Jaawa's HEADPHONExperience '09: Sennheiser CX 380 Sport II, FiiO E5 and Sennheiser PC 350 (Hero's Mod)
Aug 29, 2009 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Jaawa

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I've written a little review document about my first IEMs, the Sennheiser CX 380 Sport II, my newly modded Sennheiser PC 350's (Hero's mod) and about the nice FiiO E5 headphone amplifier. I've also tested the mentioned headphones with the FiiO [size=xx-small](plus even gave a spin to the Sennheiser HD 650 and the Denon AH-D2000)[/size].

Here is an URL to the .PDF:
Jaawa's HEADPHONExperience '09.pdf

Thanks for reading,
I hope you enjoy!

[size=xx-small]PS. here's the original thread of the Hero's mod for the Sennheiser PC 350, that was mentioned in the review[/size]

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sipa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Way to go,

Nice review.

Thanks, glad you liked it
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, really great reviews mate.

Thank you,

It took me a while but I managed to write the '09 document while it's still the year 2009. I hope to continue the series with a 2010 doc', I have a targeted a new DAC and a desktop AMP, for the D2000, but we'll see how it goes
smily_headphones1.gif

For now, I would like more feedback on how I did with this one, 150 views and only two comments leave me to worry if people are generally disappointed in this '09 document, as the '08 document was so much more discussed ..or was it simply the gear in question that had that effect?

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 23
very well done!

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #7 of 23
Jaawa, a fantastic review...thanks so much on your effort. I really like how it's in essay form. It had a very nice structure and it flowed well for me and, oh yes, nice integration of pictures for impact. I'm amazed too at the abilities of the E5 and for me the E3 has it's place in my inventory- oh heck, you just can't pass up the bang for the buck with these FIIOs.

Also, might I add, I really like the test tracks and how descriptive you were on them. It helped me out hearing your reviews of the tracks too....I'll have to check out some of the artists/albums you mentioned....I'm especially interested in CMX and Carbon Based Lifeforms.

Thanks!

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 23
Finally had the time to read your reviews. Very nicely done, makes me think I should try out a FiiO E5 for my D2000.

Sep 1, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very well done!

Thanks for the compliment
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jaawa, a fantastic review...thanks so much on your effort. I really like how it's in essay form. It had a very nice structure and it flowed well for me and, oh yes, nice integration of pictures for impact. I'm amazed too at the abilities of the E5 and for me the E3 has it's place in my inventory- oh heck, you just can't pass up the bang for the buck with these FIIOs.

Also, might I add, I really like the test tracks and how descriptive you were on them. It helped me out hearing your reviews of the tracks too....I'll have to check out some of the artists/albums you mentioned....I'm especially interested in CMX and Carbon Based Lifeforms.

Thanks!

Thank you for the constructive feedback and compliments. About the bands, CMX is an old Finnish rock-band that started out in 1984-ish as a HC-punk band and has gone through and evolution like no other band I've ever heard. They play avantgarde rock now, or you can't really define it, as it's unique and still so different between their albums. Their latest album is Talvikuningas (Winter king), and it's an epic scifi space-rock piece that's basicly just one 1-hour track that's divided into 12 parts or scenes. Really awesome stuff that one, they sing in Finnish but still worth it musically even if you don't get the lyrics.

Carbon Based Lifeforms is ambient chillout music, with some electro dub aspects. Worth checking out if you like chillout or space-themed sounds, or that's how I feel about this artist, I respect the feelings the music gives me.

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by genpatton7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally had the time to read your reviews. Very nicely done, makes me think I should try out a FiiO E5 for my D2000.

Thank you for reading! I really liked the combination of the E5 with the D2000, of course one shouldn't go too far with praising a budget amp, but for the money, the synergy was a real surprise to find.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by APWiseman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you use Comply Foam Tips with the Sennheiser CX 380 Sport 2?

Yes I'm quite sure that these Comply tx400 foam tips will fit the CX 380 Sport II, just as they fit the CX 300 II and 380 models, the structure of the driver armature casing should be identical.

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #12 of 23
I've had my CX-380s for about a month and a half, and I've loved them quite dearly. However, sometime this week they stopped pushing with any sort of depth. I have to turn them out VERY loud to even hear the music, much less hear it like I'd like to. These are my first pair of IEMs, and so I'm almost certain that I'm doing something wrong here, and I do feel like maybe I've started inserting them incorrectly, even though I haven't changed the way I'm inserting them. Can anyone help me out here? Is it the CXs or is it me?

Thanks for your help!

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrrty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my CX-380s for about a month and a half, and I've loved them quite dearly. However, sometime this week they stopped pushing with any sort of depth. I have to turn them out VERY loud to even hear the music, much less hear it like I'd like to. These are my first pair of IEMs, and so I'm almost certain that I'm doing something wrong here, and I do feel like maybe I've started inserting them incorrectly, even though I haven't changed the way I'm inserting them. Can anyone help me out here? Is it the CXs or is it me?

Thanks for your help!

But you should at least momentarily hear the correct volume when you turn the IEM around in your ear. Possible scenarios are that they're clogged with earwax, the plug/wires are damaged in some way, or the connection to the armature inside the IEM is damaged due to banging on a surface. Have you cleaned them properly? When you hold them close to your ear and shake them, do you hear anything moving? Have you ever used them in freezing temperatures? Inspect the plug, if you can find any signs of damage. Do you use other headphones with the same source, are you sure it's the CX 380 that can't perform, or if the source is ok?

Can't think of anything else right now, hope your IEMs are ok.

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #14 of 23
It's definitely the IEMs; my iPod headphones work just fine. Thanks for the tips--I'm gonna try cleaning them out. I'll let you know if they're still not fixed.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back