James444's IEM giveaway thread (competition has ended - see post #344 and #354 for winners!)
Aug 7, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #76 of 428
Ah, the Atrio M5's, I was looking at those (along with the Panasonic HJE900) as an upgrade to my Kilpsch S4. The Kilpsch have too much of a muffled midrange, and is a bit too sibilant for my taste. From what I've read, the M5s also have a wider perceived soundstage than the S4, which I too have found to be lacking in comparison to previously owned IEM's. I'd love to buy either the M5 or the HJE900, but I've gone way over budget when it comes to audio equipment for the month, after buying a Zune HD and a pair of iGrados for a gift.

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #77 of 428
This is am awesome idea for a thread and very generous of James444
ksc75smile.gif

It would be nice to try the ATH-CKM70 from Audio-Technica straight out of my phone as it's supposed to produces louder sound with good range. I would like to have a quality IEM that can get a little louder without an external amplifier, plus I am a bit disappointed with the TF-11 and Er-6i that I alternate with my Nokia 5800 now.

The JVC HP-FX500 also looks very interesting with its "wooden dome unit", combined with what they are calling the "hybrid structure system" which consists of a large brass ring housing to supposedly "minimize vibration and energy loss". I'm a sucker for wooden headphones, but haven't tried any wooden IEMs.

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #78 of 428
Awww, I wanted to score myself a cactus! D:
Seriously though, this is a real act of random kindness, and for those of you who catch that movie referecnce, you know the significance of liviling life by One Act of Random Kindness at a Time ;D

Anyway, I'll try and keep this brief, but here's my review.

I'm a massive fan of the CK10s, much to the dismay of my best friend (from whom I constantly "borrow" them
wink.gif
). They are the only balanced armature set I've ever enjoyed (and the first I ever heard), and I must say they set the bar pretty high. Their only noticable downside to me is the straight angled plug. Sit down with this plugged in your pocket and prepare to get stabbed in the hip (not to mention the bulk and damage risk if dropped etc.) They also don't fit me particularly well- I have fairly large ear canals and these phones are pretty damn small, but I cant blame AT for my abnormal head size
rolleyes.gif
. Besides, I eventually managed to get a nice seal (with the aid of some MASSIVE tips), and wow. The bass response, whilst I find not quite as warm as some dynamic sets (like some senn's for example), shines through incredibly, providing detailed and crisp reproduction of every track in my ridiculously wide taste of music genres. That said, bassheads will not be pleased- as with every BA set ive heard to date, they lack that "oomph" factor you get from dynamic drivers, so IMO steer clear of these if you're using them exclusively for Drum'n'Base or Dubstep etc..

To sum them up- I'd say these are incredible phones, but shine brightest for someone who is focusing on the detail and presenation of music. For "fun" sounding phones, I'd still take a dynamic set out.

I hope I win, but even if I don't, I want to thank you for the genorosity anyway on behalf of every Head-Fi'er here. <3

- Cloud

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #79 of 428
Wow,  very generous giveaway James. I'm glad that you're liking the FI-BA-SS  enough reach your stopping point (for now at least
biggrin.gif
) and to giveaway the rest of your collection. (and I bet your wife is pretty glad too, huh?)
wink.gif

If I do end up being one of the winners of your giveaway, I would very much appreciate receiving the ck100. While I am interested in hearing how it sounds, I confess that a big part of the appeal is the great build quality and what looks to be a pretty easy fit. Too many IEMs give me problems with fit, so finding something that slides in easily, and is extremely robust to boot, would be just great.

Thanks again, and happy six year anniversary!

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #81 of 428
Sorry for the second post here james but I actually changed my mind. I would love to hear the FX500. I've heard the CK100 and the mids aren't for me. The only thing that interests me about the FX500 are the JVC timbre which is supposedly amazing but I would like the chance to hear it for myself.

Of course if I hated the phone or found that it got no use I would pass it along the same way.

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #82 of 428
Thanks, James!  Rather than have them gather dust, you're going to give to the community...very nice.

I am happy with my IE8's, but would like to try a BA driver-based phone and cannot afford another top-tier IEM for some time...I've been buying and returning things to keep what I like the very best and spend carefully.

Although I am in California, there have not been any meets here that I have seen.

The CK-100's or any of the IEMs that are known for their treble are what I have been wishing that I could try as a top-tier.  That way they complement rather than replace what I have...

I am also interested in the JVC as I do like dynamic drivers (just haven't had the chance to try Balanced Armatures)...or the ATH-CKM70.

If you can let go of these sets, I'll have to study and learn from the set-up that you settled on listening to.

Thanks again!

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #84 of 428
Very generous, James. Wish there would be more people like you here. Don't worry guys, I don't need any of James' iem, as I am still waiting for my custom to come back from refit, better let other people who deserve them more get them.  

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #85 of 428

First of all, wow, way to give back to the community!  This is extremely generous, as stated by nearly everyone here.

Okay, as for the IEMs…I admit I had to do significant research on all of them, as I didn’t really know anything off the top of my head about them (kind of a n00b to the hobby, though a passionate one at that).  It was really interesting to see how different they all are!  I'm a little unsure about the FX500s and  the PR2s.  I am slightly concerned about being overwhelmed by bass, but Shigzeo can write a very compelling endorsement (FX500s), and I am quite curious as to how wooden earbuds would sound.

The PR1 Pro sounds very nice based on the reports of it being a very relaxing IEM with a large soundstage and it not causing fatigue.  I listen to music a lot while doing other things, so that is a great plus.

The Atrio M5’s main plus for me is that it sounds good even at low volumes, which is important for me. I understand that some people don't like how they look, but I really don't care about that.  It is all about the sound!  All the reviews and impressions I've read have been mostly very positive.  

But of course, I can’t deny that I started drooling (literally, lol) the minute I started reading about the CK100s. The review on mytouchapps had me leaning closer and closer to the screen.  Great build quality, a fun, airy sound, and an emphasis on treble and high-mids, and “high female vocals are special, especially when accompanied by high-voiced instruments. They shimmer on edge and grow into previously empty spaces. The effect is live, big and enraptures the listener”.  OH. LORDY. I listen to a lot of choral music, and just adore the sound of  the soaring voices of both females and boy trebles.  Female vocalists such as Emmy Rossum, who was absolutely splendid in the film adaptation of The Phantom of the Opera, deserve special treatment, and I must admit that I about peed in my pants when I saw that one of the review albums on the mytouchapps review was Phantom of the Opera.“Best tuned for acoustic and vocal music but star performer in any genre”…need I say more?

The lack of microphonics (Sieg9198), shigzeo’s extremely positive impressions, Gooleli’s praise of the highs, mids, and the sound of string instruments and saxophones (Kenny G anyone?), and Kwang411’s report of them not being fatiguing all combine to produce a picture of a very impressive set of ‘phones that, while not for everyone, seem to be loved by people looking for this type of sound.

I am not blind to the weaker points in these buds.  I know that they are not suited to music that needs a gritty feel, or that is slow and low (although Sieg9198 reported improvement in bass after burn-in). The mytouchapps review reported hissing from your audio source, be it high end or low, while Sieg9198 reported no hissing at all. Neither of these issues really concerns me.  It is slightly disappointing that they are, as James444 reports, unable to push out the full sound pressure of an orchestra, but again, the pros vastly outweigh the cons.  Plus, they are triple drivers, and I’d love to hear what multiple drivers sound like.

Oh geez, just saw how long this is.  Cut of some of my M5 and PR1 pro stuff to make more space.  :p  Sorry!  Good luck to everyone!

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #86 of 428
Thanks for your generosity James 
eek.gif

I would love to hear the Cyclone PR1 Pro since I have read that they were one of the best sub 60 $ IEMs. Since I'm only a 17 year old student I have a fairly low budget and i could only afford the RE0, and i just love them, i've read that the Cyclones are very similar.

Obviously every IEM would be fantastic, since i have listened to so few earphones I'm still a newbie.
I also live near you, in Milano, Italy 
beerchug.gif

Good luck to everybody and thanks again James

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #87 of 428
James is a great head-fier!!!

Aug 7, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #88 of 428
Wow, I saw the thread title and thought, "Cool James is giving away an IEM." But 6! thats crazy.

That's a really nice thing to do. Head-Fi is one of very few communities were something like this can take place. It's great.

I hope it goes to someone just starting out though, it would make a great impression on that person and help jumpstart their journey into this hobby with nothing less than with some of the most recognizable IEMs. The first pair are what make your future here, well maybe now that I think about it may not be a good thing. This place is a cash sucker. haha.

If I had a choice in trying any of those IEMs it would be either the FX500 or the CK100. The JVC because the wood is infamous around these parts and who wouldn't want to just sit there and admire that wooden beauty. And the CK100 because I've only ever tried dynamic driver IEMs and would love to at least sample a balanced armature set.

But good luck to everyone and here's to a new member winning a pair!

Aug 7, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #89 of 428
"It is hard, if not impossible, to snub a beautiful woman - they remain beautiful and the rebuke recoils.” -- Winston Churchill

The same truly applies for the ATH-CK100, this set of beauties will make anyone want to listen to them solely on the fact that it’s more sex’d out than Jolie itself, and it’s bodacious sound makes people want to get it for themselves even if it means they have got to sell their houses!

Would love to listen Beethoven’s Sonata Apassionata with them. After listening to them on my friend’s friend HD650, nothing I mean nothing I own or I can own, can give me that feeling I got with the HD650 on.

I think I would love the CK100 with it’s emphasizing midrange and the tight bass.

After reading through the reviews and impressions though very few seem to own it, I think these IEM’s would normally work excellently with any genre you throw at it, in my opinion these would do exceedingly well with artists like Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Opeth...

Quoting james444 himself -- “IMO the CK100 are pretty unusual IEMs, their sound signature is not for everyone. Plus, they are very source dependent, the pickiest out of all my IEMs. I only recently discovered that they sound much better with my new Sony A845 than with my Cowon or Fuze, therefore they get more playtime again.” from Trysaeder’s thread.

I would get any setup only to do justice to these impeccable piece of earphones!!

I think I just lost my mind with the faintest prospect of ever owning a CK100!!!

Thank You for your munificent gesture. And congratulation’s to the one who wins, though I really hope it is me.
atsmile.gif

Aug 7, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #90 of 428
Wow, 8 1/2 hours in and there are already 6 pages...   It's been said many times over, but deserves repeating... Thank you james for your generosity.

The CK-100's and the JVC FX500 are on my list of IEM's to hear, for a few different reasons; 

The 100's are very appealing to me as I've read that they are known for their sparkly highs and forward mids.  As a fan of Grado Headphones, they intrigue me.  When I had my IE8's, I longed for some shine.  I started to research for options and came across a number of reviews. One review stood out for me as it compared the CK-100, the IE8 and the TF10.  This review sent me searching for more info on the 100's:

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1000337

After finding out their price, I had to move on.. Shortly thereafter, I traded my IE8's for my Grado 325i's and I've had them ever since.  I love the highs and the mids of my Grado's and I'd love to compare the 100's to them. 

The FX500 are appealing as well.  After hearing the Playaz N3, I've wondered what the JVC FX's would sound like.  I can only imagine that with a better driver and better build quality they should sound even better than the Playaz. 

Good luck to everyone and thank you again James..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back