James444's IEM giveaway thread (competition has ended - see post #344 and #354 for winners!)
Aug 7, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #47 of 428
I like the sound of the CK100s.

Something that is in-ear and not too bass heavy would be ideal due to mainly being used to open-backed midfi over-ears. Slightly put off bass-heavy IEMs due to having bad experience with a cheapish pair of Sony MDR-EX85s. The tight, light bass offered by the CK100s would be something I wouldn't necesarily expect from IEMs going from what I've read, and something fairly undesirable by the masses, but being a user of not so bass-heavy stand-mounted Totem loudspeakers and not the bassiest over-ears in the world (HD580, 600 and K701s), they sound like a good compromise to me.

I don't feel like I'm qualified to say much more as audio is so subjective.

None of the others appear to be even slightly modestly bassy, but if they're free, who am I to complain?!

beerchug.gif

Aug 7, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #48 of 428
Congrats on your 6th year here! This is a great way to give back to the community and help out a few people.

I'd like to be in the running for the chance at these great headphones. I listen to a variety of music, mostly rock and classical. I use my iPhone 4 for music listening, with all ALAC (vinyl or CD or HDCD sources).

As an 18 year old in the US, I don't have the money to spend on top-tier IEMs. Months ago, I tried to buy a set with research from here, but I ended up saving the. money for college. These headphones would be perfect for me to start my way into audiophile heaven. I have read reviews (like joker's) on the ATH-CK100's, and I believe I have a capable source of music to bring out it's full potential. I've read great things about the JVC FX500 and the ATH-CKM70. As for the others, I tried to raise money for buying IEMs so that's why I haven't spend time on researching them.

If you select me, I can assure you that I would take care of the 'phones as if I were borrowing them. I would review them, and bring out the IEM's full potential.

Thanks for such an awesome thread. Sorry for any typos, I am typing from my iPhone. Again, thank you james444, and hopefully you can help out this noob :)

Aug 7, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #49 of 428
I haven't heard the Cyclone's, but I do have the PR200'sm which are supposed to be similar. I love them, use them at the gym. Very generous offer! :wink:

Aug 7, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #50 of 428
Hi James

Put me in the hat please. I like the look of those CK100s, if only cos I didnt get on with the CK10s and I'm intrigued to see how they compare.

If I dont like them, I'll sell them to fund my girlfriend's upcoming MA degree in Child Psychotherapy, cos I am kind like that.  So if you dont let me win them, you'll be breaking her heart. Hope you can live with that mate.

Aug 7, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #52 of 428
Hello James444,

I am not participating in the giveaway, but I just wanted to comment on your generosity. Even before this nice gesture from you, I always felt you were (and are) a class act here on head-fi. Head-fiers like you make me glad I joined this community in the first place, and it erases any minute negative experiences I might have had. So, here's my way of tipping my e-fedora to you. Good luck to the participants. Thanks for being good people James.

EricP

Aug 7, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #53 of 428
I'm interested in the Fx500s because of it's known to have an incredible timbre that should amaze me for the genres I listen to (jazz & classical). I also listen at low volume levels and thus the signature of these iems which are said to be V shaped should help because V shaped FRs usually tend to be more balanced at these low volume levels.

Also interested in the CK100 because I have a good source (sflo2&t3d), which should help me drive this demanding iem. It is generally mid focused and so I would be intrigued since mid focused iems have been a hit or miss for me. They are also said to have good separation and imaging which is a quality i really enjoy in an iem.

lastly the PR1s should complement the SBs which are a mid priced iem that i've enjoyed immensely. I've tried the M1s thanks to joker and have really liked the housing which is shared by them. They are vented (which is a plus for a DD imo), insert deeply and is easily adjustable due to the shape of the housing.

This is very generous a very generous deed and would like to thank your input regardless of the winner

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #55 of 428
Hi,

Thanks for your generosity! It's not something you see every day and it makes everyone feel a little bit closer to the community. I have been looking at the ATH-CK100, for a while now and been reading up a lot about them over here. This is mostly because it seems they would go great with Trance, and that's pretty much all I listen to.

I beleive Trysaeder has come quite close to describing the sound that I'm looking for - "Fast, lean and airy, it gives a great sparkly feeling, which I am addicted to." 
in his review here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/483569/audio-technica-ck100-review

Unfortunately, its not easy to get these earphones in India and also with the conversion rate I'm also at a bit of a stretch with the price of ~400 USD. Hopefully, this will be a blissful IEM which will come close to making me really feel the sound of trance that I crave. I'll just have to keep at it with my current q-jays for now -- and they are pretty nice too.

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #57 of 428
wow, how incredibly generous of you.

i cant say i deserve any as a have more than one or two IEM's as it is and my obsessive nature means i dont like to part with things so im not likely to do likewise but......

all bar the fk500 are of interest but particularly so the Atrio and the CK100.   both have been heralded as excellent at what they do but they are not naturally the sort of things im drawn to or expect to like enough that id wish to find and buy a set.

should you deem me worthy or receiving any id of course write up a full review.

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #58 of 428
Wow...what a giveaway... I'm interested in the CK100 from reviewers like Shigzeo. According to his review and others the build quality, the focus on the vocals and the titanium body is what makes this product great. I'll admit that I'm a "treblehead" and this iem sounds perfect to me.  One thing I did notice from reviewers is how they all said that even though the vocals are the main point of this iem, they managed to blend it nicely with the other frequencies. Because of the small size of the CK100 its perfect for people with small ears such as my older sister who is searching for a iem for about $70 dollars. I would just daydream how wonderful the iem would sound when I play a song from one of my favourite artist such as this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhUWgOZGq0w

The FX500 I used to have until it broke but one thing I do remember is the reverb that this iem could provide. The FX500 is a very unique iem since its outer housing is made of wood which provides a unique sound. The holes of the back side of the iem allowed the iem to provide more bass and perfect for bass lovers. A lot of people who owned this used to say that the high was too fatiguing but really I didnt notice but since im a minority of this issue it could be a minor problem for others. The cables were very nice as well, it wasnt thick and low microphonic. The FX500 is perfect for rap/hip hop, and trance.

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #59 of 428
 Very generous giveaway james444, And some very nice cacti in the background too lol  
L3000.gif

Enjoy the great IEM to whoever gets them!

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #60 of 428
Oh, lawdy, the CK100s are like my dream IEM. They seem to have the perfect sound for my tastes. I've spend months lusting for a good deal on them. I've read like every review I could easily find (joker's, shigzeo's, trysaeder's, a couple translated Japanese ones, and read through every CK100 thread, just because, and in the prospect that if I find a good deal on them, I can buy them without regrets.). From them, I gather that they have a rather bass-light sound (which is something I'm really looking for in a nice IEM, getting tired of a bassy sound really quickly), sound aurgasmic with piano and strings, sound "live" and big with rock, and a smooth and detail treble, which is probably my ideal sound. I haven't heard anything (not even my AKG K271s) sound all that hot, to my admittedly high standards, with piano and strings. I'd like  I'd like to know how nicely they pair with my very warm sounding Sony DAP. It'd also be fun to compare them to Monster's top offering, which is probably closer to a polar opposite. I'd put more, but I don't really want to write a novel. Long story short though, I want, nay, yearn for them for their colored mids and airiness.

Their supposed durability is really captivating too. They seem like a nice impromptu weapon if someone tries to mug me with them on.

Thanks for setting this thing up and please pick me because you feel sorry for the sonofabitch that over-researched these IEMs that I probably could never afford/justify paying $300 for!
biggrin.gif

Oh, the FX500 seem like an interesting little thing too. Haven't done enough research on them, but did consider getting them at one point, so read a sizable amount. From what I've read (you do mean for us to say what we've read right?), I think I'd have a lot of fun with its thick sound, with a nice V-shaped sound sig. They'd probably blow the water out of my Mee's haha. Their decay also really interests me. I also do like a harsh treble sometimes for some reason, and these would supply it.

I also researched the PR1s a bit too, but I'll let someone else have a go at them.

And if I do by some miracle get a pair, I'll be sure to make a nice review of them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back