Jays q-JAYS & s-JAYS, Prototype impressions
Aug 15, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #512 of 523
Here are some quick q-JAYS 1st gen vs. 2nd gen. measurement over my homemade rig. Accuracy no guaranteed, but it should give you a rough idea.

q-JAYS%20FR.jpg

q-JAYS%201%20Imp.jpg

q-JAYS%202%20Imp.jpg

The first impression is quite positive. It is definitely an upgrade over the first gen. Both share a similar tone, but the 2nd gen is more balanced with better upper detail (as you can see from the FR curve). Build quality is superb as well. While the price tag might seem a bit high consider you can get a hybrid 3 drivers for around the same price range these days, I don't feel that the SQ is lacking in anyway. Overall a job well done on JAYS' part. A full review will come later.

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #514 of 523
  The first impression is quite positive. It is definitely an upgrade over the first gen. Both share a similar tone, but the 2nd gen is more balanced with better upper detail (as you can see from the FR curve). Build quality is superb as well. While the price tag might seem a bit high consider you can get a hybrid 3 drivers for around the same price range these days, I don't feel that the SQ is lacking in anyway. Overall a job well done on JAYS' part. A full review will come later.

It seems smoother in the treble over the previous generation, despite the increased bandwidth. I'm most impressed by the build quality of the housings, plus the packaging. They put a lot of thought into the packaging. SQ-wise, detail levels are not price-topping, but they're plenty respectable. The sound is pleasant, probably best described as a mild-V.

With LPG it became too analytical, bad recording sound bad, and excellent recording sounded very good.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does LPG mean? I only know of liquefied petroleum gas...
blink.gif

I like that they have seemingly optimized the TWFKs vent option and spent some time on controlling it's peak. I hope to get a chance to hear these. I know some will question the price but I think the build and design warrants it. 

The peaks are definitely controlled; it's one of the most gentle TWFK-only earphones I've heard. The price is a little high, but the housings feel built to last, and the screw-in SSMMCX is great --- very secure. The cables do seem a little chintzy, but at least they're replaceable if they fail.

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #516 of 523
Important question for me, does Shure olives fit on Q-Jays?

If you force the the bore to open up a bit more, yes.

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #517 of 523

Pardon my ignorance, but what does LPG mean? I only know of liquefied petroleum gas...
blink.gif

It is lotoo Paw Gold. To my ears I dont really think it is an obvious V shape sound. To me it is a very flat mid and bass with a little focus on the treble. I hear no 5khz sibilance which I am very sensitive to. Overall with acoustic music and simple guitars and piano I am happy but musics like cello or trance I am not really digging it.

Housing built quality is top notch and as you said the complete packaging is very high end which should help with the resale value. I can see myself using this with AK Jr alot.

Aug 17, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #518 of 523
  It is lotoo Paw Gold. To my ears I dont really think it is an obvious V shape sound. To me it is a very flat mid and bass with a little focus on the treble. I hear no 5khz sibilance which I am very sensitive to. Overall with acoustic music and simple guitars and piano I am happy but musics like cello or trance I am not really digging it.

Housing built quality is top notch and as you said the complete packaging is very high end which should help with the resale value. I can see myself using this with AK Jr alot.

I see. I'd probably like pairing it with the LPG.

Indeed, the V-shape is very mild. It's going to be hard for people to agree with that assessment, and I actually find it very acceptably flat as well, but I'm willing to bet that's what it'll look like when measured (properly) and equalized, as the midrange has a tendency to hide within the rest of the frequencies, despite being very clear.

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #519 of 523
If you could update the graph with measurements of some other common IEMs like the ER-4, that would be awesome and very highly appreciated! :)

Quote:
  Here are some quick q-JAYS 1st gen vs. 2nd gen. measurement over my homemade rig. Accuracy no guaranteed, but it should give you a rough idea.

q-JAYS%20FR.jpg

q-JAYS%201%20Imp.jpg

q-JAYS%202%20Imp.jpg

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #520 of 523
If you could update the graph with measurements of some other common IEMs like the ER-4, that would be awesome and very highly appreciated! :)

I am actually in the process of rebuild my measuring rig in order to improve the accuracy. The FR in the old graph above might have over-compensated on the bass, and the new measurement will be more neutral and hopefully better representing the actual FR curve. Anyway, it will take me a few days to dial in my rig and I will re-measure the q-JAYS, as well as ER4.

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #521 of 523
Here is the new measurement, q-JAYS 2nd Gen vs. ER4P.

q-JAYS-ER4.jpg

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #523 of 523
  That's quite a contrast. What is going on at 7k there?

It is a DIY rig and isn't 100% calibrated, so don't over focus on how high a peak goes. It is still a roughly 10dB peak if you compare 4Khz to 7kHz, but the flatter bass range now makes the peaks look higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back