JDS Labs ATOM Amp
Feb 21, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #556 of 641
I was suggesting that maybe you have faulty RCA cables. You must connect the Atom DAC to the Atom AMP somehow, I'm assuming you're using RCA Cables to do that.

Anyway, let's see if we can help you figure it out. What is your audio chain? I'll describe mine so you know exactly what I mean.

PC > JRiver Media Center > Topping D50s DAC vis USB > Atom AMP via RCA
Ive got the output from Jriver to Topping DAC set to WASAPI drivers

1. What is your source that feeds your DAC(s)
  2. What driver output setting do you have that source set to
  3. How do you connect your source to your DAC?
  4. How do you connect your DAC to your AMP?
Let's start with this and see what we come up with
Thought it might be simplest to supply photo of the hindquarters of my stack. You can see i hope that i use just the stock connectors which came with the units.

My source is either Tidal.or Spotty from a laptop with the XMOS drivers installed via JDS' own website.

How would the RCAs be faulty? In what way and how would one know?

Attachments

• 20210220_164438_HDR.jpg
    20210220_164438_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Mar 27, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #559 of 641
hello people, my jds atom stopped working today in one channel. It is 14 months old almost. I diagnosed all the system, it was the preamp. it has been strange for a few months now, it gave like an audio spark to one of the speakers sometimes, seemed like I had static electricity on my finger. I put an aluminium knob. sometimes when I touched the knob, it gave this spark loud noise to one of the speakers. it seemed like I had electricity on me, because not always happened, it seemed like, once i discharged tat energy on the atom, it didn't happened again, until my body got charged of static electricity, dealing with another computer, or charger or touching the subwoofer, which has no ground connection... power supply also looks damaged on the electrical plug connector...

If any one knows a source in europe, or aliexpress amazon ebay, for a compatible power supply, please let me know. Or some kind of universal or adjustable power supply. Or maybe I can just throw it all to the trash...

Mar 29, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #560 of 641
If any one knows a source in europe, or aliexpress amazon ebay, for a compatible power supply, please let me know. Or some kind of universal or adjustable power supply. Or maybe I can just throw it all to the trash...

Power supply is only a transformer in case. You can check its voltage with a multimeter and change the plug to a right one.

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #561 of 641
I found one on amazon for just 12,5€ shipped. Hope that was the issue with my atom. Didn't want to use the warranty or try to, yet, since I am in Europe, gonna be slow and costly due to shippings. the amazon one is the exact same.

Mar 31, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #562 of 641
new power supply, same problem, just blew one side of an iem, same as with the old PSU... 14 months old amp...

Apr 1, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #564 of 641
Because I thought I could just solve the problem easier and faster and have it running sooner. But I contacted them and they replied inmediately, really really fast and they will find a solution. the amazon PSU has the connector too chort, doesnt work properly. And yes, problem is the board not the psu...

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #565 of 641
They will ship me a new board and a new power supply to here in Europe. Solved very fast and I am happy that I bought from JDS in USA even though I had to pay custom duties and more expensive shipping, it sounded so good for such a low cost device. Would have been more difficult with other companies from other locations. Both as speakers pre-amp and headphone amp, great device.

Apr 4, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #566 of 641
-snip- it has been strange for a few months now, it gave like an audio spark to one of the speakers sometimes, seemed like I had static electricity on my finger. I put an aluminium knob. sometimes when I touched the knob, it gave this spark loud noise to one of the speakers. it seemed like I had electricity on me, because not always happened, it seemed like, once i discharged tat energy on the atom, it didn't happened again, until my body got charged of static electricity, dealing with another computer, or charger or touching the subwoofer, which has no ground connection... power supply also looks damaged on the electrical plug connector...
Electrostatic discharge is likely killing your amplifiers due to the aluminum knob that conducts electricity easily. I would go back to the plastic knob once you get it repaired.
That Atom amp is a great amp for the money, especially having the second input. And, JDS Labs is a VERY GOOD company. When I emailed them in the past, they got right back to me.

Apr 16, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #567 of 641
I don't think so, it never gave a problem before, started recently, and I own it for almost a year. I think it is more related to the subwoofer having no ground connection, and being connected to this amp directly via rca cables.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #569 of 641
how do you like it compared to A90? i bet it is same quality really, in single ended.

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #570 of 641
how do you like it compared to A90? i bet it is same quality really, in single ended.
I bought two JDS Labs Atoms. They are quality amplifiers designed and built by a quality American company.
Topping is garbage. People think they are saving money going with Topping. However, wait ten years down the road to see what percentage of the Topping electronics still work compared to other brands. Topping products are built poorly, designed cheaply. I will never buy any more Topping products ever again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back