JDS Labs ATOM Amp
Apr 17, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #572 of 641
I have read somewhere that the Atom can be defective too. :)
I would gladly deal with JDS Labs should there be any problems. Having dealt with Topping, I know first hand that they are horrible and don't care about defective horrible designs and they don't care about me the customer being sold garbage that burned up and destroyed my headphones.
Also, you cannot communicate with anyone from Topping directly. They hide behind a person on another forum. He said that I did not contact him directly about my headphones being burnt up from the Topping amplifier. But he specifically said not to contact him in the forum and just deal with the sellers. So, what is a customer left to do? They have this sly little non-communication trick that I cannot get beyond.
Did you know that you cannot even remove the knob on many Topping amplifiers because it damages the potentiometer? They use crappy cheap potentiometers that will separate from the circuit board if you try to pull the knob off. So they are basically disposable throw away amplifiers once you try to take off the knob. I can take the knob off and on all day on my JDS Labs Atom amplifier and it will function just fine.

Apr 18, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #574 of 641
Is it best to run the atom on high gain or low gain?
The JDS Labs Atom amplifier high gain switch position increases the volume level for listening to quiet headphones. The low gain switch position lowers the volume level for listening to loud headphones. Adjust the volume knob so that you are able to listen to your system with the volume knob out of the lowest volume positions to avoid the misbalance of left and right that is common on the lower settings of potentiometers. Both high and low gain on this amplifier produce the same sound signature apart from the volume change. With some amplifiers, switching the gain actually creates a drastic change in sound, such as on Schiit amplifiers. But not on this JDS Labs Atom amplifier.

Apr 18, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #575 of 641
The JDS Labs Atom amplifier high gain switch position increases the volume level for listening to quiet headphones. The low gain switch position lowers the volume level for listening to loud headphones. Adjust the volume knob so that you are able to listen to your system with the volume knob out of the lowest volume positions to avoid the misbalance of left and right that is common on the lower settings of potentiometers. Both high and low gain on this amplifier produce the same sound signature apart from the volume change. With some amplifiers, switching the gain actually creates a drastic change in sound, such as on Schiit amplifiers. But not on this JDS Labs Atom amplifier.
Nice explanation. I'll just add to that, the Gain Setting changes the amount of current flowing out of the Jack which is why it doesnt change the sound signature. I only have have IEMs and few of them are pretty demanding (planars) in terms of the current they require to release their full potential. I dont have a single IEM that requires me to use high gain on the Atom. In fact high gain is simply way too much for the iems in my collection unless I dial the volume knob right down to almost 0. On both my daps, by contrast, I run everything in high gain with all my IEMs. Hope that helps a little.

Apr 18, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #576 of 641
I´m very happy with JDS, I just e-mailed, they sort it out really really fast, sent new parts at no cost, at the end of the warranty, and from USA to Europe. Not sure if all american companies would do this, some yes, some not. But with the chinese cheap brands is different indeed. Sennheiser for example also fixed my headphone under warranty, waiting for that to get it back too. I would certainly recommend the JDS labs atom amp for anybody, but everyone knows it's THE 100$ amp to get. I miss it a lot. Sounds very clean, and still it gives something to the sound that I do not get now that I have speakers connected directly to the dac, and bluetooth dongle versus cable... Would buy the matching DAC, ot the JDS Element, for anybody that has desk space, that huge knob, it's like a dream. Mine unfortunately has to sit right under the desk, so not working there.

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #577 of 641
Is it best to run the atom on high gain or low gain?
I am pretty sure that they reccomend low gain while being used as a pre-amp (RCA outs)

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #578 of 641
I am pretty sure that they reccomend low gain while being used as a pre-amp (RCA outs)
I would like to add that the preamp output is VERY clean/neutral on the JDS Labs Atom headphone amplifier. My favorite $100 headphone amp the Monolith Liquid Spark is overly colored (dark), so it does not work well as a preamp. Plus, the JDS Labs Atom headphone amplifier has that second switchable input. Very handy and unexpected for someone setting up a preamp system in a budget price range.

Apr 21, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #579 of 641
how do you like it compared to A90? i bet it is same quality really, in single ended.

I think the Topping adds a bit more soundstage and separation, but other than that the difference is minimal from the single ended output. The Atom really punches well above it's price point imo

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #582 of 641
I'm interested in upgrading my atom amp with a SCHIIT MAGNI HERESY. The only reason I want to do that is on paper (according to ASR measurement), HERESY has 2w output at 33 ohm while atom amp has a 1w output, and HERESY has a metal body instead of plastic one (better electromagnetic shielding perhaps?). Has anyone done a A/B testing on those 2 budget amp for objectivists?

Apr 28, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #584 of 641
I'm interested in upgrading my atom amp with a SCHIIT MAGNI HERESY. The only reason I want to do that is on paper (according to ASR measurement), HERESY has 2w output at 33 ohm while atom amp has a 1w output, and HERESY has a metal body instead of plastic one (better electromagnetic shielding perhaps?). Has anyone done a A/B testing on those 2 budget amp for objectivists?
The Heresy may be able to do 2W, but that will only get you about +3dB over the Atom. That's all it will give you. Remember, every +3dB of volume requires 2x the power.
Also, I can't imagine what headphone would ever need even remotely close to 2W, unless it is extremely, extremely low sensitivity. 2,000mW will push a headphone rated at 87dB @1mW to 120dB, which will cause you to go deaf within seconds.

I won't argue with the metal casing, though. The Atom is disappointingly cheap feeling.

Apr 28, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #585 of 641
Those two amps are on the same category, but both nothing more than 100$ amps, also, Atom sounds better, so more like a downgrade really. Schiit more powerful, if you really need that, and yes it is metalic case, not plastic. Atom has extra analog input. I would either keep the atom or upgrade to something actually nicer, like the asgard, or the magnius, or jot2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back