ITT: Head-Fi gives me Superior Alternative to Dr. Dre Solo HD Beats (Bass/Crispness)
Dec 30, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:
I didn't say anything about them not having great sound. I own a pair of Grados and I love them. But they do not have a great sound stage. I wouldn't even go as far as saying they have good sound stage. Like I said before...separation is really good IMO, sound stage not so much.

Separation is part of soundstage. Deep vs wide. Grado IMO is terrible in both aspects. I hear the guitar running all over the place in Grados. Totally drowns out the rest of the other instruments and vocals.

Quote:
Quote:
My vote is for the AKG K271 MKIIs, at $149.00 on amazon. They have great bass (which is essential based on the genres listed), as well as they are close and nearly cancel noise, similar to the Beats. No need to worry about muddy vocals either, they have pretty crisp highs.

Although they wont be as transparent as Grados, they will sound noticeably better than the Beats.

these look good and have great reviews, but a lot of people comment that the bass is a little on the week side. would these be good for listening to hip hop and techno/synth music?

I had the AKG K271. I say they are very impressive analytical cans, but from what I experienced they are even more difficult to drive than K701. The bass was most certainly lacking. It's good for classical music, but don't bother with pop, rock, or hiphop. Ultrasone PRO 550 is a better choice if you want bass impact and soundstage.

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #17 of 21

Quote:
Quote:
My vote is for the AKG K271 MKIIs, at $149.00 on amazon. They have great bass (which is essential based on the genres listed), as well as they are close and nearly cancel noise, similar to the Beats. No need to worry about muddy vocals either, they have pretty crisp highs.

Although they wont be as transparent as Grados, they will sound noticeably better than the Beats.

these look good and have great reviews, but a lot of people comment that the bass is a little on the week side. would these be good for listening to hip hop and techno/synth music?

Yeaaaah...no. Hardly. I LOVE my K271s, but if you want bass, look the opposite direction, and run.

Honestly, I think diarreaic bass and great vocals is pretty much physically impossible in this price range. It's pretty much one or the other. Just...never listen to an L3000 or PS1. The XB500 had pretty recessed mids because of its bass. K271s have amazing vocals, but rather weak bass by most people's standards (I think it's perfectly fine though.) Properly damped Fostex T50RP? Closest thing I can think of, but booming bass isn't really it. Actually, just go with bangraman.

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #19 of 21
Might be part of sound stage but it is a separate enough aspect of it that you can have one good while the other not so good. Maybe you didn't have a proper setup or whatever but I'll disagree with your comments...with my system I have very good separation. I am not surrounded by  the sound which I attribute to the small sound stage however I can distinctly tell where the different instruments are located and they are not all muddled together. 

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't say anything about them not having great sound. I own a pair of Grados and I love them. But they do not have a great sound stage. I wouldn't even go as far as saying they have good sound stage. Like I said before...separation is really good IMO, sound stage not so much.

Separation is part of soundstage. Deep vs wide. Grado IMO is terrible in both aspects. I hear the guitar running all over the place in Grados. Totally drowns out the rest of the other instruments and vocals.

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #20 of 21
I find the bass in mine to be just fine for my hip hop and techno music, but if i ever want it to step up a notch I just EQ it, but that is never really needed in my opinion. It is all about how it sounds to you though

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #21 of 21
What about, Monster Turbines? XB700?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back