I've been gone for a while; catch me up on DAC/amp setups for an iPhone in the office?
Mar 26, 2012 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
I've spent the last year or so finishing of my thesis, and now it's good to be back (and at a real job!).

So, I'm thinking of using my iPhone 4S (and iPad 2) as my sources at work, mainly listening through a Grado RS1. I'd like to know what's available these days in terms of DAC/amp options that don't take up too much desk real-estate. I've been seeing things about Fiio E9s for iPhone; is that any good? That seems the kind of thing I'm looking for: something I can plug my iPhone into to give the RS1 a little more goodness. Are there better options?

Also, I have an iBasso D10. I could just get a LOD and put the D10 between my iDevices and the RS1, but that means my iPhone isn't charging, which is unideal. Thoughts?

Mar 26, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
I've spent the last year or so finishing of my thesis, and now it's good to be back (and at a real job!).

So, I'm thinking of using my iPhone 4S (and iPad 2) as my sources at work, mainly listening through a Grado RS1. I'd like to know what's available these days in terms of DAC/amp options that don't take up too much desk real-estate. I've been seeing things about Fiio E9s for iPhone; is that any good? That seems the kind of thing I'm looking for: something I can plug my iPhone into to give the RS1 a little more goodness. Are there better options?

Also, I have an iBasso D10. I could just get a LOD and put the D10 between my iDevices and the RS1, but that means my iPhone isn't charging, which is unideal. Thoughts?

Given that the lollygaggers who have responded to this point seem to know a lot less than you do, I'll give it a shot:

Take a good look at the Pure i-20:  http://www.pure.com/products/product.asp?Product=VL-61429

It's not 'just another dock', and it will charge your iPhone while you listen to music in your office. You already have a good pair of phones, albeit with little isolation, and a good amp - dont mess around with a LOD when you intend using this thing in a stationary environment with ready access to wall sockets. You might have to source a cable to connect the i-20 to your D10, but if I found one in this tiny burg I'm sure you will have no problems. 

For the Fiio fanboys and assorted comedians, you've been a real help. Get a life. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 10
Don't forget to get the Apple Camera Connection Kit which allows you to use the D10 as a USB DAC with your iPad 2.

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 10
Hi jonathan, always nice to have a Head-Fi vet make his/her return.

The following's based on info I read up, not firsthand testing:

Fiio's E9i (special version of the E9) has a dock that lets you dock a small iDevice. The E9i's still amp only, though, and I don't know if it will charge the iDevice when docked. Regular E9's have a dock that's meant for their USB DAC, the E7.

If you just want to LOD your iPhone and iPad, I think you could grab a LOD/stand instead of an E9i; that would free you from a single device that's both LOD and amp.

For DACs, there's only a handful of DACs that will work with both your iPhone and iPad. Jude recently praised the CypherLabs AlgoRhythm Solo (aka "CLAS"), and I heard about HRT having an iStreamer.

For DAC+Amp, the Fostex HP-P1 is the only device I know of. It will work as both DAC and amp for all iDevices; I think it can also function is pure DAC or amp, if you so desire.

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 10
Mar 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #8 of 10
Alas, the camera connexion kit trick didn't work. Insufficient power. .

Even with the camera kit, the iPad can only deal with an USB device that sucks less than 100mA. Even though D10 might have internal battery, it could still draw too much battery from the iPad for it to work. One way to get around is to use the camera kit with a powered USB hub, then connect the hub to the DAC.

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Even with the camera kit, the iPad can only deal with an USB device that sucks less than 100mA. Even though D10 might have internal battery, it could still draw too much battery from the iPad for it to work. One way to get around is to use the camera kit with a powered USB hub, then connect the hub to the DAC.

I thought the iPad (or more precisely the iOS) limit was 20mA. I've seen recommendations of Dr. Bott's T3Hub which fakes the iOS to think it's externally powered.

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:

I thought the iPad (or more precisely the iOS) limit was 20mA. I've seen recommendations of Dr. Bott's T3Hub which fakes the iOS to think it's externally powered.

I think it's more than 20mA but either way you can use one of these to "inject" power
http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockStubz.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back