Ohms.

index.php

Its 1.1W for the Atom versus 1.7W for the Magni 3 at clipping but note the noise and distortion.

Schiit claims ""Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2W RMS per channel" whereas JDS claims: Maximum output 1W at 32 Ohms

index.php

Full testing graph for the Magni 3 till clipping:

index.php

index.php

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #198 of 641
Good news for those of us who had our shipments delayed--- Just got an email that they're resuming shipping tomorrow!

Edit: The post above me mentioned this first, though for some reason it didn't show up for me until after I submitted this. Sorry about that, guys! This post can be deleted.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #199 of 641
I bought this for my HD 6XX and I have to say I'm very underwhelmed. I have to crank it all the way up on high gain to get it sufficiently loud. Its essentially a side grade from my old Magni 1 amp. Is there possibly something wrong with my unit?

Mar 31, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #200 of 641
I bought this for my HD 6XX and I have to say I'm very underwhelmed. I have to crank it all the way up on high gain to get it sufficiently loud. Its essentially a side grade from my old Magni 1 amp. Is there possibly something wrong with my unit?

Also running a 6XX here. Comfortable listening level for me, running through my PC and then my Modi Multibit (and then Atom) is about 30% on low gain.

Mar 31, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #201 of 641

I have a harder headphone to drive than the HD 6XX (ZMF Eikon) and the Atom drives it fine with power to spare on low gain.

Eikon: 300 Ohms, Sensitivity: 98 dB/mW
HD 6XX: 300 Ohms, Sensitivity: 103 dB/mW

The HD 6XX needs about 15 mW to reach 115 dB and the Atom can put about 250 mW into 300 Ohms.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #204 of 641
Tried it with my iPad as a source and its much louder. Guess somethings wrong with my Soundblaster Z?

Why are you going through a Soundblaster Z? Myself, I'm going from my motherboard to my DAC via USB, and then to the amp via RCA from there. If you're using the 3.5mm from the Soundblaster Z, then your computer is still doing the processing of the sound, so you could have the mixer turned down or any number of other things.

Mar 31, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #205 of 641
Why are you going through a Soundblaster Z? Myself, I'm going from my motherboard to my DAC via USB, and then to the amp via RCA from there. If you're using the 3.5mm from the Soundblaster Z, then your computer is still doing the processing of the sound, so you could have the mixer turned down or any number of other things.
Soundblaster Z is being used as my DAC. The SBZ Control Panel is at 100%

Mar 31, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #207 of 641
I love my Atom and the plastic it's built from is good quality, but I'd happily pay $150-200 for Atom sound in Magni or Liquid Spark housing.

Oh yeah, this thing definitely punches way above its weight. Heck, it could still be plastic, but having a knob with some feeling to it (like some "clicks") and some more weight in the amp would do it wonders for perceived quality.

Mar 31, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #208 of 641
Oh yeah, this thing definitely punches way above its weight. Heck, it could still be plastic, but having a knob with some feeling to it (like some "clicks") and some more weight in the amp would do it wonders for perceived quality.

... and make it sound better to most people here.

Mar 31, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #210 of 641

Users who are viewing this thread

Back