JDS Labs ATOM Amp
Feb 3, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #136 of 641
That is a coincidence because I live close to an airport, and there is this radar ping that some products are more susceptible to. I have had issues with product issues in metal enclosures (Schiit Mani) but most were ok. I don’t think metal shielding is sufficient on its own. If a product is well designed and has proper rfi filtering, it should be ok. Sounds to me like the Atom has no issues with rfi, otherwise it would be all over the forums.
Hah!

Go figure, I tested the JDS Labs THE Element in that apartment and I had no issues, the Metal Encased Element didn't have any issues when I lived right near a Radio Station so I imagine the Plastic Enclosed Atom should like wise work well even in an area with more RF than normal

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #139 of 641
Could this drive the Aeon's?
i have the aeon flow open and this amp is excellent. Its much better than the magni 3. With low gain there is practically no noise at all its the best $99 on an amp you can spend. Build quality however is another thing, the atom is plastic and the knobs feels cheap, that is the only drawback i guess.

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #140 of 641
This amp is just wonderful, best one out of all I had here and all of them were much pricier.
Inspirated by ASR forum I ordered one directly from Jds to be sent to EU.
So as there is no need for more power and a balanced output this amp does not leave anything more to be desired. The performance is simply fantastic!
It seems even regardless of the higher price here in Europe the Atom is one of the most remarkable amps around. A stunning little beast :) ... in just a poor plastic suit.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #142 of 641
Thanks for your reply! I ended up getting the Element becuase it looked cool and didn't want a stack of stuff on my desk. :L3000:

Feb 22, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #143 of 641
helloo... I have a Sabaj DA3 which,as it turns out, I find myself not listening to much at all! I always end up plugged instead into my Topping NX!s! The quality of the recordings that I listen to (mostly via Spotify Premium) just reveals waaay too many shortcomings intrinsic to the recordings themselves and the somewhat 'clinical', even 'thin' sound of the Sabaj so often only seems to make these even more distressing. Wheres the little Topping just seems to make the best of all of 'em, somehow, especially with its ample, and undistorting volume reserve that the DA3 just does not possess. I use the best 'Chi-Fi' IEMs I can afford almost exclusively now (as the Chinese over-ears I bought - nearly all of 'em, proved unlistenable to me - you just cannot get anything like undistorted sound with those at high, emotionally-stirring volume levels, my favourite spot!).

And so... my question is! WILL I increase the pleasure I get through my NX!s by getting a JDS Atom Amp or a Monoprice Liquid Spark? Or will that take me in the Sabaj DA3 direction again? Should I get a bigger ass Topping instead? And if so, which one?

Thanking you all very much for hearing me out! I'd reeeally like to make an intelligent decison on this, naturellement...

Feb 27, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #144 of 641
Just got one of these to replace my broken Magni 3. Hooked everything up and plugged in my LCD 2Cs and was treated to the worst sound I've ever heard come out of a pair of headphones. I lasted about 15 minutes and had to turn it off.

Came back a few hours later and noticed I had the Loki EQ turned off the whole time. Sounds great now LOL.

Feb 27, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #145 of 641
Just got one of these to replace my broken Magni 3. Hooked everything up and plugged in my LCD 2Cs and was treated to the worst sound I've ever heard come out of a pair of headphones. I lasted about 15 minutes and had to turn it off.

Came back a few hours later and noticed I had the Loki EQ turned off the whole time. Sounds great now LOL.
if you think your lcd2c sounds that bad without eq then probably it just isn't the sound signature you prefer and you should sell it lol

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #147 of 641
helloo... I have a Sabaj DA3 which,as it turns out, I find myself not listening to much at all! I always end up plugged instead into my Topping NX!s! The quality of the recordings that I listen to (mostly via Spotify Premium) just reveals waaay too many shortcomings intrinsic to the recordings themselves and the somewhat 'clinical', even 'thin' sound of the Sabaj so often only seems to make these even more distressing. Wheres the little Topping just seems to make the best of all of 'em, somehow, especially with its ample, and undistorting volume reserve that the DA3 just does not possess. I use the best 'Chi-Fi' IEMs I can afford almost exclusively now (as the Chinese over-ears I bought - nearly all of 'em, proved unlistenable to me - you just cannot get anything like undistorted sound with those at high, emotionally-stirring volume levels, my favourite spot!).

And so... my question is! WILL I increase the pleasure I get through my NX!s by getting a JDS Atom Amp or a Monoprice Liquid Spark? Or will that take me in the Sabaj DA3 direction again? Should I get a bigger ass Topping instead? And if so, which one?

Thanking you all very much for hearing me out! I'd reeeally like to make an intelligent decison on this, naturellement...
Liquid spark is more laid back and gives you a warm fuzzy feeling when listening to music, jds atom will blow you away with detail and maybe cause treble murder to your ears depending on the cans used with them. For iems I like the liquid spark more. For normal over ears I think the atom wins. My roommate loves his treble so he loves the atom. I'm not a fan of super bright sounding signatures for normal listening and the atom ever so slightly breaks past that line once in awhile for me.

Feb 27, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #148 of 641
Liquid spark is more laid back and gives you a warm fuzzy feeling when listening to music, jds atom will blow you away with detail and maybe cause treble murder to your ears depending on the cans used with them. For iems I like the liquid spark more. For normal over ears I think the atom wins. My roommate loves his treble so he loves the atom. I'm not a fan of super bright sounding signatures for normal listening and the atom ever so slightly breaks past that line once in awhile for me.

Thanks for this response! But am I correct in assuming tho, that you haven't actually heard a Sabaj DA3 to compare ? To understand what I'm trying to avoid if I can by getting either of these amps?

Feb 27, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #149 of 641
Thanks for this response! But am I correct in assuming tho, that you haven't actually heard a Sabaj DA3 to compare ? To understand what I'm trying to avoid if I can by getting either of these amps?
Well that uses a sabre dac and the newer sabre in my dac still sounds bright when compared to the akm in my fiio q5 so I kinda know(maybe?). The atom doesn't sound nearly as bright on the q5 vs the smsl su-8 I mostly listen to which is my desktop setup. Idk if that helps at all.

Feb 28, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #150 of 641
Atom doesn't add much coloration to the DA3, that is the great thing about it. If you are using iems or easy to drive headphones, DA3 is sufficient (I love its balanced out btw). If you add Atom to the chain, you will just get more power, thus more volume and control to your drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back